Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

RAID and Laptops?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by zenzr, Jun 14, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So I just found out after actually looking I have space for a second hard drive in my laptop. My boss suggested that since I have a 2TB external that I look into RAID and 2 SSD's. Does anyone have any experience on if this would be a good idea or not? I would also be looking into getting more/faster ram should my model allow it.

@Brett (maybe) @anyoneelse
    Zenzr, Jun 14, 2013 Last edited by zenzr, Jun 14, 2013
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    Makes sense if your storage is external to your system. I store all of my media off of my main drives on a throw away set of drives run on a beater motherboard. I wouldn't trust the external for storing any data, but if your data is external at work... you might as well capitalize on it. I mean its free, right? You only gain redundancy.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    This would be for my laptop set up at home. My apologizes for poor wording. My external right is set for back ups of stuff currently. I would still probably have most of my data on my laptop besides stuff I didn't really need (music, pictures, that kind of thing.) I have a 17 inch laptop that I basically built as a desktop replacement, so portability really isn't a concern of mine.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    My laptop has 3 slot for HDD and momentarily I did use RAID for a while between 2 1TB and a SSD for my OS but quickly find out that I didn't like it. However for my media server it's a wonderful thing to use. If I were you stick with OS on the SSD and some games you like to run fast and keep the other drives (bigger one) for the Data drive and just use custom install path for all application and steam games (new feature in steam)
  5. Jul 8, 2012
    That's what my other option was. Only thing is it'd make my hard drive in my laptop useless if I went with raid and 2 SSDs. Not sure what I want to do.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. Jun 11, 2012
    Pretty much. I went with the route of OS on SSD and Data drive and I love it and it's convenient. I can wipe the OS and be back in 15min and still keep most of my install and steam games and other installed games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012
      True. I'm just trying to explore options. Only issue with my laptop is I'm kind of bottlenecked with my graphics card. So I'm trying to fix that elsewhere. I'm thinking faster ram or more I'd possible. I definitely want at least 1 SSD if not two. I don't think I'd mind having limited info on my laptop though and have my external be mainly where everything is at idk. I appreciate yours and Kyles input though.

• Mar 20, 2011
      I am with Bender 100%, also with raid0 SSD's I seriously doubt you could tell the difference. If you where running a heavy database on it and hitting it with tons of query's you would see an improvement, other wise go with a fatty SSD for OS, and large secondary for apps, photos, music, pr0n, etc...

Oh and faster ram is not going to help you either, FYI
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Churma, Jun 14, 2013 Last edited by Churma, Jun 14, 2013
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Even for just for a general system upgrade?

• Mar 20, 2011
        It is always good to have enough ram, I personally would never go with anything less than 8GB, but if all you use your computer for is surfing the internet and checking email, 4GB is enough.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I'm sitting at 6 right now. My laptop is well years old though. So I'm looking for more.

• Mar 20, 2011
        You better check to see if your laptop can support more than 6GB, if it's that old, your better off buying something new and not invest any money in to it.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        2 years * fail. Yeah I'm debating tower or this.

• Jul 8, 2012
        So I know people think there's no such thing as a gaming laptop, but I have been out of the market for a while. Can I get some suggestions of high powered laptops (desktop replacement). I am currently in between either upgrading my current one, or getting a tower. I want to compare all my options before I decide.

Also another question, how long do people usually suggest before a laptop is "old"? is two years too long to still invest money into a ssd and more ram? I looked today and I have a 1x4 and 1x2 stick of ram so I think I have room to upgrade.

Thanks guys/gals.
      • Mar 20, 2011
        Two years is not that bad, I was concerned when you said "years old" Just make sure to check what the max memory and speed version your laptop has. I would press on and get a SSD and large format 7200 RPM HDD and call it a day. However, if you are running into frame rate issues and other GPU issues it is pointless to upgrade those items as you will not see any improvement. You would be better on focusing on a new notebook with a better GPU.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Right now I'm running an AMD Radeon 5650 Mobility GPU I believe. It's not cutting edge, but it runs league and most games on almost max settings minus shadows.