Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Rescuing a Macbook 2011 (I think) editon

Discussion in Technical Support started by Zenzr, Aug 2, 2014

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So from my work I am attempting to rescuse a 2011 Macbook. Everything seems to be working just fine, except when I first booted it up it booted into a flashing world page. I hard powered it down (held power key) and now it won't turn on.

I literally have zero experience troubleshooting a Mac. Does anyone have any idea? I've tried a lot of things from Google already, but feel free to make serious suggestions.

Also, please leave out the troll 'OMG IT'S A MAC IT'S SHIT" comments. I know this already. But I will not complain about getting a free one to use if I can.

@Benderius @Secprotocol I know you guys are familiar with Apple.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    I've never had my mac failed nor have I ever installed the OS on it. I know that the hard turn on is a lot longer on macs (like 10 seconds or so). Maybe @atxdragon or SP would know.
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    Try to reset SMC. Disconnect power adapter, remove battery, hold power button for 5-10 secs, reconnect battery and try again.
  4. Aug 7, 2012
    Sounds like the hard drive failed. The flashing globe is the network boot graphic. This indicates that the primary boot method failed and the macbook was trying to boot from an alternate source.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I looked at the hard drive. it's a slow ass 5400rpm drive. I might throw my Toshiba 750GB HDD in there. See if that makes a difference. Or maybe one of my 840 Pros.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      Could I boot from usb directly to solved that, say to like Linux or something as you would on a PC? Or is a new HDD the way to go?
    • Dec 30, 2006
      Reset PRAM. Reset SMC. See if it boots up to the blinky world. If it does, let it sit there and see if it continues to boot. You can try to hold the alt/option button and it should show you what options you have to boot.

If it doesn't, hold s before the world comes up and it should start in single user mode. From there, learn how to type in commands (like linux) and try to set the target disk to the boot drive rather than network.

If that fails, keep going.

Hold D and see if diagnostics boots up. It usually does if no one has formatted the OS from factory. See if whatever/if anything fails.

If that doesn't give you any info and the HD is still chugging away, assuming its not an HD failure, go download mavericks from somewhere and use it to format. I can help you with that if we get to that part.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I believe I have reset both of those (PRAM and SMC) let me find the links I've tried.
      • Dec 30, 2006
        1. Shut down the computer.
        2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
        3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
        4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
        5. Press the power button to turn on the computer
        Pram:
        1. Shut down your Mac.
        2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
        3. Turn on the computer.
        4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
        5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
        6. Release the keys.
        Above steps are for unibody style MBPs
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          How long do I wait between pressing them and releasing them?
        • May 31, 2012
          I would follow Secprotocol's recommendations because it's the easiest procedures and it never hurts to try; almost every Apple's diagnostic procedures recommends resetting SMC and PRAM first. From my experience - in the long run - it's normally the HDD as Atxdragon already suggested.

By the way, if you do happen to mess with the HDD, make sure you unplug the battery first. You should do this on a PC but people tend to get away with it anyways, but you most likely wont get away with it while repairing an Apple product. I've seen a lot of system boards get ruined that way.

Source: I'm an Apple Certified Mac Technician, but I'm without GSX privileges because I don't work for an ASP location anymore.

edit:
          If I can recall correctly, there is no notice for the SMC reset; however, PRAM reset will make that Apple boot sound twice.

Another thing you can do is try booting to the recovery partition. There are two ways to do this: i) as you are turning it on hold Apple Command Key + R, or ii) hold Option while booting and pick the recovery partition. See if it recognizes the HDD.
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I believe I have done both of those resets, and nothing happens when I do. The only way I got any kind of a boot sound was when I held the SMC reset keys it would turn on for about 2-3 seconds, get the white boot screen and then turn off.

I have zero experience inside a mac, besides cleaning one with air for my former roommate and my other friend. So any kind of helpful advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you both @Joshy and @Secprotocol for you advice. I don't think those are working for me.

I will be going on to the next step of troubleshooting.
          Post Merged, Aug 2, 2014
          WE HAVE LIFE HOLY SHIT.

After hold Shift Control Option and power for about 10 seconds it boots for more than 2 seconds too.
          Post Merged, Aug 2, 2014
          Further update:

The screen brightness key seems to be stuck on f1 meaning it dims the screen all the way down. Any idea how to fix that?

After rebooting it boots up to that world screen. After letting it sit on that screen it finally boots into the OS.
          Zenzr, Aug 2, 2014 Last edited by Zenzr, Aug 2, 2014
        • May 31, 2012
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I ninja edit'ed my post after you replied. Right now it's on the lock screen. and it goes to completely black screen. But if I hold the f2 button it's fine.
        • Dec 30, 2006
        • Jun 11, 2012
        • Jul 8, 2012
          I'm not sure, I'm probably going to be swapping drives anyway, as it's a 5400RPM drive. I have a 750GB 7200RPM drive I want to use. I was planning on reinstalling Mavericks anyway.
        • Dec 30, 2006
        • May 31, 2012
          What if you boot holding option? Or alternatively try the recovery partition? Does it recognize your HDD?
        • Jul 8, 2012
          Doesn't appear to boot unless I hold Control Shift Option and power and let it go.