Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Possibly a new Minecraft global update?

Discussion in Minecraft started by AgoraphobicNosebleed, Feb 7, 2012

1. Aug 25, 2009
    So Ive seen some test videos on youtube and sources on google about this. Anyone hear of a new global update coming out for Minecraft? Been hearing and seen a few videos of where they have added jungles, ocelots, fireballs and potion xp's. Also you can tame the ocelots and turn them into ordinary house cats. They also chase creepers away. I have had a small discussion about this with Dharkk already, just wanted to know if anyone knows any more about this. IF an update comes out hopefully they will come up with something that wont require an entire map change and everything that has been built will be lost.
  2. Jan 12, 2011
    Indeed there is a new update coming out sometime (soon?), but it shouldn't require a map restart. One of the big things being worked on is the backwards compatibility of updates, so it doesn't mess up old saves. However, since it preserves the old world data, the only way to generate the new biomes is to explore new territory, which the server is running out of. Even then, it'll be quite a hike to the possible generations on the edges of the map to find ocelots and bring them home. Unless ocelots spawn in places other than jungles, I don't think we'll be seeing many of them on the server. Everything else should work though.
  3. Mar 12, 2008

Easy to start over and be able to have people go to their locations/groups/etc and be able to see the new content, as opposed to trying to expand the borders and go from there.

There will always be a hovel.
  4. Aug 1, 2011
    I do not want to build my dirt fort again. No thank you.
  5. Jul 1, 2010
    It is possible to export current structures if a map change is decided upon, although Haplo and I haven't even thought about changing the map, or if we would allow schematic exports. If this was allowed, it would probably only be large structures that would take a while to rebuild.

Minecraft has always supported keeping your own map and generating new biomes added to the game via exploring areas that have not been generated, so this is nothing new. What they have worked on is transitions in to biomes so things look a lot smoother. The entire map essentially is generated already though.

There is also the possibility of doing a second VERY SMALL map, because in all honesty.. our current map is freaking huge (around 800mb IIRC, and thats just the regular world) so I don't really feel that extending the current borders is feasible.
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    If the new 'small' map is a snow biome this would be for the best.

Legitimately though, if MC continues to move... we should as well. If people want their works ported create a smaller world with smallish biomes to support this.
  7. Mar 12, 2008
    I'm gonna suggest to whoever runs mojang to make beavers that only attack canadian clients.
  8. Apr 2, 2011

But seriously, I do think we should update and everything, and should we lose all that we have created? So be it (take screenshots to remember your creation once it is gone :razz:).
  9. Jun 4, 2006
    You guys are actually currently at something like 1.5 gigs, and since it's in ram.. MC is hogging about 5-6 gigs on an 8 gig box... :confused:

No more worlds, in other words.
  10. Aug 10, 2011
    I wouldn't mind the restart. The server is unforgiving to new players, you guys clearcut all the trees so by the time new players get to a forest they have 2/8 hunger left and have to get food, while getting said food they get attacked by mobs and die.

And the rumors are true, skeleton and zombie ai are also getting improved so they go around blocks.
  11. Jan 21, 2011
    So you want to restart the world every time a new player is added to the whitelist? I don't want to lose the work that I've done on the server.
  12. Jan 12, 2011
    I'd definitely support porting large structures. Porting personal homes or personal chest supplies not so sure about (I'm one to speak...), but it would be a huge disappointment if the time people have spent on the server was for nothing, including resource gathering. Maybe compromise with some resources to re-establish homes to get things rolling again? Hard to be fair, since different people have spent different times on the server and have gathered different things. :confused:

I don't think either another smaller map or expanding borders is the way to go. A small map would be nice, but everyone will want to make a place on it and then there'll be two overworlds with people shuffling around. Players might even move or stay exclusively in one, making the other basically useless. Expanding borders on the other hand is good to give more land to the current setup that players are used to, but the travel time will become even more brutal if people go from spawn to other places of the map regularly.

I say port large things to a new map, and either go all or nothing on personal things (I'd prefer all :razz: ).

Edit: Because I typically help players (new and regular) with things on the server, could my complex/ castle be part of the "large objects" list to be ported? I don't mean to start making a request thread in here, but maybe draw a distinction of what large structures are personal and public, just in case people like me actually mix the two?
  13. Feb 1, 2011
  14. Mar 12, 2008

If you built something using creative mode you probably shouldn't feel attached to it, and i don't mean to belittle your creations/work, but you have infinite resources on hand, unlike people that took time to farm and gather materials to build with.

Survival mode, as mentioned above, should be the decisive words on this. As i don't own much myself, and have only put holes in the floor, i am still in favor of wiping this map for a smaller one.

As brian mentioned, a large map like the one we have, we won't be able to expand, and not all of it was even being used. We usually have ~4-5 people max on at all times anyways, when it's got some population.

Replacing this bulky, large world, we can make sure that we get the new content when it's available, and we'll have a smaller, and more memory friendly world for the amount of people we have.
  15. Aug 1, 2011
    I am in favor of exporting large structures. I am particularly attached to my dirt fort. I honestly do not want to lose something I have spent countless hours on. It may not look like much, but dear lord that took a lot of time.
  16. Aug 18, 2006
    I'd say we restart from scratch too, but export various structures for those who want to save theirs (like my aircraft carrier... Spent many days on that).
  17. Jan 14, 2008
    So is the server coming back up anytime soon? :smile:

I'd be ok with a new map provided the plugins are working. Would be nice to move my existing structures too but that might be tricky since it relies on a certain water depth. And why can't those of us who gathered our own resources in survival get some of that moved over too? If everyone has to start from scratch then I'm sorry but there should be no more creative mode exceptions.

As for new player friendliness, I offered to build a nice welcome center at spawn but it was area protected. Before the rollback I was also mapping out and working on a new nether portal system instead of digging out tunnels on the surface world for weeks. Vadleon put a lot of work into trying to do the same thing near nether spawn but it was kind of a mess with all the other existing portals.

If and when it comes back up I'd like to start a spawn project on both levels and get public nether portals established before the unwashed masses start putting in theirs. Otherwise it's pain in the ass to not have them link to private portals.
  18. Apr 9, 2007
    All the focus was on the new site when Brian swapped OS installations. MC should be back Soon now that the site is up!

I have no answer for the rest of your questions.
  19. Jul 1, 2010
    Spawn isn't area protected.. it's built in to minecraft. Only OP's can edit spawn... However, that can be built off of spawn and then moved to spawn without really any issue.

Water depth really won't be too much of an issue with moving a structure, and I believe I know which one you are talking about.

I believe the dat files can be moved over to the next map folder.. so essentially you will have everything in your inventories if we were to switch... I'll have to test this though. I'm really of a mind for everyone to start fresh resource and level wise though.
  20. Jan 14, 2008
    Fair enough, I can build something for spawn then. And if we gotta start from scratch, so be it.

Are we waiting for the update to gen a new map, or will the old map be up to do some prep work before that happens?