Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Remove Holmes Escape

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Escape started by Badgriuel, Mar 27, 2013

Should Holmes Escape be removed?

No 16 vote(s) 30.8%
Yes 36 vote(s) 69.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 20, 2010
    Well recently the server has been dying or losing a lot of it's population when this map is played on the server. A majority of the players don't like it and it's very bland at times. Some people like the map but a big majority don't and simply leave the server or sit in spec while its being played.

It seems every time this map is played we just lose people and the server slowly starts to die off at times where it is usually running at around 30-40 players. I for one don't like the map as it's boring, confusing, not aesthetically pleasing, and has poor music choices.

Let's keep the discussion civil and no flaming each other.
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sep 9, 2012
      I personally dont care for this map......>Yupp
    • Jul 23, 2012
      My vote is mixed. On one hand, HOLMES ESCAPE GUYZE, MAP OF THE YEAR (paid for by Kotaku).
      On the other, the gameplay on it is stale, there's little to no guidance (other than the giant arrows that tell you where to go in the beginning) and it's extremely confusing half the time. It empties the server when we play it even when we play over-played maps right before it. If I recall, someone from management was on who saw and noted that the server completely died when we went on holmes.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mar 4, 2012
        I disagree. The map is no worse than other mid-tier maps on PF and it is no more confusing than any other map if you pay attention to the console.

I feel like half of the negative view of Holmes is people bashing it publicly on the server and it leaves a negative impression on people who haven't played it before.

tl;dr holmes is no worse than half the shit on PF.
        • Agree Agree x 4
        • Apr 1, 2012
          why do I have a bad feeling about this...
          anyway, if we're going to remove holmes, we might as well remove other "boring, shitty" maps that no longer please the masses and get rtv'd 5-15 mins in like sorrento, elevator, underground escape etc where server population would drop as well down to 25-40 after a full house session in pred/mako/minas/skyrim.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jul 20, 2010
            But you have to agree though it does empty the server out a lot.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Feb 14, 2012
              The only thing I like about the map is the fish... but even that is/was glitchy as fuck
            • Jul 23, 2012

The difference being that mid-tier maps are fun with the right groups of people, I have yet to see a group that actually likes Holmes, say what you will but aesthetically the map is atrocious, the gameplay is boring as fuck, and the music is offputting.

Sorrento, underground escape, and elevator are actually fun when you DON'T have a full server since that's just grief / troll city.
              • Agree Agree x 4
              • Feb 1, 2011
                Agreed, I've witnessed this happen several times recently, and not only when coming off of big maps like pred/mako. Maybe if it can be revised to be more player-friendly - arrows of where to go, better lighting, etc - it could stay.

EDIT: However Benvolio makes a good point that there are plenty of other maps on rotation that do the same thing to pop by being boring/bland/confusing.
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Jan 14, 2012
                  I do like the map @ZombieFurbie, but like I said before in game, it's quite hard to understand if you don't know the map. Even though I can really appreciate good graphics, I think gameplay is more important. The whole idea of the map is of course an open world map, kudoos for the originality. However, more visual guidance would be nice. Not all people read and / or notice the console commands, so having arrows and well timed music when a gate opens will certainly help (Parkers pit by @jb_gamble does this very well for example).

@ZombieFurbie don't let haters get you down, try to see this as an opportunity to enhance this map :smile:
                • Jul 23, 2012
                  While there maybe other maps on rotation that empty the server, we don't even play them. People love to troll and nominate holmes and others follow suit by spamming 1 and changing the map to it. Which in turn empties the server.
                  • Agree Agree x 3
                  • Feb 1, 2011
                    I was gonna mention the troll nominating of holmes but decided to leave it out. Glad you brought it up - valid point!
                  • Dec 6, 2011
                    I've been hounding @ZombieFurbie to constantly update the map, with the most recent version being a decent upgrade from the previous.

EDIT: People need to learn to read...
                    Brett, Mar 27, 2013 Last edited by Brett, Mar 27, 2013
                  • Jul 20, 2010
                    The other maps that are rarely played that are "shitter" don't empty out the server like Holmes does there's a big difference, it would be very different from Making a "remove Mako" thread as one map keeps the server pop up while the other effectively kills it.
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Mar 20, 2012
                      Like somebody said: " Holmes Escape , the only map where u need the mapper to beat it"
                      Im not a hater nor a fan of your map and I encounter times where some pf members are especially unfair against u in term of critizism etc. because they are spoiled with good(muchdetail) maps lately.
                      BUt, maps like 30secs or even older paranoid versions (just a maze after all copy&paste much) prove, that this doesnt determine the map overall rating/playability...

However like Hek already mentioned it needs more guidance, maybe u can now use the textoverlay like on cristmas_infection for the very important advises/messages aswell. Or make the arrows in different colors as the background textures. Music Audio helps too...like on minas "retreat"-sound

There are still some issues I really hate.. like the halfzombie under snow, the missing textures under water, some bad placed models, then there are at some points ladders where u could simply jump over it or u dont even see the laddertexture. Some special weapons info is only appearing like 1 sec and the weapon has no ammo. Or the vending machines that people shoot in other peoples way to troll them.
                      This creates much confusing and sucks for the new players.

If its open world there shouldnt be wayes u can go that lead to nothing. Every way must then have an ending. I dont know if this is the case on your map, cause I still dont fully understand it^^

edit: ah ye , what ive experienced on pf is that we dont remove maps unless they crash the server or when we have similar versions already on it

We after all should support mappers that are in our community and they shouldnt fear to release new maps when they are someway new or 2 much classic and therfor some people might hate it.
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                        -L-, Mar 27, 2013 Last edited by -L-, Mar 27, 2013
                      • May 30, 2012
                        I May agree in this thread as i find it very sad to see Peoples are using it to "troll" with...
                        Also do i find the Map VERY confusing without a guide playing with us... :neutral:
                      • Jan 13, 2013
                        Also, i do find the map VERY confusing*. <---grammar nazi(NO FIREFOX, I REFUSE TO CAPITALIZE THE N) =D.

I think it should be removed because the whole "Open world" concept makes it less of a zombie escape, and more of a zombie mod map. Sure there are holds and things, but for the most part it's who can take the path with the least amount of people on it. The server population dies, and the game play to me is just overly boring.
                      • Oct 29, 2010
                        Or me making a "remove Skyfagdom" thread. . .

But I digress.

The only reason why we nominate Holmes at such frequency is that the server finds the map ironically funny.

Alas, thus began the emergence of Holmes' cult status as the map people nominate it to polarize the general mood of the ZE population:

[DERP has nominated ze_holmes_escape_pf_v6]

"guise, let's play holmes escape".
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Winner Winner x 1
                        • Jun 11, 2012
                          The map shows very good ideas and encompasses many good ideas. With that I feel that the execution of the map while not terrible, could be better. Don't take this the wrong way but I keep hearing of the Open World Concept but I yet to actually see since every time I'm taken to the same path on each level. As a Open Word game fanatic with a combine of 1500 hours of game time from the Fallout series, I really don't find the map "Open". If I'm able to go away from the group of human and not follow the "main" path and still be able to win, that will be perfect. I shouldn't be forced to choose a path in order to follow a linear gameplay. (This may be over the top but you have the basis of the ideas already understood as per your WIP thread)

Should the map be removed? If it causing this mass issue, maybe but until it can be rectified. Can the map be fixed and made ? Surely from what I've seen on the latest test that we had on ZE. I was actually interested in your latest changelog by again incorporating certains amazing ideas as NG+ and the unlock Boss.

I wish you take certains point in this thread in order to deliver a map that is both staying true to your ideology and still having creative freedom, but also delivering a map that is enjoyable to the general population.
                          • Agree Agree x 3
                          • Sep 8, 2012
                            Well quite frankly we have a lot of griefers/people who are new to ZE and listen to the people on the mic or people who spam chat with the vote they want. Just yesterday we were playing predator and the vote comes up. Guess what's #1 on the vote? Holmes escape. So somebody on the mic like @Doctor who'd think it would be flat out hilarious to have holmes beat predator in a map vote decides to tell everyone to pick holmes escape, telling them it's a really good map. Well, holmes beats predator by more than 10 votes when we all know that would never happen..

Also, I don't see what you guys are talking about that the server "dies". Seems to me it stays at 63/63 with around 10-20 spectators (as usual..)

in my opinion I think that the map is quite enjoyable once you get around stage 2 and 3 where you can pick up the "golden" shotgun with an IGN symbol, fight the fish boss, get the hover boots and fly threw the map, etc. Removing this map wouldn't be so fair considering people (sometimes even myself) like to play it.
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.