Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Question for Brian!

Discussion in Help Desk started by AgoraphobicDream, Mar 23, 2013

1. Nov 19, 2010
    Nosebleed and I have opened up a regular MineCraft server & are wondering if we could display it in here for pF users.
    We will be keeping this one running for a good while..
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nov 19, 2010
      I think what he is saying is that Taters posted that so why would it be an issue.
    • Nov 19, 2010
      Because it isnt a plaguefest server and would be considered advertising.
      But i think pF could play in it too then there would be a pokemon server and regular server.
    • Jul 1, 2010
      Neither is the one Taters posted. It's not hosted on pF.
    • Nov 19, 2010
      I guess I just rather get permission then before I do so =/
    • Jul 1, 2010
      Fair enough, moved to help as this isn't a pF hosted server suggestion.
    • Apr 9, 2007

We don't really support this, but I'm not qualified to grant exemptions.
      • Artistic Artistic x 1
      • Mar 12, 2008
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Oct 20, 2012
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            I'm curious to know how much resource is occupied by an MC server in case it was officially hosted by pF?
            • Like Like x 1
            • Mar 12, 2008
              Nope. Only advertising if I'm spamming IP's in the server/site and have an intent to steal clients. Once my server opens it's for the public. Nobody from pF (except those that helped with various server issues and building of course) get an incentive.
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Feb 27, 2012
                Depending on the mods/plugins you have running, it can take anywhere from 512mb~2gb+. Java is a resource hog. I believe there is a plugin or external program you can run that clears memory every once in a while (whatever you schedule it for) If players are using speedhacks or are flying in creative mode and cover large areas of land, it will lag out the server, and other servers on the box. Loading each chunk takes a long time and a lot of power when you start to cover large areas of the world. Minecraft is better to have on it's own little box from what I've experienced, and on an SSD.
                • Informative Informative x 3
                • Jun 4, 2006
                  A lot of ram, not just for player slots but for the world(s) which we ran in ram and not off the HD or an SSD (which MC kills) for faster speed. World limits were in place to ensure it couldn't be generated to an insane size. When I was running the MC server it ended up being way too much work to config & run, ate far too many resources for the small amount of players that played, and never really got off the ground. Previous to my attempt Ryan was running it and that didn't lead to anything either. MC kept updating and worlds kept being re-gen'd for new shit and so forth.

Back on topic - You can post it in the MC section so long as you note it isn't associated with PF.
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 2
                  • Mar 12, 2008
                    Tell me about it. We've hit red-bar on ram already and we only have a few plugins beside the mod. It will need to be upgraded eventually but so far it seems good enough to work in before going up officially.
                  • Nov 19, 2010
                    We already have it up and running. I was just gonna open it to pF also.

Also is it okay if I post our forums page for the server in the post about the server that is open?
                    Ms Serendipity, Mar 24, 2013 Last edited by AgoraphobicDream, Mar 24, 2013
                  • Oct 20, 2012
                  • Mar 12, 2008

we can do that soon. It will double our ram available and bump us to 40 slots