Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Refreshing old CS:S maps

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by JorisCeoen, Aug 20, 2012

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Hey people, while I'm installing my new driver version for my GPU I thought it was nice to spend some time on an idea I would have liked to point out for some time:

http://gamebanana.com/csgo/maps/168051

Look at that. Biohazard is good mapper! But the map is horrible.
    We have CS:GO now, Portal 2 engine. This is something I feared somewhat... What I had in mind is why don't we recreate many maps from scratch and instead make something very impressive of old maps (such as ze_artic_escape for example?) or like that map over there... I mean he just ported it. He ported something that was already horrible visually wise... I would just point out that this is now a perfect opportunity to make old maps that are rarely played because of 'first-ze-map' and lazy visualisation issues...

It would not only be much nicer, it would also be more attractive. For the long time that ze is out now, and I think all mappers have undergone so much improvement, I think it's time with CS:GO to forget about porting old maps, but instead recreating them from scratch.

I'm very well aware that this decision only lies within the original mapper of the potential maps that I actually mention, but if you can do it, do it!

This, keep in mind, is only my opinion. Just let me know what you think of it, dis or like :smile: Just wanted to share this.

My driver is installed by now lol
    • Like Like x 2
    • May 14, 2011
      i like this idea. Same thing could be done for mg. :razz:
    • Mar 14, 2011
      Finally some1 realises this over here. GL
    • Nov 11, 2011
    • May 15, 2011

But I would LOVE to see it updated visually for CS:GO. If I had the time I'd be happy to do it. I might start sometime when I get bored/ have free time, but I'm sure someone else will be able to remake it before I get done.

I too have already started (trying) to making new maps for GO. I don't see the point in moving ALL the maps over to GO, since most of us have no problem staying with CS:S instead.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      If only I got a nickel for everytime you said that... This is you claiming to be working on several maps and the result:

[IMG]

:neutral:
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          Don't jinx it! This makes it seem like we actually get to see the maps!
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Jul 1, 2010
            I have a feeling a good amount of people are going to play both, or maybe even switch.. not really looking for every map to be ported over, or really any.. but I'm really hoping that mapping will be done for GO. I know after playing CSGO for a while I'm having massive issues going back to CSS. Doesn't mean I'm going to by any means neglect our CSS servers though.

I personally think GO looks better, feels better, and I have gotten used to the buy menu so that is not really that big of a deal. So far the servers we have up have been full to capacity basically 24/7, even with the server auto-restarting due to debugging by valve..
            • Like Like x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              The only map I intend to port is ze_SSBB_v1, but afterwards it is very likely that I will keep mapping for CS:GO since I think the engine has much more to offer in all aspects :smile:
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Too bad we don't allow the original classic boat escape(s) on our ZE server since they're not considered "good enough", according to map management. I'm disappointed along with others that we don't have them on our CS:S ZE server either.
            • Apr 9, 2012
              I agree. That's why some maps such as these need to be updated. Idc if it would only be visually or only technically (hopefully both though) but it's a stupid (understanding) reason and the original mappers of those maps should do something about imo
            • May 15, 2011
              Gameplay wise those maps are amazing. Just like lila_panic, they were built not for looks, but for playability. If they were given a little TLC. Shove a shitload of makeup on it, maybe add/change a few paths. The map should be golden, since it already is quite fun as it is.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Dec 6, 2011
              • Mar 10, 2012