Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

.rar Files Taking Insane Amounts of Time to Uncompress

Discussion in Technical Support started by Brett, Nov 27, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    I've noticed this start to happen about a week ago. Whenever I unpack some type of .rar or multi-volume .rar file for, let's say a media file or game, the time it'll take will be anything from 15min-30min just for a 1GB or smaller file. I thought this was just a single file but it has been doing this to everything I uncompress now. Before, it'd be only seconds or a couple of minutes, for even 10GB+, 100% completely and officially legal*, Blu-ray quality files.

I tried doing this without anything open and I still get the same thing. No memory is used up, no processing power is being used at all, and I've scanned my computer with multiple programs, including stick-up-the-ass Norton.

I just did a 3GB file earlier, and it took roughly 27 minutes to uncompress an 8-part file.

I'm getting a bunch of blanks here, could anybody figure this out?
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Could be you either got some corrupt sectors or the files you got are just filled with blanks stuff (easily done).

Try http://www.7-zip.org. I use both but found the level of compression/decompression of 7zip superb.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dec 6, 2011

I believe I have it because I needed to use it for a few exclusive files in the past.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Yeah it does. Just right click -> 7zip -> Extract
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I have my temp file folder on my SSD and it only has about 10MB of stuff on it.
    • May 15, 2011
      Bendi Benderoo is right, 7-zip is the way to go. I use it exclusively, works with all .rar, .zip, and .jar files. WinRAR is for old people like Kyle. :silly:
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Just tried out 7zip and I'm still getting terribru times for uncompressing .rar files. I don't understand this... everything else seems to run perfectly fine on my PC.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Maybe it's just that file? Or maybe it's the new RAR5 format, it might be buggy and slow.

WinRAR master race.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Nah, I've tried a few files since then, there's most likely something in the back corner of my PC that I'm overlooking.