Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

"Random Starting Zombies"

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Air_Force, Jun 8, 2011

1. Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not sure of the mechanics behind this, nor if it is at all possible. However, we all have times where on a certain map we randomly start off as the zombie 5-6 times in a row? Never giving us a chance to shine defensively, however we also have the times where we never become a zombie to start off with.

Is it possible to "reward" those who have better ratios by negating chances to start off as a zombie? Better tactics (and of course a little luck with that final shot), not to mention being better as a zombie by actually searching people out and not afk'ing when you become a zombie might push everyone for that score instead of hiding and playing it safe all the time.

Just a thought i've had for some time.
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    You want to make the better players start off as humans more so they can easily kill the noob zombies and probably end up making them leave? I can't see what the point of this is other than making the top players easily win everytime. The current system of random chance is fine. If someone hates being a zombie well too bad this is called zombiemod for a reason and they can't always be a human. I don't see how this would better anything.
  3. Jul 20, 2010
    The way its setup is fine imo. It takes a % of the total players and randomly picks some to be zombies. If we based it on score then you would have the whole server try to bunch into the few areas where you can farm kills. The way it is, keeps it different and new. Some people suck at being a human and some suck as a zombie. The way it is ensures that you have a mix of different people being zombies.
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    I think that would take a drastic change in the algorithm used to obtain the random zombie. Taking in multiple factors such as ratio would require stats tracking and a DB of some kind. Maybe there is a more logical way to achieve this?

Personally, I really enjoy being a zombie and owning all the HUmans. lol
  5. Apr 13, 2011
    I'm fairly sure the random zombie algorithm has something to do with distance from spawn (on ZE servers at least)

I've noticed many times that if I take a long time getting out of spawn and am last in line, I have a higher chance of becoming a zombie.
    I've also noticed that being very far ahead also increases your chance of becoming a zombie.

I don't think we should reward people with high KDR's by giving them a lower chance to spawn Z. The distance algorithm we have now is pretty good.
  6. Oct 27, 2010
    I have no desire to be a zombie every round :razz:
  7. Feb 21, 2007
    The server randomly selects a player (or several) every round. There is also a limit (or supposed to be) on how many times u can pick u in a row.

I dont see a need to selectively pick zombies. I understand your reasoning, but I think this would end up being worse rather than better
  8. Jun 7, 2011
    Fair nuff, what about no longer starting as a zombie if you hit X number (20 per say?) Only a few per map end up hitting that anyhoo. Just tossing out an idea :smile:
  9. Apr 13, 2011

10. Feb 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the limiter is broken and has been for a while. Many players complain of being a zombie 5+ times in a row, and I've seen it happen myself on many occasions.
  11. Apr 9, 2007
    Welp. Wait for the 2012 rewrite.

I offered to help but was basically shown the door in terms of core writing.
  12. Feb 1, 2011
    Sucks for them! More Kyle for us :3
  13. Jun 4, 2006
    Yeah that's too bad though. Could have been a simple thing like being a zombie max 3 rounds in a row with the random selection or some shit. Then it resets after the round you weren't a zombie... by no means an advanced algorithm but uh... eh
  14. Feb 1, 2010
    It would be better if admins and donators never spawned as zombie just regular players :grin:
  15. Feb 12, 2011
  16. May 28, 2011
    I believe it is fine the way it is. But I have noticed some people getting randomly picked several times in a row. Myth for example.
  17. Jul 14, 2008
    If you are reffering to the number of kills per map then the problem with this idea is that people still like to play as a zombie. If a player is able to kill that many zombies we can assume they are a regular and pretty much familiar with being a zombie and probably also enjoy playing as one. I'm not saying all the regulars or good players do enjoy playing as a zombie however it would prevent people from gettin kills. They might not want to spend the rest of the map as humans as they might want to have a chance of being a zombie. Don't you love the uncertainty of thinking you will be the zombie and stab everyone around you? :wink:
  18. Jul 13, 2011
    yeah but alot of the time they just ztele out
  19. Oct 29, 2010
    Noob tallahassee necro!
  20. Feb 19, 2011
    I'd much rather be a zombie than a human. give me the power to be one every round!! I'm just kidding, you should keep it random. although you could adjust the number of zombies that spawn each round...make it more!