Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Razer Comms

Discussion in Gaming started by Ghost, Jul 8, 2013

1. May 14, 2011
    Worth a look:

Its basically a VoIP application but hosted by Razer itself.

Much better than Skype if you just want to play with a few friends.
  2. Jul 8, 2012
    I use Dolby Axon, but this looks cool too.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Meh, looks cool but doubt it's practical. Hopefully Steam will release better quality voice chat after seeing this.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    This would be great if Skype wasn't doing such a job with their audio codecs (I couldn't care less about the UI) since their VoIP is what basically everyone uses it. Skype licenses (and I still hope they do after their acquisition from Microsoft) SILK which is their ultra complex audio codecs. Steam and Steamworks uses SILK as of 2011. This is the pretty much the same.

Steam has their VoIP integrated with their CDN thus whatever your download speed is will probably determine how well the latency on the mic is. Pretty much if you have a crap connection, you will have a crap audio on the mic.

I rather Steam moves to Mumble low-latency audio delivery direction since they are keen to integrate Open Source features like using Chromium for their in-game browser which is what Chrome is based off and still is.

A nice read if you anyone like http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28985336&postcount=4

tldr: Its the same thing as Steam or Skype but you just don't need to host the server yourself which is quite nice. Thus latency depends on how well your connection is.
  5. Jun 23, 2010

Or Like playing CoD. You or someone else is the Host. If you or they have shitty connection, so will everyone else. :razz:
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    Skype's SILK implements payload based off bandwidth. The quality in all essence, sucks and is limited by the limiting persons. What I want Steam to do is to allow us to choose the codec we wish to use, it's a simple concept. Most people don't mind what is being offered atm, but there are those who would like crispier voices than combobulated ones. However it goes, it'll be nice to see some competition.