Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

R.I.P. Mitch Lucker and inputs on life.

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Orange, Apr 16, 2013

1. Feb 8, 2013
    For all of you that are familiar with the band, Suicide Silence, just wanted to bring up a quote that was on a picture of Mitch Lucker. I don't know if it's his quote, but it kind of just popped into my mind just now after talking with some friends of mine about life. Then on top of everything, being one of the people living life and thinking about the bad things happening in this world, somewhat referring to recent notorious activities like the most recent: Bombing in Boston.

When Mitch died on Nov. 1st, it was something that hit me hard. Nothing like it, not even close relatives. I don't understand why it hit me, but it got me thinking about life and death.

You only live once - Mitch Lucker

Not much I'm asking for on this thread. I guess I just want an input on what you guys think of life.
  2. Jul 23, 2012
    Dude, I fucking loved Suicide Silence, it was a sad day in the music industry when Mitch passed away.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    It was a sad day indeed. I loved Suicide Silence.
  4. Feb 8, 2013
    I still love them. Mitch was a great person in the heart. I remember watching a video where he sold his shirt, the one he wore in "You only live once" video, and he got the money and just bought toys for kids that don't have presents for Christmas. It was like a donation to charity. It's hard to believe that he passed away so young in his life and left his daughter behind. He had a whole future ahead of him, but he made a poor choice to drink and drive. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!
  5. Mar 4, 2012
    If you're interested in life and death you should take some philosophy classes at university.

What is it that you want out of life? Pleasure? Happiness? Something more?

I think in the end everything we do is to make us happy and content with our lives in some way.

Why do we study for tests? To get a good grade in our class. Why do we want good grades? To get a good job after we finish school? Why do we want a good job? To be financially secure. Why do we want to be financially secure? To be content with our lives. Why do we want to be content? To be happy.

Every action we take just leads to another action that in the end will make us happy (or so we think).

The same train of thought can be used to explain why people procrastinate, drink heavily and use drugs. The key is to really find what will make us happy and what will not. Even the hedonistic philosophies are much less "go for anything and everything" that will bring immediate "happiness" but rather long term contentment and pleasure.
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    I'm not interested so much that I would actually take a course based on it. It just got me thinking about death and I'm wondering what you guys think about death. What are your fears about it? Do you fear it? Why or why not? Is there something you want to achieve in life? Is there things that makes you worry that maybe you won't be successful in the future?
  7. Mar 4, 2012
    I have no fear of death in and of itself.

To me it is just a release from all pain and pleasure. It's neither good nor bad depending on how you view your life. In the past couple of years I have definitely been on the receiving end of a lot more pain than pleasure and I honestly don't care if I die or not.

Not to say I want to off myself or anything. Things will get better eventually and even if I didn't expect them to we have a duty as humans to live our lives.

Something that I've carried with me is Kant's view of living one's life. If you love living life and are happy to be alive each day there is nothing morally right about continuing to live -- he's not saying you should kill yourself or want to. His point is that the man that lives his life despite hating it is morally "right". He has a duty to himself and others to keep on going and live life despite the pain and hardship. Basically he's saying that you shouldn't view yourself as any better than anyone else just because you like living life (applies to other cases too, i.e. charity -- the man that gives because of duty to the community but wouldn't otherwise is more morally correct than someone that gives just because it makes them feel good or looks good with the community).
    Benvolio, Apr 17, 2013 Last edited by Benvolio, Apr 17, 2013
  8. Oct 26, 2012
    They were great R.I.P. i love them favorite song by far is "you only live once" <3
  9. Feb 4, 2011
    R.I.P. Mitch Lucker and rage on bro YOLO

Philosophy lost its way a long fucking time ago. They treat 'being' like some trivial thing, instead of the most important fucking question of our time, the one that matters most of all. What does it mean to be? Plato ignored it and went about his merry fucking way, and now philosophy is useless. We don't even know what it takes for something to exist. What makes a thing a thing? What are the criteria for being? Of course, the only way to get to Being itself is through beings, things that are, which is inconvenient as shit but just the way it is. Fortunately, we are beings who can understand Being, the Dasein.

At this point, you're either a bit confused or you've begun diagramming the uses of the word 'Being'. Good call, but I hope you brought tons of colored pencils and a good sharpener, or you're fucked. The truth is, the single word 'being' just wasn't meant to bear as heavy a load as this project puts on it. So think of 'Being', the essential thing we're trying to get at, like a Party, and think of 'to be', the verb, as 'to rage'. Now, there are lots of people at this party - chairs, trees, pretty much everything that is. Where is this Party? In the world, which we'll call the 'house'. And who do we know who rages the hardest? That's right, fucking Bros, that's who. They're the Dasein at this party, the partiers who rage with awareness and understanding. Turns out, Dasein being is a lot like a Bro raging, and Dasein understanding Being is a lot like Bros understanding the Party. There, isn't that better?

When a Bro rages, he rages in a way that sets him apart form everyone else at the party - he rages with an immediacy such that he knows not only what is going on but also what could be going on. He must always plan one step ahead of himself so as to rage in the best possible way, to make the most of the Party. Sometimes that worries a Bro - even Bros get anxiety from time to time, though we don't like to admit it - and that angst might cause the Bro to slow down. "Woah," he might think, "this Party could end. I see the potential, and that worries me a little - can I truly execute?" When a Bro slows down like that, he hides his Broness, and slows down the party - when the Dasein lets his anxiety take over, he hides his Being. Eventually, the Bro must overcome his anxiety and rage in a truly authentic way that embraces the possibilities inherent to the Party - this shows the fullness of the Party. When a Bro realizes that the Party demands something, he must step up and do the fucking keg stand that no one else can do, because they're not Bros and they don't know what raging truly takes. A Bro who steps up his game, pours the shots and takes control of the music in an authentically Bro way fucking makes the Party. We've all been places where there are drinks and snacks but everyone is standing around doing nothing - that's not a fucking party. That's a potential party being wasted by all who are there; in the same way, if the Dasein is not authentic, he is wasting his Being.

Understanding the Party requires the Bro to interpret the signs of raging that he sees around him; raging isn't as simple as being in the house standing around; if only. The Bro's immediacy and awareness demand of him attention and interpretation - therefore how the Bro thinks and responds to events in the course of raging is actually an essential element of the Party - the Dasein's mind is an essential part of Being. The Bro finds himself at the Party, thrown into it - no one asked him if he wanted to rage (though he obviously would have said "Fuck yeah, bitches" had they asked him). Still, here he is, so fucking buckle up.

This is the relationship of the Party to time - the Bro rages at a particular point in time. Again, he must think one step ahead of himself, and he must know what has already happened at the Party to know what he must do to maintain the Party; a Bro, then, to truly Party, must be aware of time - the past, present, and future are all essential elements of raging properly and authentically. That awareness goes so far even into the awareness that eventually the Party will end for the Bro - when he sees another Bro passed out on the couch all Sharpie'd up, or leaving the party sick, he becomes aware of an inevitable end. That's fucking shocking to the Bro, because he wants to rage non-stop. He has, until now, believed the Party never ends, and this awareness is a new source of anxiety for him. He must embrace this, too - eventually, the awareness that the Party ends no matter what he does will drive him to rage all the more authentically, to bring out the Party as best as he possibly fucking can. Time, then, enables the Bro to rage as well as possible, and gives meaning and sense to the Party

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2qnikHYo1o&list=PL40099A4C4C3312CE&feature=player_detailpage
    Post Merged, May 3, 2013

Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus": A Summary

Look, so, nothing matters, right? Shit's fucking weird. We all want to know how the universe ultimately works or who's running the show or whatever, and it turns out - TRICK. FUCKING. QUESTION. No one's running the show, and the world is unreasonable. Ever had some shit happen to you that made you go, "Why the fuck did that happen? There's no reason for that." Turns out, you were right. So our attempts to impose reason on the world will fail. Death and taxes, my friend. Death and motherfucking taxes.
    So what do we do? What's the point? Should we just end it if nothing matters? No, says Camus, thats the pussy way out. Instead, we should embrace the fact that nothing makes sense. Don Juan, the fuckaholic that started it all, he embraced the absurd. Life has no meaning, so he. fucked. everything. He didn't try to impose meaning or find meaning or make his own meaning - that shit is useless, and Camus says there's no hope for that, so cut it the fuck out.

Sisyphus, same thing. Sisyphus was punished because he chained death up so humans could live forever, he didn't give a fuck about what the gods said about fate. He was like, "fuck that, I do what I want." When that didn't work, the gods told him he had to roll a boulder up a hill again and again, forever. Sounds like it sucks, right? So why is Sisyphus so goddamned pleased with himself? Because all any of us is doing is rolling boulders up hills, and every time the boulder rolls back down, we're all like "Dude, what the fuck?! I spent all goddamn day rolling that boulder. Fuck." But Sisyphus knows it doesn't matter. He sees it coming. The gods already told him, "What you're doing is meaningless." Once he knew that, he could let go and just be content. Because there's never anything to do except roll boulders. Your options are get pissed when they roll back down, or chill out and not let it bother you. Be content. If you have to do something, you might as well accept it and do it as well as you can. Being pissy just makes you more miserable.
    So, to embrace the absurd, you have to acknowledge that life is absurd and live it anyway. Not because you hope you're wrong, but because you know you're right, but living is more fun than not.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
      epi1to10000, May 3, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, May 5, 2013
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Let me take a look!
    • Feb 27, 2012
    • Apr 12, 2012
      Not to get all religious on you guys, but (supposing you believe in God/higher power/etc) how do you think God would fit in this view? Do you not see a place for him/her, or can you see a way he fits in?

Personally, I believe in God, and I also believe he can fit with Camus' view. Instead of "we should embrace the fact that nothing makes sense," I look at it as "we should embrace the fact that we as humans with our limited minds cannot make sense of existence/being, but that it does make sense to the Creator of existence/being."

A rat in a maze cannot see the entire path to the end, he can only see a few corners and hallways at a time. The maze's designers can see the whole thing and understand it.
    • Feb 11, 2012
      November 1st is my birthday :frown:
    • Mar 4, 2012
      I think if you look at it philosophically you have to acknowledge there is some sort of higher Creator.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feb 27, 2012
        I personally don't believe in a god, karma, or any form of higher power, but I can see what you're saying. If that's what makes you look at everything the same way as we do with the difference of having god play a role instead, then I think everyone here did their job.

Off topic, i don't believe in any form of religion because i don't think such a thing would exist, it seems unreal. I also don't like the kinds of people that try and make me change myself and try and make me go to church or something. I will respect everyone's beliefs even if i don't agree with them and i will logically think with what they are saying. How i look at it is if it gives you the power to go on every day and see value in life, and makes you make the right decisions, then believe in it and follow it.
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I would respond about beliefs and God but it would turn into a circle jerk. Something along the lines of:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Feb 4, 2011
          How so? Like
          -Plantingan "Warranted Belief"
          -Falsifiable Imperiasism..... wink wink
          -As part of a "Primitive" that ceates a scrutable world. PQTI + G
          -analytic a priori

Can we derive from our known unknowns a coherent belief in the divine?
          If not what do we consider the knowns?
          Whats ostension and emergence got to do with it? {word games}

Im assuming Cartesian Dualism = 0. Some one else can argue for that.

Kierkegaard and/or Laplace? Spinoza?

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYOC6RQ_LY

Venn Diagram of Spinoza's God
          epi1to10000, May 5, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, May 5, 2013
        • Nov 11, 2011
          As an engineer, that is all I got from your post. :ROFL:

My understanding of philosophy is mediocre at best, but anything that can give you a moral and ethical sense of right and wrong can do no harm. Whether you believe to worship Jesus or Allah or Yahweh or whoever else, as long as you treat your brethren the same as you would treat yourself, then more power to you. Can't go around saying I'm right and you're wrong, but it doesn't hurt to look at other schools of thought before coming to a conclusion. Keep your mind open to other ideas and not be arrogant towards your existing ones.
        • Feb 4, 2011
          epi1to10000, May 5, 2013 Last edited by epi1to10000, May 5, 2013
        • Nov 29, 2012
          Late to this,but yeah. RIP Mitch Lucker, I cried when he died. :frown: Such a tragic way to die, and I feel bad for his daughter. Hope she grows up well, and it would be cool if she took her father's place in the music industry and create good songs like he did. :smile:
          • Like Like x 1