Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Please fix Nominations

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by jookbob, May 6, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 19, 2012
    I made a thread a while ago that pointed this out but it seemed to get ignored.

Why nomination system is broke:

Most of you already know why but for those who don't here's my explanation; People abuse the nomination system by nominating their favorite map at the very start, Before most have even connected, and they get the #1 spot along with about 10 extra votes on average from 1 spammers. How do we know 1 spammers exist? Pitchblack, a map which MANY people hate ( i love it but hear so much complaining ) was voted over predator 30 votes (pitchblack) to around 14 (predator) only because 20 people spammed 1 and the people who did not know what pitchblack was thought it was a good map that everyone likes. Point is people should not be able to force us to play their favorite map, when the majority actually do not want that map. People quick nom almost every round and I would say 70% of the time their map gets chosen. If you take a look at the server stats on gametracker you will notice that pred+mako are being played on the server 40% of the time even though there are something like 30 fun, playable maps.

Easy fix:
    Randomize nomination placements and limit max nominations to 4. Make it so that when someone nominates, whether it be at the start of the map or at the end, their nomination is placed randomly from 1-6. This would not stop 1 spammers but it would stop people from forcing maps on us which is the main problem. This would still give people a chance to play their favorite maps because they still can get the 1 spot if they are lucky, but it would not guarantee it.
  2. Aug 1, 2011
    Obviously if it was ignored before, making yet ANOTHER thread about it is not going to make it better. I believe the reasons why the nomination system is not going to be touched is reason enough. There have been enough threads about this, stop making more.
  3. Feb 11, 2012
    2. Nominate as first
    3. Profit = you can play any map with number 1
    + Get microphone and tell people what to vote!
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    You made a previous thread just like this? Then why would you make another? You're going to get the same answer. Instead of bitching about our server that WE allow YOU to play on for FREE, maybe you could try donating the $5 a month chump change. I seriously don't know anybody who can't make $5 in a month.

And just to clarify, #1 spot doesn't win every time. Whenever I'm on, other numbers than 1 get chosen. Anyways, the system would be the same if we changed it. Remove 1 spot, they'll spam 2. Remove 2 spot, they'll spam 3.
  5. Oct 29, 2010
  6. Jan 12, 2011
    This idea was actually discussed less than a week ago here - Vote Map. In the future, if you believe a topic requires discussion, please search first and read any previous threads for responses. Alternatively, you could PM a member of the Management as listed here. That way you can get the answer you seek right away.

Brian brought up the same idea you are suggesting and I think Momo sums up what may happen if we change things. It's a good idea, but there's always someone who complains.

As for any progress on this suggested improvement, I haven't a clue. I'd ask our someone from our Management. @Brian @Kyle @Josh
  7. Jan 21, 2011
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Zing! Zing! x 1
    • May 11, 2011
      do we really need to go over this yet again:sick:
    • Mar 19, 2012
      This shit is going to keep being brought up until its fixed. Brian has the right idea with the randomized voting per player. Majority of the people who are active on the forums are donators/admins and love the fact that they can use this trick to get their map voted (obviously who wouldnt) but this is purely from a normal players perspective which the majority of plaguefests players are.

TLDR; Tired of seeing this thread? FIX THE PORBLAM

EDIT: I'm willing to pay brian/whoever 5 dollars directly to see this problem be fixed
    • May 11, 2011
      yes not like we are going to get something like this about our new way.it is not broke lets live this dead horse alone
    • Aug 18, 2006
      Not quite as easy as you think, from a technical (coding) standpoint. I think it's a good idea, but it would be hard to make. It is my goal in the future to make randomized map votes on a per-player basis, however, from what I've seen, we'll need to create our own custom voting system to replace SourceMod's implementation (again, this isn't exactly an easy fix).

An easier fix that would help alleviate the issue is putting a time limit on the nominate command so you can't use it until ~3 minutes from map start, similar to that of rtv.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        No, it's not. You'll just be banned for spamming new threads.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Mar 19, 2012
          So instead of taking constructive criticism you ban your members trying to make the server more enjoyable for everyone?

And @Ray I'm glad to see that someone cares about this and is at least giving thought as to what can be done. But your idea of making nominations only have effect after X minutes wouldn't work because people would just figure out the time and still get #1 spot.

I still think reverse ordering the nominations would somewhat help.
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Bringing it up ONCE is fine, search the forums. Bringing it up multiple times in multiple threads, especially if its the same person doing it, is spamming the forums.

Suggestions have been made. Making more threads is not going to make anything go faster.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          No, we've already talked about this. It's not some simple fix. Management already have enough on their plate as it is right now, but like Ray said, it's being worked on in the future. And the banning would be for you constantly creating the same thread over and over, not suggesting improvements. No, I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just trying to get the point across that management already have this on mind and will be dealing with it how they see fit.

Or push all of this under the rug and drop $5 a month for donator.
        • Dec 7, 2010
          I personally don't feel its broken so its a non starter as far as I am concerned.
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Jul 19, 2011
            wait, so its ok to make the server play maps like drk ratrace and rollermine all day? i must try this when i play again.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jan 12, 2011
              Complaining about the thread repetition/redundancy or the people who post them doesn't help the Forums. Let's just cool down and wait for a definitive response.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jul 1, 2010
                There has been a definitive response multiple times.
              • Oct 29, 2010
                • Funny Funny x 1
                Thread Status:
                Not open for further replies.