Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Question about trolling ze surf

Discussion in Help Desk started by Wet towel, Jun 14, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 27, 2012
    In many instances the surfboard in ze surf has been used to make a "fake" bridge across a gap. I've seen it done many many times both by regulars, donators, and admins. However, today someone was punished for doing so. Is this Illegal to do?

One Amper has Connected (0:1:8232698) from Germany.
    (Admin) CคﻱŦleҳ: dont troll
    [SourceMod] Extreme the paperboy has nominated ze_minecraft_v1_nm_pf.
    [SourceMod] CคﻱŦleҳ: Slapped Tricky

(tricky ended up falling off and dieing)
  2. May 14, 2012
    i dont think anyone should be punished for doing that. ive seen alot of people do that before and have never seen anyone even warned for it
  3. Jul 20, 2010
    Hmm well if people are doing it to troll and telling people you can walk on it to get across a gap. Then I'd punish people for it under trolling since that's exactly what their doing. I haven't really seen this happen yet when I've been on.
  4. Oct 29, 2010
    (Gonna add more input when I come back from going out).

IMO, labeling it as "trolling" is taking it too far. It's EXTREMELY COMMON KNOWLEDGE that surfboards are non-solid objects, no?

EDIT 1: I've seen this done EVERY surf. Nobody EVER falls for it. I view it as a humorous trick, not malicious intent. Sometimes, I fall through the surfboard just for lulz and lighthearted humor.

EDIT 3: A
    • Funny Funny x 1
      meeko, Jun 14, 2012 Last edited by meeko, Jun 14, 2012
    • Feb 1, 2011
      I see this done almost every time the map is played and have never said a word about it :O

edit: if the person who is doing it is specifically saying on the mic or in chat that it's solid ground to get people killed then I guess its trolling. just standing / crouching there is fine though IMO
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
        dillinger, Jun 14, 2012 Last edited by dillinger, Jun 14, 2012
      • Jun 3, 2012
        Unless you have never played on that map before it shouldn't be a problem and frankly I almost never see anyone fall for it
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Apr 12, 2012
          I only support this because it was Tricky (known troll on many maps).
        • Jul 28, 2011
        • Apr 1, 2012
          common sense isn't so common anymore *sigh*
        • Nov 6, 2011
        • Sep 7, 2010
          fuck it... Let the idiots get tricked. I see no reason for admin to follow behind some players with a tissue to wipe up their drool and tears in the first place. #1 way to learn is trial and error anyways.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Well, this IS considered trolling, and we ARE supposed to punish people who purposely grief their team. That's our job on the servers, whether we like it or not.
          • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
          • Sep 7, 2010
            We constantly complain about the declining average iq of zm/ze players, and yet it is our job to coddle them? Give me a break.
          • Dec 6, 2011
            That's not the point of it. A lot of new people join our servers all of the time, so I wouldn't doubt for a newcomer to fall for this. All there doing is trying to trick somebody into thinking it's the bridge, there's no question about it.
          • Apr 12, 2012
            Speaking from the point of view of a player who played a half life mod (DoD) 6-8 years ago and watched the already small community become 'elite' and then quickly die off... your attitude is what is KILLING ze...

Want ZE to last? Attract and keep new players. How to attract and keep new players? Punish trolls/griefers. Simple. Don't make ZE something that is elitist or exclusionary or pointless (pointless from a new player's perspective when he sees a troll/griefer ruin round after round). Yes, the surfboard is a small example, but it adds up. Think a player playing ZE for the first time on mines of moria is going to come back and try ZE again after 5 fail rounds of people griefing the door? Not likely.
            • Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jan 12, 2012
              I've played surf countless times and not once have i seen anyone fall for it at all it's plain knowledge as anyone they see before hand Jumps over it so it should be simple this is just a fact of what type of person you are it's not trolling in the slightest -edit trolling gets used to much imo
            • Dec 6, 2011
              I'd say the correct word would be griefing, but it doesn't matter in this case. Yes, I have seen a few people fall for this, and quickly get turned into zombies after.
            • Apr 12, 2012
              The point is this: if you were a first time ZE player, would that make you mad/annoy you to fall for the trick?

If yes, then why the fuck do you justify it? To feel better about yourself? The satisfaction that you have knowledge that the noobs dont? To feel all leet?

Again, its a simple, small, barely significant example.. but the concept doesn't change when you talk about trolling say, the door on mines of moria, or gravity on mako.
            • Mar 19, 2011
              How could anyone fall for that because surely if you progressed that far in the map you are not your run of the mill noob. Noone with the IQ above 40 would fall for that...... and the ones who do don't even make it that far in the map. :thinking:
            • Jan 12, 2012
              Hmm what's the word Losely coined? hmm =] - And yeah In terms of the "few people" for a server with the Most traffic In css in most cases especially in zm terms I think that's good for plaguefest these days lol
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.