Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Regular absense

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by JorisCeoen, Mar 20, 2013

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have posted anything on the forums.

I just created this thread for the people who keep asking me where I am and what I'm actually doing, if SSBB is ever going to be released (same about cathedral) and if I have quit ZE or not and if my site is already dead or alive.

At this time, it's the first time since long that I do have a spare time to post this thread and make it. I've been extremely busy with Piano and Organ, music in general. It's my first year in the university (Lemmensinstituut te Leuven in Belgium if anyone cared which Univ it is) and this week + the past ones have learned me what real and busy work is.

Also did I had to have a very hard time redoing my technique for music entirely which took me around 10 houres a day to study persistently until my technique finally corrected itself to way you actually do play piano and organ. My grandmasters are truly one of the bests as teachers and luckily they were so kind to bear with all my horrible errors during my earlier carreer as a musician to put it right. Even then it requires years of practice before it is anything near perfect, so I will yet study houres a day just to find that perfect balance between ration and emotion within the musical world.

Aside from that am I currently mapping for another contest and this time it's gonna much, much, much harder but better than the crap I released earlier. That map had about 4 days of SDK, this contest map already has over a couple of hundreds.

Almost every single piece of prop in my map will be custom content, created by me, this time properly and not half-assed. I do feel it takes a shitload of time, so I am gonna have to cut some plans that should have been implemented in the principal idea, without harming the gameplay.
    The map features custom breakable props with custom gibs, unique trees and vegetation solely for this map (If I win any of the three places the custom content will be released on my site) with swaying options, 2 main houses with 3 floors, DE gameplay, a nice river (again, not frozen this time ofc), HDR, detail prop system (this time with VBSP instead of manually), lots of LODS for optimization and other optimization techniques as well. I am most scared for the gameplay, but I think I got the aesthetics right.

And I spend about 5 times more time with my girlfriend as before. Truly the time you spend outside your PC is so much more interesting, though I yet can't without it, but I did learn to go away from the PC anytime I want, and to better plan my ideas and goals across the spare time I have.

Taking all of that into account is the complete explanatian of my absense from PF and anything else.

SSBB is not dead at all, but it undergoes a gigantic delay to which I honestly have no clue where the next release will take place. It will take place AFTER cathedral, not after the contest. Cathedral will be resumed after the contest. It's mostly porting stuff and optimizing a whole lot more than previously on CS:GO, as it had 50fps back there. Now it has a stable 170fps which is a lot for the given enviroment which renders everything most of the time, especially at the center of the cathedral.

Also on a honest sidenote, I do realize that the models for the cathedral are actually way too high-poly as I progressed now far more in making models with less polys but exactly the same appearance. I did not fix the main models, but I did add an entire LOD system to make up for it, so that mostly fixes the FPS problems.

SSBB latest improvement, so far I remember, was something where a lot of complaint was about, and that is the opacity of the models being a burden to many players as the couldn't see themselves doing anything. I found a system to make them partially see-throught from close or when picking them up. They will still be completely opaque when looking above or a little above the normal POV, but looking down should be much more amusing this time around, so I am glad I fixed that problem by now, however it's a very tedious process and is incredibly time consuming, it takes around 20mins per model to do that only, and having 40 models x20 is about 800mins of time only for that, 13 houres, about 6 days and a half to do that.

So that's it to be updated onto me on everything at once.

TL;DR

Am still active on ZE, SSBB + Cathedral not dead, mapping for a contest and having far less time than before in general
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Real life has a tendency to capture your time more than virtual life. However, I do understand the copious amount of time first year university will/can take and with time you'll be an expert at managing your time as you see fit. I had the same issue on my first year where I gave up on sleep for days just to crash extremely hard every friday at 3pm.

Still, it looks like your doing quite fine at juggling many things and I do hope all the best for you for the contest. I always like to reference Valve game development ideology: "It will be ready when We deem it to be ready". So if SSBB is taking time, let it take time and don't listen to those telling you to put out ASAP. Even if you have to delay it because you can't work on it, that is a good thing. I wouldn't want a game where someone who wasn't interested to work on it participated in its development.

And yeah, I did see you being more and more active in ZE. Always good to have more community people on the server.
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Yea, I just added that one right after watching my long post, realising many people probably wouldn't want to read it.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Here is a sneak peak to my contest map, it's the first almost-finished area I can show:

[IMG]

All of the models are created by me, as well as all the textures.
          Final map will be done in arguably a week (hopefully)
          • Like Like x 2
          • Artistic Artistic x 2
          • Jan 14, 2012
          • Apr 9, 2012
            Thanks! It took me already 2 months for all of the assets. I didn't show the actual front and real 'battlefield' are because it's not entirely finished yet, but the map is quite bigger than the picture shows, however it shows the atmosphere very well. There is just no 3D skybox (visible) yet
          • Nov 11, 2011
            Your road texture is misaligned (somewhat non-repeat)! :shock: But I would love to use it. You should release a texture pack soon :wink: And is that skybox texture HD? Looks pretty nice.
          • Apr 9, 2012
            I see what you mean, but that is actually ment to be. I didn't expect it to look misaligned, I'll see what looks best!
          • May 14, 2011
            You can see the square of the skybox. :shock:
          • Apr 9, 2012
            I know, it's probably because the textures are from CS:S, and I have to recompile them as 7.5 textures, but tis was already from the beginning. Since I have to focus on finishing the most important things, these are all issues I will adress at the last day :smile: but I was already surprised no one mentioned that by now, but you did so it's alright xD
          • Dec 27, 2012
            It truly looks great! Can't wait to see the other parts too! =)
          • Apr 9, 2012
            I'll create a new thread when it's released anyways, so you'll be up-to-date for sure! The other parts feature both houses, the garage, the cellars, the bottom part with the river and the entire skybox as well with everything being included that make the level finally finished.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Apr 9, 2012
              4 new pictures which show a yet early building stage of the map. Much content is already created but not yet implemented, however I thought I would share some pics:

Buildings outside (Too clean yet and not much foreground detail or even any props)
              [IMG]

My veranda, created today. Took a while (Roof needs detail and inside props are not yet implemented)
              [IMG]

Inside of the bar drinking room, much detail needed yet such as flower pots etc, some glasses here and there, the usual stuff:
              [IMG]

And as final some of the nature POV's of the map. Railing done today, but a lot of other rails parts have yet to be implemented:
              [IMG]

Also, all of the content is created by me (the chairs, tables, textures, curtain, veranda, trees, breakable windows, the bar and all the doors.

Places not yet shown: Both bathrooms, both bedrooms, atelier, garage, the cellars, both attics, down-part forest, river, kitchen, toilet.

It's 3:00 AM, goodnight everyone!
              JorisCeoen, Apr 10, 2013 Last edited by JorisCeoen, Apr 10, 2013
            • May 14, 2011
              I love the floating bushes in this picture:

[IMG]

:victory:
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Apr 9, 2012
                A lol yea, well it's a complete asset of bushes and I always need to make a selection, so it's easy to have them by hand to copy-paste them very quickly xD
              • Nov 11, 2011
                Of course, flying foliage is normal for Joris. :cute:
              • Apr 9, 2012
                Ok, final compîle is going, soon I'm gonna post the map
                • Like Like x 3
                • Jan 11, 2012
                • Dec 27, 2012