Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Reflections issue

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Cuniczek, Feb 24, 2013

1. Oct 4, 2012
    A day ago, this ugly thing somehow happened to me...

Anybody knows how to fix this? It's fine only on few maps. Some stuff I tried to do: Restarting css, restarting steam, rebooting pc, reinstalling css, building cubemaps in a map, removing cubemap materials, running css without /materias folder. Nothing worked, it just fixed for some official maps. Help please :<

Edit: forgot to mention that I have 1 custom skin for P90, but that's not causing it.
  2. Oct 29, 2010
    I had that issue before.

If I recall correctly. . .I think I just used System Restore.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Oct 4, 2012
      You can lock, eat, trash, destroy or send this topic into rape cave.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jul 14, 2010
        Typing mat_fastspecular 0 in console should fix this issue.

I'm guessing you solved the problem, but would you clarify for anyone who may have this issue in the future? Did you find the command above on google or something else..
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jun 11, 2012
          Yes please, if people ever come by here they might find your solution useful.

Also this:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Apr 9, 2012
            It has to do with specular reflections.

A bad way to undo it is typing mat_specular 0, but this will reset everytime you restart CS:S and it removes all reflection everywhere.

I would suggest Dharkk his fix. If it didn't get fixed by then, then could it be that you recently changed any materials onto those terrorist models? Because the only way to gain specular/reflection is by an "env_cubemap" command in a vmt of a material file. So you could also remove it that way, just commenting out (//) the vmf line and you'll never get it again. Doing a steam reïnstall or cs:confused: reinstall will not help.

Good luck, let us know if it got fixed!

EDIT: Nvm you fixed it
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              Thanks rating me late while I give you help. Help never comes too late I guess?
            • Oct 4, 2012
              I didn't solve the problem at all. Luckily I was about to buy new HDD, so I installed Windows and CSS there.

Edit: ohwell it kinda made me mad when I want to lock this thread because I don't need help anymore and suddently people start telling me how to fix it.
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Cuniczek, Feb 28, 2013 Last edited by Cuniczek, Feb 28, 2013
              • Nov 11, 2011
                Then you should have bumped the thread up after a while of getting no responses. Not everyone gets a chance to see every thread that is created. Next time, simply post another message saying *bump* so people can get a chance to look at it.

As some people have mentioned, it's either a cubemap issue, something with the normal file, or something in your vmf. Let's do this step by step:

1) Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\YOUR_USER_NAME\counter-strike source\cstrike\materials\models\weapons\v_models\hands\
                2) Open the file named v_hands.vmt
                3) It should look like this:

"$basetexture"    "models\weapons\v_models\hands\v_hands"
                    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
                    "$bumpmap" "models\weapons\v_models\hands\v_hands_normal"
                    "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"

4) If yours has extra lines in it, please post it here and we'll tell you what's wrong.
                5) If it DOES look like mine, then remove the last three lines (i.e, $envmap to $normalmapalpha)
                6) Restart CS:S and enjoy.

Sorry on behalf of those who did not see your thread initially.
                • Friendly Friendly x 1