Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

recommended NON-video tutorials

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Andrew, Mar 5, 2013

1. Apr 12, 2012
    Hey, I've been getting into mapping a little bit over the last few months, and have been reading/watching some tutorials in order to do so.

My problem is: there don't seem to be many advanced non-video tutorials. I'm a fast reader and very computer literate, and I hate sitting through 15-30 minutes of a tutorial to learn 5 concepts I could have read about in less than 5 minutes. I have a small background with 3DSMax and used hammer a little bit about 6-8 years ago, so I have a good idea of the basics of constructing a 3D environment, but I'm clueless when it comes to more advanced things like water, teleports, triggers, etc.

Most text based tutorials I've found are aimed at beginning mappers, and the ones that cover more advanced topics seem overly verbose and not very concise. I would love to find any concise, text-only (with or without pictures) tutorials. Something in the style like the one @sajak just wrote (http://plaguefest.com/threads/new-mappers-read-this-first.14534/) or something like http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=intro would be perfect.

I've found a few that might work, but before I spend time with them, I figured I'd ask if anyone has any favorites they would recommend for advanced concepts?
    Andrew, Mar 5, 2013 Last edited by Andrew, Mar 5, 2013
  2. Feb 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
      titty, Mar 5, 2013 Last edited by [T_T], Mar 5, 2013
    • Apr 12, 2012
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I have considered for quite some time to make complete walkthroughts on 3D modelling for Source SDK with 3DS Max, but the thing is that I can't find the time to make those, as a lot of preparation is needed for those.

By that I mean explaining every aspect completely, like let's say on how to make custom gibs completely, from A to Z, without missing any possiblity. Almost all tutorials out there are always just explaining the basic thing, but it's not really any helpful when you want to advance more into specific things, or simply don't see other possibilities which a tutorial can quickly give.

And also, before that I would have to explain 3DS Max completely from scratch, like let's say the texturing and so forth. I can already imagine me starting tutorials on all the exporting to Source SDK from 3DS Max and no one caring about that, sending me mails and saying "YOU NO TELL HOW TO CREATE MODELS????????????????"

So I'm constantly thinking about it on how I will start all of those, but it requires a lot of basic knowledge about modelling so I hope they wil turn out well. I should just consider the people that would want to watch those tuts that they at least already know on how to create a basic model.
      JorisCeoen, Mar 7, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Mar 7, 2013