Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Radeon 6950's (2g) and 6970 are the same?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Clam Chowder, Jul 30, 2011

1. Nov 29, 2010
    Alright, went to NCIX the other day and was hardware shopping, wanting a new card to replace my 470 because it's starting to become dated. I was eyeing some Radeon 69xx series and was talking to the clerk, he said that the 6950's are basically the 6970 hardware wise, they just stuck a limiter to it, and you can get around it by unlocking shaders, and you'd get the same performance out of it as you would the higher end card.

Really? pay $50-100 extra to have a card with no limiter?

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that make things expensive shipping the same hardware but slapping a limiter on it and giving it a lower number?
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    Not really, they're making bank already. Plus they are shipping the 6970 for more. Plus I think it's just software based.

It's like workstation cards, they are the same architecture as a normal desktop model, they just have drivers which change the cost of the card from $300 to $1,500

I've been thinking about getting one of those also.
  3. Mar 20, 2011

Clam they are the same, I have two 6950's and flashed them to the 6970's firmware. The 6950's start out as 6970's but if they don't pass all QC marks or benchmarks they become 6950's. They also don't have a nine pin power connector either, just the six pin. I have been using mine for months in crossfire with no problems at all. I am using the XFX. You may want to google and see if you can still flash the bios on them, I think AMD locked that option out on some of the cards now. The cards also have dual bios so you don't need to worry about fucking them up. I have the flash program and a batch file so if you want it let me know.