Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Racist too question another players name?

Discussion in Help Desk started by DevaFroG, Feb 3, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 6, 2012
    I was banned earlier today for questioning Los.negrosvr6's name, just wanna know if this is a valid reason for ban?
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    It matters if you were purposely doing it, knowing that you'd be crossing a line and playing dumb.
    Post Merged, Feb 3, 2013
    To me it seems that you're pushing it, since you DO know exactly where this type of behavior will land you. Although I was not there, so I cannot conclude this. Who else was present besides @Luffaren ?

Capture
  3. Jul 6, 2012
    Don't remember any other admins there, think jeezery left earlier. also, could you clear up "you're pushing it"? thanks
  4. May 31, 2012
    It depends on how you were asking the question or the context. Negro means the colour black in Spanish. I have seen conversations where players cut it too close or "taunt" Admins asking if "Negro" is okay to use (because they want to find loopholes in the racism rule or play around). If the person is legitimately using the word black or speaks Spanish and uses it in the correct context, I am perfectly fine with the word. If the player is not using it in correct context or is trying to taunt or play with the admin with the word because of the English way of using it, I will escalate. I am not fluent in Spanish but I understand it very well - also travel to different areas of Mexico and Spain so I am familiar with the different contexts and accents (although this wont matter because English only on PlagueFest mic otherwise you will get in trouble for mic spam).

Also depends what was happening. I am certain the admin asked you stop before banning you; certainly if an admin is asking you to please stop you should know where you are headed?
  5. Oct 29, 2010
    There was a thread (admin-abuse thread) about los.negros' name a few months earlier. Somebody bring i t up, I'm at work atm. . .

Also, Devafrog is not one who would intentionally push boundaries at all, I'm sure he might not have understood the extremely taboo nature of saying the n word.
  6. Feb 21, 2007
    I joined right as you got banned, and did not see any of the conversation.

However, the name of the player in question is NOT racist, or a racial slur in the context of his name. It is not against the rules, and IS allowed in that manner.

http://plaguefest.com/threads/unban-request-los-negrosvr6.12487/#post-172394
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Jul 6, 2012
      I thought this was an English speaking server in this case we all know what ne---- means you all know what. this is what i thought was racist(seems los.negrosv--- was approved as a player name and this i didn't know about and/or luffaren did not tell me anything about this before banning me. and i was not using any mic spam

Admin did not ask me too stop before banning me.

Still just asking.
      Post Merged, Feb 3, 2013
      I am so slow at posting this layout confuses me.
    • May 31, 2012
      Refer to my comment you may understand why Admins feel it is pushing it: In short, if an admin is asking to please stop and player carries on asking about the name using a word they believe to be racism, it will look like they are taunting the admin and not really asking questions about it.

I can't say what I would or would not do because I was not there and cannot make a fair decision solely on what you typed, I wouldn't to interfere with anything I do not have all the facts/details for; according to the SourceBan the admins said they gave you warnings and you chose to carry on -- it says they even kicked you (that is a pretty big warning in my opinion).

You are allowed to have foreign names or type in the chat in a foreign language. I referred to mic spam in the case someone chose to speak or use a foreign language over the mic (showing that it would not be a problem). AND again, it depends on the CONTEXT.

CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT!
    • May 15, 2011
      Just because we are english speaking only does not mean you can't use words from other languages. In fact, the English language uses a lot of other languages words as their own, so saying something is 'English' is a bit silly. I disagree with your ban and believe you should be unbanned, but don't get snobby, or try making excuses. My advice it to sit tight, and wait for Luffy to post so we can get his side of the story.
    • May 31, 2012
      This is in Help Desk so he might not even get an answer from Luffy; but I and several admins have already answered his question. The name is not racist, it depends on context, you can have names from another language or type in another language (IT ALL DEPENDS ON CONTEXT).

Can you ask about another players name? Certainly! But if you are pushing on the racism part and using it out of context, and an admins asks you to stop and even kicks you (a pretty loud and clear warning), don't come back asking about it again.... lol... he knew where this was headed.
    • Jul 1, 2010
      The fact that he was warned and kicked for the name, and then came back and said something twice that he believes is a racial term (Negro, which is normally NOT unless in context), kind of leads me to believe that the context of the name was intentional.

There was a ban protest done by the player which was handled by an LSA (not me).
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Nov 29, 2010
        Please don't play yourself off like the victim buddy...
        • Winner Winner x 2
        • Feb 11, 2012
          I believe i joined in the middle of you questioning los.negros name (without knowing it was about him whatsoever at first), so at the time being i warned about racism/racial slurs not being allowed in the server, and banned you as you kept saying "negro".

View attachment 4362

T_T mentioned that he kicked Devafrog a shorter while before the ban aswell, for having the Swedish N word as his name. So i got a strong impression that you tried to push it further than you should, trying to tweak/avoid the no-racism rule, hence the permaban.

I'm not really sure what to think now when it's been more clearly explained. I'm sorry if i've misjudged the situation when not knowing everything about the context, i just acted upon the word "negro" being repeated.
          I didn't warn you about mic-spamming either, it was another guy who spammed on the mic at the same time.

What do you mean by me being the victim here? *Aargh i be misunderstanding things!
        • Nov 29, 2010
        • Jul 6, 2012
          Someone teach me how to link to someones post :grin:
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Okay, since this is a Help Desk question and not an abuse report..

Questioning or pointing out a name isn't against the rules, neither is the word negro. If the name is blatantly a racial term, chances are the admins will see it although there is the possibility that it will be missed. I would advise against doing something such as "LOL, hey look admin that guys name is n****r." as it probably will not be well received.

Now, before this degenerates, :handcuffs:
        Thread Status:
        Not open for further replies.