Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion Plague Fest Garry's Mod Zombie Survival

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by MoonChickenDogRat, Feb 15, 2018

What do you, the reader, think of this?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2018.
Not Interested 4 vote(s) 57.1%
Curious 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Approve 1 vote(s) 14.3%
  1. Sep 24, 2012
    Zombie Survival 2018 :: PlagueFest.com

1. Has this been entertained before? Garry's Mod Zombie Survival is a thriving gamemode. It offers an experience that's 2x that of CSS ZM in my opinion. This could really revitalize Plague Fest still in normal zombie fashion!

2. Many old CSS ZM maps can be repurposed for use in GMOD ZS. So it's never goodbye to old maps (ZE too!)
    Not to mention GMOD ZS has thousands of maps, you can upload them through your FTP or have the GMOD Workshop do the work for you.

3. Instead of shooting props into corners so that zombies cannot enter doorways like in CSS-- in GMOD ZS you nail props to doorways and adjacent walls to keep zombies out while leaving enough space to shoot. When I came back to play CSS ZM I couldn't believe I used to like this.

4. There are many different types of zombies. More powerful zombies are unlocked per wave. (There are 6 waves in one game.) Each wave lasts 3-5 minutes. Increasing per wave.

5. This is Garry's Mod.. everything is customizable by the administrator.

6. 128 player servers..

Garry's Mod is that it lacks the fine control that Counter-Strike: Source has. CSS guns are very precise and predictable, and the movement is smooth and confident. While Garry's Mod movement is too snappy and the guns have bloom.

GMOD uses considerably more system resources than CSS. Particularly low vram video cards when there are over 64+ clients running around on an unoptimized map.

The Gamemode:

I can assist in any way if this is something that the Plague Fest Administrators would want to take.
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    I am not a fan of gmod first off. ze plays and functions much much different from zm so those types of maps won't mix well in zs. There does exist zombie escape in gmod but it has proved to be inferior to css (Also, 64+ player mako? That would be a complete mess).
  3. Apr 26, 2015

This game mode is more comparable to ZM, not ZE.

Large Image Alert.
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    @Kyro, He mentioned ze. That's why I was trying to make a point.
  5. Mar 26, 2009

The problem with Gmod using more system resources is due to Lua, not because of unoptimized maps. Due to the single threaded nature of the Source engine, Lua functions must complete every client frame and this creates a lot of overhead. If you have lots of Lua code running, especially code that messes with visuals, it will destroy your frame rates.

Gmod servers are far more difficult to maintain because there is a whole lot more to worry about. Not withstanding the issues of cheating being far easier (due to client side Lua) and server hacks, Garry doesn't care about backwards compatibility or consistency in Gmod, meaning that your setup could break, and generally does break when the game is updated. The Gmod community has lost a huge amount of content over time that has never been replaced due to programmers getting sick of having to constantly adjust code for updates, and sometimes even having to completely rewrite large parts of their codebase because the Gmod team has in some cases drastically altered the Lua function base in the game.

I have done Lua programming from the game and I can tell you that when Lua was added in Gmod 9 until the most recent version of Gmod has changed so drastically that they might as well be completely different programming languages even though they have the same name.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      I've seen this in the other community and can confirm this to be true. These servers take a lot of work and the community often becomes resistant to any change or suggestions, which ends up frustrating a lot of their members.

The culture in GMOD is also very different. I think it'll attract a lot of people the staff members here would be less willing to handle.
    • Aug 21, 2017
      Who cares. Just throw money at it, get good hardware, profit.

I mean.... the server has at least 10 regular donators, and at least 10 regular admins. (Probably a lot more)

50 + 150 = 200$/mo Minimum.

More than enough for a server that can run ZM + GM:ZS, if not more. I mean if a 60$ server can run four 64 man Arma3 Exile servers then you can damn sure run two shitty source games on a 200$/mo server.
    • Mar 26, 2009
      You've clearly never run a Gmod server if you think throwing beefy hardware and money at the problem is going to get you a working, stable server.
    • Sep 24, 2012

An inexpensive VPS with 4GB of DDR4 RAM can run gmod zs for <$7. It would also run it very well.
    • Mar 26, 2009
      And you still aren't getting my point that hardware specs are irrelevant. Garry's Mod is an unstable game subject to performance issues on any platform, mostly due to to the Lua scripting system.

I've run a plethora of Gmod servers in dozens of configurations on a range of hardware since 2005, the game is not stable and will never be stable.
      • Informative Informative x 2