Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Question for Mappers

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Harvey, Apr 17, 2012

1. Dec 7, 2010
    Why is it in most maps when players are riding in vehicles or a moving object, the figure is shown as running?

Out of personal curiosity I just wanted to know why most mappers do it that way? I noticed on other maps their legs only move when actually walking around inside the moving object.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Jul 4, 2011
      I think that's just the way source engine works when standing on a moving object.
    • Dec 7, 2010
      I disagree since there are maps out there that allows you to ride on moving platforms without the legs moving. Good example is the moving platform on zm_neko_athletic_park_v2. If you stand still on that platform your legs do not move, but if you move around on that platform your legs moves appropriately.
    • May 15, 2011
      Not something we can control. Unless it has something to do with the difference between a func_tanktrain and a func_tracktrain, it's just something the models do themselves and we have no way of controlling this aspect.

Edit: Just saw your post. So ya, most likely something to do with the two different trains. One is suppose to be used for certain types of moving objects whilst the other is for platforms that players can stand upon. Possibly the one for props is cheaper, causing the player model to move even when it shouldn't. I have no idea really, just my thoughts.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 28, 2011
        I agree with Tony, but I'm not completely sure. All I know is tracktrains (the entity used for vehicles) is garbage :razz:

My guess is it's either an engine issue or a lag issue (on the server's side)
      • Apr 9, 2007
        • Funny Funny x 3
        • Zing! Zing! x 1
        • Jan 12, 2012
          It's a common css bug It just varies good sir
        • Nov 2, 2011
          func_tracktrain is the most commonly used, so i think that is the one that makes people legs move.
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Static, non-moving prop= no moving model.

Dynamic prop (that floating noisy platform thing on neko)=Model movement.

I may be wrong, and this might not always be the case, but from what ive seen this is the issue.

Not a big deal IMO.
        • Apr 14, 2011
          What you need to do is have Game_UI be enabled when your in the car, truck, boat, jet W/E. It will make it so your legs dont move. Their are others ways but that is the easiest way.
        • Oct 17, 2011
          With game_ui players do not move while in a vehicle or other thing that a player activates. Func_tracktrain makes them move and is completely different. I wish you can Make a game_ui entity and a func_tracktrain together but that's impossible :razz:.
        • Jul 28, 2011

What I meant is that basically ANY server will have lag like that. The server has to calculate the position of the tracktrain, and then it also has to calculate the position of every person who comes in contact with the moving tracktrain. If this was done by the client, the physics could be different for everyone, but since it is done by the server, it is consistent. Basically, when there are a ton of fatties on a tracktrain, that results in a ton of constant calculations for the server, and therefore some lag. That's my understanding of it...

EDIT: I think an example of this might be the lagavator on predator. @Luffaren might know the cause of this and would know more about this than my guesstimates :razz:
          • Agree Agree x 1
            GRUDGE, Apr 17, 2012 Last edited by GRUDGE, Apr 17, 2012
          • Apr 9, 2007
            Whoa Whoa there! We're talking about clients walking and server lag! Not why it lags!
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Feb 24, 2011
              As far as i know it's just a completely normal thing caused by the engine, it's all natural.
              It doesn't have to lag that much at all really, the lagevator on pred should be an example to be ignored, as i used a moving prop_dynamic and a huge prop_static with a large amount of collisions in it.
              A simple func_tracktrain / func_movelinear would work just fine as far as i know, while having a few simple brushes to its collision part.

To check if a part lags in a map you can type in "net_graph 1" or "net_graph 3" in console, then you can see the "IN" level.
              IN will be affected by every single thing that is happening, every movement, every bullet, every jump, every player standing on a certain entity and every map event/output etc.
              Although don't believe that CSS can't handle a couple of outputs while having the players running and shooting, but a mapper could mess it up by making some different things.
              These things would include:
              * having 7-10+ players standing on a prop with lots of collisons (this could also be applied to brush entities, but props affects it worse afaik)
              * using lots of game_ui's at the same time
              * having lots of physic objects being active at the same time
              * using a prop_dynamic with collisions enabled, while having it animated. Like character models with animations, each "bone" will require some IN of it's own (EASILY FIXED by removing the .phy file in the model directory)
              * etc etc etc, this list could go on. Just took the first things coming from my mind.

I hope i cleared up some questions on some part there. Also this is coming from my personal experiences / conversations with other mappers / searching the interwebz, feel free to hate if i'm completely wrong. Over and out.
              • Like Like x 2
              • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
              • Useful Useful x 1