Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Remove zm_autoville_round_v1a_pf From Rotation

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Feb 18, 2014

Remove the map?

Yes 21 vote(s) 61.8%
No 7 vote(s) 20.6%
Don't Care 6 vote(s) 17.6%
  1. Feb 27, 2012
    I don't vote this map be removed because it's really bad or something, but it's because of the randomization thing (every round the map builds itself for a different experience each round), that a lot of spots become illegal in certain instances, but in others they're not. I have no idea how @enviolinador made this map exactly so i don't know if i just wanna clip stuff off. The other reason is because this map is just so empty on spots that you can actually hold, that if the stairs spot and 4 room center building doesn't spawn, there's no where you can possibly hold against zombies. I like the idea of the map, but since everything not clipped where it probably should be, this opens up the potential to a lot of illegal spots, and when a couple of rank whores are in what should be an illegal spot for that round, the map just drags on, not to mention we barely made it through the entire first round before it was RTV'd. Every time we have played it for the last couple weeks, it has just been RTV'd.

This map is a server killer because of the reasons i listed above. I like the idea of the map, but it just doesn't perform well as it is.

Example of a spot that should be illegal in this instance.
    [IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Aug 30, 2013
      I don't know if its possible to add ladders so that if the map ends up in this scenario, those buildings have an easy access point
      • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      • Dec 17, 2007
        this map is useless just as 4 way tunnel…i vote to have it removed as well
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • May 31, 2012
          Considering it's nothing but a test map done in a few hours to show how to make maps that build themselves, I don't even know how it was on rotation for that long. In the thread where I posted it I explained how it was done/works, though, as well as the .vmf.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Mar 26, 2009

While a dynamic map is an interesting idea, the implementation in this case was very poor. Besides the fact that I hate developer textured levels, the badly designed and thought out buildings create tons of problems with extremely difficult spots that everyone goes to and the impossible spots that only the skilled get to and hang up every round. More often than not, Zombies have to ride out the timer because it's just not possible to get to players.

It's not possible to make the HL1 style ladders that are available in CS:S dynamic. The HL1 style ladders actually chop the visleaves and a specific visleaf becomes a ladder that players can move around on.

HL2 style ladders would be problematic to make dynamic. While the func_useableladder entity is parentable and can move around, the info_ladder_dismount entity used for entrance/exit points along the ladder is not. You can make a func_useableladder without info_ladder_dismount points, but it makes it extremely difficult to dismount the ladder. In some cases where a bunch of players get on the ladder at the same time, it may be impossible to dismount the ladder since you usually have to be at the top or bottom to try and get off.

About the only thing that would work are Xen style bouncepads, but the theme of the map wouldn't blend with them, and they'd just add one more thing to potentially be abused to the map.
          • May 31, 2012
            Brush entities textured with toolsladder will act as ladders, although a bit glitchy (but they'd do in this case). A few ZE maps use them and they work (although you're often sent into space if the brush entity moves/you reach the top of the ladder). Besides, what he mentions doesn't require parented/moving ladders, just a ladder to be spawned there if that particular combination appears.
          • Feb 27, 2012
            On my duke map i have one of the ladders set as a func_brush and it works perfectly like envi said. In this case if it could be placed on each building, that would help balance out the spots, but most spots still need more and better props, or just need more balancing, which isn't that hard. But i also agree with gigabite, you made terrible use of the dev textures :<
          • May 31, 2012
            Yeah, I'm not a zm mapper myself (or haven't been for long), so it's normal that the map isn't suited for gameplay, even more so being a test map done in one evening. I'd like to see maps with this mechanic, though; I got tired from zm because it was always the same damn thing. I guess zm peeps could say the same about ze, though.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Feb 3, 2012
              I have full support for this map to be removed. I personally thought the randomization wouldn't be such a great idea on ZM. Map kills the server frequently as well.
            • Dec 11, 2013
              I also support to remove this map, randomization map it's not very good for zm ..... :smile:
            • Feb 1, 2011
              I'm not a big fan of the gameplay on this map but for a while there it seemed to have a following. The fact that it's being played must mean someone's nominating it. If it's turned stale in the past month and is killing the server pop when its on then it makes sense to have it removed.

btw... 4way is a classic and I will amass an army to defend it! The gameplay potential on that map is unmatched on zm imo

tldr: gameplay
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Feb 27, 2012
                The people nominating it are trolls/rank whores. It's always the same couple people that help each other up to these illegal spots to win. When the server is full, there are a lot of dumb zombies that just keep jumping up against the wall and trying to stab them, even though they are about a zombie tower of about 5 too short (if you could stack that many) so they just cash out on the easy kills and get their rank up. When the right buildings/combination of buildings spawn, they boost each other to impossible places and camp there.

tldr: rank whores nominating it for easy kills in illegal spots.
              • Feb 13, 2014
                I rather like the idea that the map changes every round. I find it makes it more interesting and difficult that you can't run to the same spot every round, and constantly have to find somewhere new. However, I do agree that this particular map does not have the best layout, and as Tony mentioned when a particular combination spawns, impossible spots do get filled that should probably be illegal. I'm indifferent to it being removed or not.

If it is killing the server as often as people are saying then that in itself should be enough reason to seriously look at having it removed. I definitely dislike a dead server.
              • Jan 5, 2014
                whoa i am not a rank whore. you hardly get any kills when you're up there for a matter of fact because there are way too many zombies to concentrate on. the map is not a server killer, its always full when its there, even though some may dislike. the best part of the map aside from the randomness is the rounds do end quickly and you dont need to run around looking for people. most of these so call OP areas cannot be held alone. people jus need to learn to work as a team.

the other day, autoville was on number 2, and everyone ended up voting for it. so you cant blame that to trolling or spamming.

i think for a first time mapping this map, its a great map. don't sell yourself short for an awesome map.

4way is awesome fun. i used to hate it but you just gotta find ways to make it fun.
                Mochi, Feb 21, 2014 Last edited by Mochi, Feb 21, 2014
              • Feb 21, 2007
                tag me in this thread in a couple of days after this thread has had a little bit more time for everyone to view, and I will make a decision then.
                • Like Like x 1
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  And how do you expect that to happen in this specific spot? It's the perfect example of a ledge spot. I watched the two hold it perfectly fine the ENTIRE round.

"VOTE 2 GUYS VOTE 2! 2222222222222 2 GUYS 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 VOTE FOR IT 222222222222222222" you could pull that shit with just about any map as long as nobody says "no that's a shitty map vote for 1" It was RTV'd before the zombies even spawned in the second round people hated it so much.

If it were possible to make this spot illegal, it probably would be, but it's not just because of how this map builds itself each round. All this map is is either super OP spots or lucky spots where nobody turned into a zombie and there is 20 humans defending. There is only 1 legitimately good spot, and that's the 4 room center buildings when you go in the room that is against the wall. That i would say is the only fair spot in the entire map. Everything else is entirely zombie sided.

I can tell you right now, when you or whoever was up there that day, i was getting so bored i went into spec and tabbed out to do other shit (including making this thread) until the round was over.
                • Jan 5, 2014
                  doesn't happen too often, we're usually not the only one left alive, the room u speak of usually lasts and we end up just jumping around
                • Oct 30, 2013
                  I personally have grown to like this map, but i see the concern there is 1 spot that is like on the rotation 90% of the time and i know i wont ever be killed there.(below screenie)That spot should indeed be illegalbeing there is only 1 way up witch requires a boost as indicated by my sexy arrow.
                  [IMG]

And for these roofs the second probably most impossible spot 90% of the time when there is access to these roofs ether only a donator and up could make the jump or its an incredible ledge spot. so why not just make these roofs illegal completely.(below screenie)
                  [IMG]
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  exactly, at times, and at times it can't be, like in this instance of my screenshot. I don't know where everyone gets the idea that just because it takes 2 people to hold a spot, that it can't be illegal. It doesn't matter how many it takes, it can still be illegal.

Sure.

From what i've seen and experience, this is the most fun spot to hold and attack as it is actually possible no matter the skill of the player(s) on the inside.

Okay, you're nice enough to not delay the round sometimes, props to you. But when it gets delayed, it's no fun at all. We aren't here to play "let's run around for 3 minutes while the last two humans just sit in an OP spot!" We're here to play "Let's stab the humans/Let's defend ourselves from zombies!" Like peter showed in the second screenshot above, that's a better view of the spot. There are only 2 ways up, and it requires the teamwork of 3. You can barely ever get the teamwork of 2 unless you have friends in the server. you need someone to boost 2 zombies onto either tree, and then one of the zombies on the tree boost the other zombie to make a barely possible jump to the building.