Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion Proposal to have requirements lowered to RTV.

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by FreshEggs, Jul 22, 2015

Should we implement something to lower the requirements necessary to RTV?

This poll will close on Jul 22, 2018 at 2:58 PM.
Yes 16 vote(s) 84.2%
No 3 vote(s) 15.8%
  1. Jul 7, 2014
    I feel we need to fix the problem regarding ability to RTV successfully. Currently, it is possible that are so many people in spectator mode that it doesn't allow the current number of people playing to initiate an RTV.

In this specific example shown below in 2 pictures, there are 22 people on the server playing actively and whatever controls the RTV requires 19 of them to type RTV to initiate a vote. This cant be right. Some of these people dont speak English, or are new and don't know how to rtv, or some other reason, afk... who knows.

I have felt this way for a long time, can we please consider doing something about it, like not counting spectator votes or lowering the % of people required to type RTV?

2015-07-21_00001 2015-07-21_00002
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Jun 4, 2006
      This has been a complaint for a while and has no shortage of threads: http://plaguefest.com/threads/spectators.12414/, http://plaguefest.com/threads/rock-the-vote.11517/, http://plaguefest.com/threads/kick-spec-people-when-the-server-is-low-for-rtv.19278/

If we're going to do anything about this, I still think we should go with the idea I came up with years ago (unless someone else has a better idea):
      via http://plaguefest.com/threads/spectators.12414/page-2#post-171099

Even if we settle on an idea, we still need a wizard to make it happen. I've said this before, but nothing came of it (not that it was expected, we're just throwing ideas on the wall here). There may be some very good reasons something like this hasn't happened yet; a limitation of some sort. Or, it could just be that no one has attempted the project.
      • Good Idea Good Idea x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 29, 2014
      • Feb 8, 2013
      • Jul 7, 2014
        From being an admin in the past on different servers, I have had the experience of seeing several good rtv'ing systems. Go to hoecommunity.com and find their minigames server. Join, and check out their map choosing and rtv'ing system.

First commenting on their map choosing system, they have this cool idea implemented (see below).

Instead of showing the vote map looking like this:

Please vote for the next map:
        1. "mapname"
        2. "mapname"
        3. "mapname"
        4. "mapname"
        5. "mapname"

it instead says

Please vote for the next map:
        Please do not spam 1
        Choose next map carefully

4. "mapname"
        5. "mapname"
        6. "mapname"
        7. "mapname"
        8. "mapname"

Finally, commenting on their rtv'ing system, HoE have their ratio set at 60%. If we just lower our ratio to roughly 50% of everybody in the server, then maybe that would eliminate the need for implementing a complex system to exclude spectators from rtv'ing and whatnot that somebody has to spend a whole lot of time on. (Im sure we would have to test the 50% rtv ratio, its nothing set in stone)

Comments? Can we turn this in to a reality?
      • Jun 29, 2014
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Apr 26, 2015

I believe GFL does something to this effect. Options for 1 and 2 are unselectable, and forces players to choose 3, 4, 5, 6. Which is actually beneficial since instead of players spamming 1, they actually look at what the options are.
        • Feb 27, 2012
          I just end up spamming 3 when on servers like that. or mash the shit out of my keyboard to just select something.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Jul 14, 2010
            Yeah, I don't think moving maps to option 3, 4 solves anything. People just mash the 3 or 4 key then... No cigar.

@Detonator , I know you are a busy potato, but he's probably the best bet of implementing Brian's suggestion.
          • Dec 17, 2007
            I doubt lowering the ratio will do anything, Brian's idea is probably the best.

Deto is too busy playing with his mash potatoes
            • Zing! Zing! x 1
            • Artistic Artistic x 1
            • Jun 29, 2014
              still better then 1 or 2, or change it to 5 6 7
            • Jul 14, 2010
              The point is, no matter what numbers you choose, people will always spam a random number because A) The new players don't know the maps, B) Some players are in action and just hit a number to focus on staying alive, and C) See Tony's post.
            • Jun 29, 2014
              depending on what there key settings are of course, if its the standard W A S D then they would have to somewhat reach for 6 7 8 9 ect, instead of it being 1 key away literally, i guess everyone is like Tony and "mashes" the keyboard which im sure is exaggerating
            • Jul 7, 2014
              You doubt it would do anything? What do you mean by that? If you look at my pictures above and apply it to that circumstance, 16/22 people would be required to rtv. That seems pretty reasonable, albeit still high.
            • Feb 25, 2014
              Problem isn't the RTV it is the people sitting in spec for hours doing nothing, a low RTV might result in constant map changing.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Apr 24, 2015
                If you really wish to know how to do all this I know of a guy who scripts. Hes made alot of scripts for different games. If you need something done he can do it. Oh wait That guy is me :smile:
                • Informative Informative x 1