Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Questions about douse plugin

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Andrew, May 7, 2012

1. Apr 12, 2012
    Recently, I've noticed that if a large number of zombies are set on fire by a grenade (or any other method) they are immediately doused. I was informed by an admin (can't remember who atm) that it was a new plugin designed to avoid the lag that comes with a large number of zombies simultaneously on fire. The admin thought this number was set to 20. I have two questions - what is this number actually set to? Would it be possible to increase it by 5 or 10? Several times in the last few days I've seen loses due to nading 20-25 zombies at a choke point (normal and hard on predator, right before the chopper). We had a great chance to win those rounds, but throwing a nade is useless when you get a lot of zombies. Any chance we can increase the limit?
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    If we could do some in-depth testing, perhaps? You've gotta keep in mind, 20 zombies is a lot, give or take 30% of the server, I can see your predicament, however and I'm wondering if we did/could test how many zombies could get naded before the server goes all funky on us. Stability is our main goal, gameplay is secondary,
  3. Feb 14, 2012
    I don't think it's the number of them as much as it's the concentration of fire that causes the server to take a shit. If the zombies are spread out it isn't a problem it's when the BBQ gets stacked into a corner that there is problem.
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Apr 12, 2012

Clam - I agree, and I'm not proposing a change that would ignore server issues - its important to minimize lag and have the server run as smoothly as possible. I just think the balance should be pushed as far as possible to have the douse plugin only activate in situations when the round is failed and someone throws a panic nade (preventing lag due to panic nades is what I imagine is the plugin's primary use).
    • Feb 9, 2012
      What he means is that we whined when there was lag nades, so he created a douse plugin to fix this, and now we're going back to whining about how we don't like it or wanna change it. (This happens a lot for kyle so he's probably sick of it)

Anyways adding 5 or more may or may not make too much of a difference at all really.. it's not the lag of 25 zombies on fire that's causing lag..it's that they are right by each other so the slow/damage tick is affecting each zombie that it touches. If 2 zombies are on fire and they're with 18 other zombies right by them (or in one spot) it'll pretty much cause a pretty big lag but nothing too powerful. If there was 2 zombies on fire and around 38 zombies are in one spot, it WILL lag a lot. also how would the plugin detect a situation when the round is failed? that's a little tough because if humans are still alive, the ''Terrorist wins'' screen isn't gonna appear. Also this happens with or without a fail as well. maps with teleport spots (like voodoo, parking, mako, biohazard, etc) will have these issues.
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Haha yeah that's what I thought. I didn't create this thread to whine or bitch, and I hope it doesn't sound that way (sorry if it does). In the short time I've played here and read the forums I've seen what you're talking about.

I agree that the point where a round is lost is hard to determine because that is a subjective judgement. But I am somewhat under impression that one of the main purposes (or the only purpose?) of the plugin was to stop server issues from happening when people panic nade when the round has been lost. If this is incorrect and it is targeted at situations other than panic nades, then my argument doesn't really matter, and I won't care nearly as much about pushing the number of zombies on fire to the highest possible number.
    • Jan 2, 2012
      For a while I thought this was just for certain occasions :razz:
      The lag seems to kick in if your especially on something like a elevator, regardless of how many zombies there are/on fire, especially when on pred, because of the lag problem on the elevator by itself.
      To be honest, I'd rather have the douse plugin than major lag, that way we can keep playing and avoid actual server crash.
    • Feb 12, 2012
      Well, if you want to slow down alot of zombies by nade, try to ignite first 10-15 zombies. They'll still burn and slow down all others zombies trying to pass through them.
    • Jan 28, 2012
      When I suggested the plugin it was originally meant for dousing on zombie teleports. Which still hasn't been done yet. 20-30 zombies on fire in an open area doesn't cause much lag at all. Its when they're stacked or in a cage that it creates lag. The douse plugin at the moment doesn't make a lot of sense because it's never helped avoid panic nades, the main cause of the lag spikes in the first place. It screws people over more often than avoiding lag spikes.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Still creates quite a bit of lagg when they stack up, but I think you're point is good, we should only have it on zombie teleports, or 30+zombies on fire. Maybe some testing should take place to find the sweet spot?
    • Jan 2, 2012
      Well, its just more than that, it depends on the map itself, how the server is doing, etc but yeah ultimately that does cause quite a bit of lag.
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Yeah it probably isnt going to be a set number like 32 or 35, because each map is different. I would just love to see it > 20. Subdelt@ - that's what I've been doing L) its just there are some situations where its unavoidable because sometimes you cant see how many youre going to get (throwing a nade down the stairs behind you, stuff like that)
    • Mar 19, 2012
      Douse plugin seems like a temporary fix to a major issue. With that said It is really the best option without majorly reworking the mod. I would much rather lose 1 round because of the douse plugin than crash completely.
    • Feb 9, 2012
      actually these lag nades do not crash the server. i have never seen it crash because of this. The most it does is just stall the server and even get it stuck on ''connection timing out'' and resets back to 25 seconds constantly.

majority of times the lag isn't just because of the elevator itself, it's just the fact that the lag adds on to the lag...then it gets amplified because the large elevator prop (on predator, isla nublar) is also MOVING.
    • Aug 18, 2006
      Indeed, can't really have it both ways... Although I do have an alternate idea which would prove to be a nice middle-ground, I'd have to modify the ZR plugin directly. Made a post about it in the past... If I could just find it...
    • Apr 9, 2007
      It's the RadiusDamage/IgniteRadius (or whatever the latter func was) call(s). We can write our own, but it would be a hassle.
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Kyle - what language do you use? I would not mind taking a crack at this plugin/function. I'd love to contribute something to the server.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      SourcePawn for scripts. C++ for the rest.
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Hmm, bit of a bummer; my C++ is rusty and I've never used Pawn/SourcePawn. Was hoping you'd say python or java, or even .Net haha.

I looked up a quick tutorial on SourcePawn and it seems pretty simple. I wouldn't have a problem writing stand-alone functions with it, although it seems like it would take some time to learn all the relevant sourcemod functions. How long would you estimate it would take me to get up to speed on SourcePawn and sourcemod API? I'm an above average programmer (know the basics of a bunch of scripting/shell/query languages, and am proficient in several) but no expert.