Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Portal 2 - DLC 2

Discussion in Gaming started by Ghost, May 6, 2012

Is DLC2 amazing?

Yes 5 vote(s) 45.5%
No 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Bananas? 6 vote(s) 54.5%
  1. May 14, 2011
    • Feb 11, 2012
    • May 14, 2011
      This is why i am also kind of dreading this, mapping is surpossed to people who put in time and effort, not something you can whip up in 2 mins.

But i do have to say that VALVE did an excellent job at making mapping easy, lets just hope they dont do the same with Source SDK
    • May 15, 2011
      It's really cool, I will definitely use this when I get the time.

As for Ghost being a bitch, people already make shit maps with Source, so it never made a difference whether the program was simple to use or not, noobs will always plague us. They're like zombies. They're in your bathtub. Watching you piss where you shouldn't be. >:1
    • May 14, 2011
      O.o I mean that this may make mapping look really easy, If they did this by source sdk then you would get a tidal wave of maps that were a) rushed b) un-original

Imagine sorting through all those maps to find the good ones >.<
    • May 27, 2008
      Really good maps can be made in a small amount of time.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        Also just because the maps can be made quicker does not mean the will suck. With this, the good mappers will have so much more time, and they can make maps 10x better than what they use to, because now they have a tool that is quick, easy and effective. Sure, some retards will attempt to make maps but who the fuck cares. Those with the mind will be able to make amazing maps. And now people who couldn't learn to use Hammer have a tool to let them create in an amazing and easy way. Also, just because someone can learn a program does not mean they know how to map, especially for something like Portal. Now although I can map, I cannot map for Portal. It's a completely differnt level from CS:S or TF2 mapping, where our goal is to set paths in specific manners to allow the players advantages against other players. Portal, does not have this. Portal is about puzzles. So although someone can make maps in Source SDK, that does not mean they should be making maps for Portal, as the two are on a completely different level.
      • May 14, 2011
        Portal 2 mapping is, or rather used to be incredibly hard, thats why i said valve did a great job, but for the pro mappers, this program isnt good enough, this is more a sandbox program rather than mapping, you can plan things in this to create later.

I just hope they keep the fine line between maps made in hammer and maps made in this because the co-op maps made in hammer are truly amazing for portal. but because of the sheer number and ease of these new maps, they may be forgotten.
      • May 15, 2011
        Nonsense. Noob maps will always be noob maps. They will never over shadow the great ones, no matter how many shit maps are pumped out. Plus, what I really meant, was that the people who couldn't figure out the program, but have amazing ideas, now have a way to share that idea with us. I do not agree that just because you know how to work some fancy program means you are better than the average person.
      • May 14, 2011

I will try and post my first creation here. LOL it will be an epic fail but wth. :razz:

It would be nice if people could post their creations in this thread!
      • May 14, 2011
        Made a vid on how to use the DLC. Hoping to get some of the people who just want to watch a vid about it, hopefully i can get a few views because its out so early >.< .

Having problems with .avi/sony vegas atm.

As soon as I make the vid ill psot it up here. BTW Portal 2 COSTS £5.03 Thats bout $8 so get it now!
      • May 14, 2011
        Ghost, May 8, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, May 8, 2012
      • May 17, 2011
        I was just testing to see if it was possible to break the editor, and I did.(Went over the 8192 brush limit :grin:)

If anyone's curious, I did some testing and opened the file in hammer.
        • The mapping grid is 25x25x25, each square is 128x128 units(or 3200x3200x3200 units)
        • Every square is a 128x128x128 unit brush
        • Every object you place is a func_instance
        • It places a light every 512 units in every direction
        • Each square is a 128x128x128 brush, by maximizing the amount of visible squares you can go over the brush limit.
        Obviously nobody is going to go over the limit making a normal map.

With that said, this is a very useful sandbox tool. I thought it was very clever how they made it. Even if its not as advanced as making a map in Hammer, its an extremely useful planning tool.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          Yes thats why its good to use this tool to get the layout of your map, and then optimise it and add things on hammer afterwards, also the maps are quite dark but i guess that's the theme of it.