Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

RAM Restricted

Discussion in Technical Support started by iProbie, Aug 12, 2013

1. Apr 1, 2012
    I have a single 4 GB RAM stick installed in my potato
    but apparently now only 2.87 GB RAM is available. Can't seem to remember how is it back then or never noticed this until now.
    There are 2 memory slots available in the potato.

any ideas why? and how to solve it?

go go pF tech support!
  2. Dec 30, 2006
    1. No idea why you're using a potato. Get a computer.
    2. Do you have another stick of ram? If so take yours out and insert that. Notice the capacity of the Ram and check it in windows. If that shows up correctly, then your old ram is defective. If you don't have another ram, borrow it from someone but make sure its the same speed specs. DDR1/DDR2/DDR3. Etcetcetc.
    3. My tech support stops here. I refuse to help anymore as you never respond to me anymore.

Oh EDit: You said you have two slots but only one stick of ram. You can try swapping it to the other slot and see if it fixes things. If it does you either have a messed up ram slot, or it wasnt seated correctly. To rule this out, replace the ram back to the original slot and see if it fixes it. If it does then its just a reseat problem.

And after reading the later posts, please make sure you're on 64bit windows and not 32bit (x86).
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
      Secprotocol, Aug 12, 2013 Last edited by Secprotocol, Aug 12, 2013
    • Nov 17, 2012
      Running 64-bit windows? If not then there is only 3.25gb available. Then the OS is probably taking up the other 300mb or so RAM or any other open applications.
    • Oct 13, 2011
      What is your operating system ? 32 bit or 64 ? And you should know due to pc architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage. Ex: Graphics card.
    • Jul 23, 2012

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Apr 1, 2012
      • Jun 11, 2012

OS shows 4.00GB Installed with 2.87 usable.

Either something derped or on 32-Bit it might reserve something for something.
      • Jul 23, 2012
        you go to uni right? Check to see if your uni sells Windows 8 at a discount. Sometimes in certain places they'll even give you windows 8 for free if you're a student.
      • Oct 13, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 8
        • Apr 1, 2012
        • Nov 29, 2010

32 restricts your available ram.
        • Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-R970U using Tapatalk 4