Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Recording Game Play locally

Discussion in Software Sanctuary started by Zenzr, Mar 8, 2015

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So I decided in order to improve my game play on just about all the games I play I want to record things locally. I've done this in the past with OBS and some settings, but for a ~40min league game the file was always ridiculously large and the quality was absolute shit. I just assumed I had settings wrong. Is OBS a good program, or are there other comparable free options? Not really looking to pay money but I am uh... aware of the internet we'll say I guess.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    It may be recording RAW AVI. If it is, that's normal. Use Handbrake to put it in a container of mp4 to save into 60% of original size.
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I do. League replays has given me latency issues. Though it's not explainable logically I've seen it happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I also would like to upload it to youtube, so League Replays is not really an option as I'd have to record it with Fraps or OBS anyway.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I've been using fraps over the past 5 years and allowed my channel to become what it is now. It's a magnificent piece of hardware that many people hate for some reason.

Many people say "Oooooh FRAPS, it SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" because "It's HEAAAAAVY" (while it isn't really) all because they have 0 knowledge to record. So many people always come to me and constantly want to find alternatives to FRAPS for NO reason. Anyways, I always tell them to have/do the following regardless, which is a setup that allows FRAPS to run perfectly fine:

1. Buy FRAPS (or crack, but please buy it it's worth it)
      2. If you haven't , buy a secondary HDD. Keep that one free of any files and consider it your recording storage device. Buy one with 2+TB
      3. Set the output folder of FRAPS to this hard drive.
      4. Record at FULL quality and 30/60FPS with a lock on that FPS (meaning it can't go over 30 or 60 fps because multiple framerates sucks) depending on what you deem necessary (Youtube now supports 60FPS which is a cool thing)
      To clarify: FRAPS records uncompressed. In simple words, this means that if you play the video file after recording it it's like as if you're playing again, 0 quality loss to the frames. Because of that, a video file of 2mins will result in 4gig at 30fps and double of that at 60fps. This is a LOT, and the reason why is because FRAPS does not have the time to record AND compress at the same time. It simply can't.
      No recording software can do this decently so far I know. None. Moreover, IF there is such (because I see tons of people becoming exciting to counter-argument me right now) then it's still shit, because you simply don't want your file already compressed. It's many times better if you have the raw quality and then compress it manually with your desired settings in Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere so you can edit it afterwards etc.
      As such, if you're recording and playing on the same hard drive, your FPS will go down the drain, over and out, hence why the 2 hard drives. If you have this setup, and a powerful computer, then you're fine to record pretty much every game.
      The ONLY alternative to this software is DXtory. DXtory has some advantages over FRAPS, first of all it allows all of the codecs to record to a file whereas FRAPS doesn't. FRAPS has it's own encoder and that's it. DXtory also allows recording game sound and mic sound seperatly which is cool. But, the biggest advantage is that it will NEVER drain the FPS, ever. It allows you to use multiple hard drives to keep the storage cost at bay (don't use your game HDD though like I said before). BUT, it records so heavily (over 3 times as many kbps than fraps) that Sony Vegas and many players simply cannot play the video. I bought DXtory and was impressed with it, but that's it. You can't use the encoder of DXtory it just outputs too many kbps and you can't even see the difference.
      Worst disadvantage is that it has no support anymore. So if there's a problem like the one I mentioned above, goodbye DXtory functionality.
      Last things to clarify:
      • Never, ever, record with V-Sync. Why? Because if you're recording at 30/60fps you don't see the screen tearing. If you don't understand this: Screen tearing is a process where you have more than one frame at a time on the screen due to your GPU being too fast which results in having half a part of one frame being overlapped onto the next frame. V-Sync makes sure that this does not happen and that the GPU waits until every frame is on the screen entirely. SO, thinking of that when you recording device limits the FPS in the first place, you'll NEVER get frames overlapping over each other because FRAPS records them all. In other words, you can leave off V-Sync and on top of that improves performance considerably because V-Sync sucks the performance up in every single game I know.
      • Never record at the highest anti-aliasing if you're recording for Youtube. Youtube always re-encodes your video, and will often blur edges a tiny little bit (unless you're at 4K in which it's best to have the highest you can) which allows you to have room for very small and often unnoticeable jagged edges anyways.
      • When compressing in Sony Vegas (or another program of your choice) .wmv is a superb codec for Youtube. It allows you to compress at almost no quality loss, compresses very compactly and most of all doesn't bleed colors like .mp4 or .avi sometimes do, and since length (40+mins) is a problem for you, it's even better to have .wmv because audio and video never desync with that container. Yea, that's right, .mp4 and .avi desync...
      Here are some videos to back up my claims:

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTqntyBd5A8

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjvpHpVyiw

Dear Esther was at 30FPS and takes around 70mins, I remember that the file was around 360GB. In 60FPS you could expect that length to be almost 1TB. The Tengami one is my latest video in 60FPS (You need to watch in Chrome as 60fps is Chrome exclusive) So if you have a 2TB+ hard drive, there's no problem. Even then, if you're going for longer than that, there are programs that allows the seamless pasting of one video to another etc... but I guess it will never end up getting there. Youtube has a 128gb limit so you need to carefully edit and only take what you need for a video.

Lastly, never keep raw footage of your video. Once it's compressed, backup that one instead and get rid of the uncompressed files.

I hope that this was enough information :cool:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
      • Apr 3, 2013
        If you have a nvidia GPU just use Shadowplay
      • Jul 8, 2012
      • Jun 11, 2012

Use Handbrake when you record in Fraps to save a mp4. Say a 10 minute raw video is 22GB, you'll get a 500MB mp4 @108060fpsboobies. And it's mp4 which youtube loves.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          That's probably what I was doing wrong then lol.
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Yeah never ever store raw avi. Use a container to reduce it's size to nothing. You don't lose quality.
        • Oct 25, 2012
        • Jul 8, 2012