Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Posting maps with custom content allowed on Gamebanana

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by JorisCeoen, Jan 6, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012

While looking at all the ideas in the Unlock Ideas contest on Gamebanana, I came across one idea where he stated the problem about custom content being dissallowed on GB, making people very discouraged releasing on GB.

This has been adressed and is now in application. You can release your maps with loads of custom content on GB if you'd like or not.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 14, 2012
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Finally a step in the right direction. I haven't released any maps since I realized you get flagged for custom content. :poop: Glad they allow it now. :thumbsup:
    • Apr 9, 2012
      If it wasn't bad enough for me I just realised GB doesn't accept custom content regardless of this idea. I wanted to contact Lougan on GB, the main guy from GB, but he seems to have no 'PM' button. I'm gonna try to contact someone else from the Head admins and ask them what this idea actually means.

In any case I'm done releasing maps on GB again.
    • May 15, 2011

I too would like some clarification on this, as I was lead to believe the new license agreements were due to this and the thread even states 'addressed' as in it was implemented in some fashion.
    • Apr 9, 2012

I see a bit of confusion in your post here as you seem to get the idea of copyright the wrong way.
      First, I'm sorry for your map: it was looking good and it took a lot of time and effort from your side, but it had lots (and lots) of ported content; you practically ported the whole game of SSBR (textures, models, skins, sounds) and this could technically put GB in a tight spot if Nintendo decides to take legal action.
      If you had ported maybe 2-3 textures (and I'm not saying you should), it might have passed under the radar unnoticed and no one would have made a big deal about it, but in your case, you ported the full game :smile:
      If you read the legal terms on Nintendo's website, they are clearly against anyone using their copyrighted materials (game content, names, logos) in any derivative work, commercial or not. That's why GB does not want to take risks of legal action against the website for hosting ported content.
      Now as for the confusion in the idea you posted in, please note that this idea was implemented to have a GB license to protect your OWN work, not to allow you to port other games content.
      As an example, this idea/license works best for your map in the winter contest: you spent time/effort to create your own textures/models and the last thing you want is some random guy on GB taking these assets that you created and using them in his map without your permission.
      That's why you add your license/terms to your submission to protect your own assets from being stolen/ported. In case someone does this (even after agreeing to your license), then you can easily report him to me (or an admin) and we will gladly remove his map (and punish him if necessary) for infringing your copyright.
      Please do not feel discouraged by this issue since it is purely legal and has nothing to do with you personally. Keep posting your maps on GB (you don't want to disappoint your fan base :wink:, but just make sure that you do not include massive ported content form games/companies that do not explicitly allow for such action.
      Feel free to rework this map with content of your creation and repost it on GB anytime.
      I hope this issue is clear now and good luck for your maps/projects

Will2k

Maps Moderator
      Post Merged, Jan 31, 2013
      To be honest, what concerns me the most is indeed the fact that Nintendo could basically take legal action against me for simply this map...
    • Mar 20, 2012
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007
        FPSB changed this in like '08 and practically removed all content at the time (skins). It's certainly not something new unfortunately. I think the best thing was they didn't even host content at the time.
      • Mar 16, 2008

It looks like a few people are getting confused here, so I will try and lay it out simply.

Regarding custom content & porting.

GameBanana does allow people to post maps with custom content (textures, props, sounds, etc..) - That's what we are all about!

HOWEVER if you choose to submit something that you did not make (or contains content which you did not make), you must have permission to do so from whoever made it.

A few years back EA threatened us with legal action and we have since had numerous threats from other large companies. This forced us to take a zero tolerance stance towards porting (i.e directly taking content from one game and putting it in another). It's a bit of a shame, but its just a copyright issue. Some companies take it really seriously and don't want people using their work (even if its non-profit).

Note: There are a few companies who do allow you to freely use their work and these are listed on our porting white-list.

To put is briefly: If you didn't make it yourself, you must have permission to use it. Else we end up getting sued.... :frown:

Regarding licences.

When you submit work to GameBanana your work is automatically protected by a creative commons licence [Link].

This basically stops people from stealing your work and claiming it as their own and it also stops people from selling your work or using it commercially to make money.

If you don't like the terms of the creative commons licence, you can put your own licence in. This will overwrite the previous licence and allows you to set out your own rules on what people can and can't do with your map.

If you guys have any more questions or want me to clarify anything then just give me a shout.
        • Informative Informative x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          They could, but they wouldn't bother with one person (or even a small group) in this situation. It's a free map and it's not having negative impacts on Nintendo. My game design teacher that works at Lucas Arts stated that someone made a free Indy game featuring Han Solo without permission or something along those lines, it was pretty good and really.. are they gonna sue this person over it? It'd make them look bad in public view and they wouldn't gain anything really.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Feb 5, 2013
            They try to cover too many areas. Its a rubbish site and has been a mess for a very long time. The only benefit of uploading there is because of its popularity. It should have so much more stuff for mappers in terms of ways to get feedback/discuss mapping. Rating system is utter flawed and there forums are as crazy as Paranoid. Its about time a dedicated Source Mapping Community stepped up and took over on that front (step up plaguefest)
            • Good Idea Good Idea x 3
            • Nov 11, 2011
              I gave up posting on GB with their harsh rules. I get enough downloads from sharing my Mediafire links without the hassle. :struggle: :quiet:
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Puni has a great idea. Is there anything in the works in terms of a different, well-organized place to upload maps? If not, somebody could take a huge advantage of this.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Not that I'm aware of. We do have a shit load of great mappers who can easily get most major mappers organized here. @Brian Can you give us an idea if this is possible with our current xen system?
            • Mar 12, 2008
              I think the idea here is that you need permission to put other's content into your creations and host is on a site that allows it.

I.E. Pretend I made a map called Metal_Gear_Solid_pF_V126 and i port models of snake, metal gear, etc... And I do not email Konami for permission to use them for my non-profit CS:S map. That falls under intellectual property and since I don't own said permission, they have every right to have my content shut down and get the host in trouble (if they want to, i've never seen it happen nor do I care to). I would need their exclusive permission in order to keep those models I ported over, and I need to CC and show this proof to the site host so that they can safely put my content up on the site without the site-owner being liable for any damages that may occur (suing or other legal trouble). I think this is how it works, i've never submitted anything to GB so I don't know how they do things.

The idea is still the same, as what J-Higgs mentioned. You wouldn't want someone using your content without permission, even if it is non-profit.

Maps could still be sent via file sites like MediaFire and JumpShare to roots to test, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be hosted on GB to make it on our servers, it just has to be uploaded so someone can download it.
            • Nov 11, 2011
            • Apr 9, 2007
              If it's something like towers, I'd like it to be on GB and rated first :crying:
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Nov 11, 2011
              • Dec 6, 2011
                That's what I was afraid of, I just wasn't sure where the white line was in terms of copyright and it just being a map with a couple added models.