Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

[Question] Creating the Appearance of Height

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Virtual Vorcha, Jun 19, 2013

1. Jun 19, 2013
    I'm trying to build a map that takes place on top of buildings in a city. I want the buildings to extend extremely far down, to create a feeling of height. Should I extend the 2D skybox down, or use exclusively 3D skyboxes? Some of the buildings are seen from multiple angles, so I want them to be at least partially solid, and I'm not sure if I should combine solid objects and 3d skyboxes. That seems like a bad idea.
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    The best would be using 3D skyboxes to cut down heavily on VISLeafs, because if you will create spaces that big and open with all of the builings being inside of the playable world, not only will they strangely vanish, but they will also create tremendous visleafs that aren't even necessary. In other words, use 3D Skyboxes to create the biggest part of the buildings, and only use the top surface (and a little bit of the bottom to let players fall down a bit) as playable area. Much better, faster compiles and better results.

The thing is that due to the structure of the world, it might happen that certain tops of buildings will simply vanish out of the visible field due to VISleafs being unvisible as well, despite you being able to 'see' them. To understand what I'm sayign you must understand the basics of visibility, and I hope you do :smile:

Anyways, maybe analyze how ze_mirror's edge is built (I didn't do it yet) and see how it's done there. I'm not sure how it's built, but I believe that for the ridicilously low amount of brushes and faces Mirror's edge uses, it uses almost an entire box of playable area to make everything render, and have buildings decide what can be seen or not (though I'm not sure).

Good luck!

EDIT: Just checked myself and that is exactly the way it's built xD not the worst idea for a map of that structure, though most other maps wouldn't be able to do that at all. I suggest relying on the 3D Skybox
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    So if I'm reading what you're saying right, Mirror's Edge is an example of a not-very-well-optimized map?