Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Rebuild of 3dubka from scratch

Discussion in Work in Progress (WIP) started by GiGaBiTe, Apr 3, 2012

1. Mar 26, 2009
    zm_3dubka is one of my favorite ZM maps, but it falls flat on its face when it comes to detail. Bad world geometry, texturing and lighting make it unpleasing on the eye and an annoyance in some areas to play from getting stuck or difficulty in navigation.

The original author was freely giving out the source to the map to do whatever with, but I decided to forgo trying to fix an already very broken map and rebuild the map from scratch by using a decompiled 3dubka_v3 for reference.

After about two weeks of work, I have the majority of the ground level of the building completed. Here are a few screenshots of the map so far:

[IMG]

You may notice the carpet on the partial 2nd floor is a different color, I plan on using different colored carpeting (blue for ground, green for 2nd and red for 3rd) to help you know where you are in the building, instead of nova prospekt signs on the stairs.

[IMG]

Note double doors have pushbars on the same side. Sadly I couldn't figure out why animations weren't working so the door hardware won't animate properly.

[IMG]

I've had to create three new models specifically for the map. The first is a right version of props_c17/door01_left.mdl so that you can have push bars on the same side of the door on prop_door_rotating double doors (see 2nd screenshot.) The other two are custom rails (last screenshot) because there are literally no good handrail models in any source game that aren't purpose built for the map. There is a 64 and 128 inch version so it can be used on other maps.

If you want to test the map, here's a test version of the map. keep in mind that the map is not optimized yet and may have framerate problems in some areas.

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?uh7d8or7n18hb2t
    • Like Like x 4
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 3
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Feb 11, 2012
      Nice work! Looks better than original :wink: your other rebuilds are really nice
    • Mar 26, 2009
      If anyone has anything they want changed in the new map, better speak now since things can still be easily changed. Once the map gets further along, I'm going to be reluctant to make big changes since it will get more difficult to move things around without breaking something else.
    • Jul 28, 2011
      I always got lost on the original version of this map... if you could make it a little less of a maze and maybe add some more "landmarks" that'd be great. Keep up the good work it looks awesome:thumbsup:
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Feb 11, 2012
        I think original version is too big u could make yard area smaller.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Mar 26, 2009

I had planned on turning the outside into an alley to get around the building, the the crazy displacements were nearly impossible to navigate without getting stuck or blocked. In favor of a plain wall that surrounds the outside, I was probably going to make warehouse and building fascias to make it feel like an alley.
          • Agree Agree x 3
          • Feb 1, 2011
            I have bittersweet feelings about map redos for maps I really like. I completely agree with you that dubka is ugly and your remake already looks better even in a bare bones state. However, it's sometimes impossible to replicate some of the little things that "make" certain spots on maps. Dubka has a lot of spots like that. Areas like the water tower in the corner where the curvature of the grass plays a big part. Also the platform where you can only come up on the grass on one side. And that spot where you can jump from the fence near the vans where the landscape geometry made the spot.

But if you're a big fan of the map then I'm sure you'll want to keep the same feel for the spots as much as I do. I just hope that I don't long for the original version of dubka if it ends up being replaced with a better yet slightly different feeling remake.

Apologies in advance if I sound like a negative nancy bringing up these random thoughts. I really dig what you're doing and have mad respect for your skill and attention to detail.
            • Agree Agree x 6
            • Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Mar 26, 2009
              I'm going to try and recreate the inside of the map as best I can, but the outside is going to be completely different since it will be an alley instead of the wtfdisplacement grass. I'm open to suggestions as to what will be out there when I get to building on that area. Right now I'm working on an elevator and going to see how it turns out. Right now it's really buggy.

[media]
              ]via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrOhj47kmU[/media]

:pain:
            • Mar 12, 2008
              As a zombie, I used to catch so many retards falling off the geometry. Please try to re-create it!
            • Oct 17, 2011
              Can you make the map at night? It won't be dark if you make the light_ environment pitch -80. I'd like to see it 3duka at night
            • Jul 14, 2008
              My only request is that you put the flying vendy machine that is in the original in the area with all the red and blue crates. It would be sweet if you can add another one somewhere else too (perhaps that alley you are talking about).
            • Dec 7, 2010
              I too would like the map's game play to remain the same. If it differs dramatically, I would prefer keeping the original.
            • Feb 18, 2011
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Gigabite, by any chance, can you fuck around with 4way tunnel? :razz: And Angel, we all know that vendy is the only thing that you can get any kills with :razz:

Seriously, I think you're doing a really good job. Just keep the vendy in the original location. Fix the textures and the lighting, make it less of a maze (ofcourse, if you add cheese for us to sniff out, it's fine), and place my spray on every wall. Other than that, leave it alone :wink:
            • Sep 6, 2010
              I believe 3dubka has some illegal spots like on top of the roof outside if I'm not mistaken that need to be taken care of. Also, there're some cheap spots for humans to camp in (like on top of the pipes by the outside entrance where trucks are) so if you can make them a bit more reachable for zombies. Great work so far!
            • Mar 26, 2009
              I had toyed around with the idea of redoing that map, but never decided how I wanted the map to look.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              I thought I had you on steam but I might have deleted. Add me back up and we'll discuss some possibilities. I have my tools ready.
            • Oct 29, 2010
              I thought the pipes were a guaranteed fail spot whenever I used to play Dubka. :bugeyes:
            • Mar 26, 2009
              If you have enough people that actually know what they're doing, you can hold it off.
            • Mar 26, 2009