Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Possible hit markers when shooting zombies?

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Brett, Mar 20, 2012

1. Dec 6, 2011
    Not that I was a big fan, but what I really liked about the COD multiplayer is that they have "hit markers" for when you shoot your enemy. I know we already have the !ddisplay stuff, but I was thinking this would be a nice add-on. When you get the hit marker on your screen, you know your hitting your enemy, and with the added sound affect of the hit, it makes it seem more fun to shoot. I know it's hard to explain but you guys should know what I mean. If your not totally sure what I'm talking about, watch when the person shoots the enemy in the video below.

Here's the MW2 version of the hit markers, listen for the extra sound added when the hit-markers appear:

That "thumph-thumph-thumph-thumph" when you hit somebody makes shooting other's a little more entertaining. If you would notice, games with hit markers seem to be generally more entertaining than those without. @Brian @Kyle , would this be hard to setup? Could we give it a try on the training server possibly?

Also, before shooting this down, please try out a game with hit-markers first :grin:
  2. May 27, 2008
    That would be so goddamn annoying on ZM..
  3. McKay
    This message by McKay has been removed from public view. Deleted by McKay, Mar 20, 2012.
    Mar 20, 2012
  4. Feb 20, 2011
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    Doesn't have to be sounded at 100%, it can be a little quiet sound. And it could possibly be toggled on and off? You shouldn't shoot something down before you try it.
  6. Jan 7, 2009
    Maybe if there was a sound to go with it, it could just be put on ZE, and not ZM, or possibly have an option to turn it off. ZM there isn't really a need to know when you hit the zombie, since most of the time you're just sitting in one spot shooting in the same direction at zombies coming your way, and I can see the sound getting a little annoying. I think a visible marker (like maybe making a small red X flash over the crosshair) would be a neat thing, if it wouldn't be too difficult or time-consuming to implement. I know I like having the little X that flashes when you hit someone in Nuclear Dawn or Farcry 2, and the "ding" sound in TF2.
  7. Apr 9, 2007
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    I'm not sure how the whole thing works with plug-ins. Does it have to be a HL2 sound? I have no clue how this stuff works O.O
  9. Jun 4, 2006
    It doesn't have to be but its silly not to. Saves a download.
  10. Nov 29, 2010
    I wouldn't go with having a sound, how about something that pops up that indicates you hit something.

Didn't we have a zombie damage plugin?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Why limit it to Zombie Mod? I wouldn't mind this on MG...
    • Jun 4, 2006
      Anything like this or similar would always be an opt-in toggle. Not saying it'll happen, but if it did...
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Could be on all servers, as a toggle, with the sound and the visual hit marker as separate toggles. As for the sound, possibly a small "thumph" like in the MW2 video I posted, possibly a tiny bit quieter. I don't see any harm in this at all. If it isn't liked, then those who don't like it can just keep it off?

Also, it'd be a map concern if somebody wanted to apply this to a boss, like the predator, right @Brian ? (sorry for the multiple tags today)
    • Jun 4, 2006
      Well the default would be off, you have to opt-in so naturally anyone who dislikes it will just toggle it off.

fuck if i know :bugeyes:
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Lol alrighty. I'll try looking for that sound now..
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Client hits only. We're not doing boss detection at the time of this writing...
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Ofc lol. Was only a 'shot in the dark' suggestion.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      And to make things a little more clear just in case @Quietly Yell :
      [IMG]

There may be other gcf's / dir's with sounds but that's a good start.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Alright thanks. Thought we could give the MW2 sound a shot but I guess not. Kyle, no need to be so blunt, I don't have the knowledge that you may have =\

I was originally looking through the sounds using Hammer, by looking under Raw sounds, since it had an autoplay feature.