Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Restringing Acoustic Guitar

Discussion in Creativity started by Benvolio, May 14, 2013

1. Mar 4, 2012
    Hey so I'm restringing my acoustic guitar for the first time (normally just let my dad do it) and I just wanted some advice on which strings to get. I'm leaning toward a set of 80/20 bronze 12 gauges.

At this point I mostly finger pick rather than use a normal pick I've heard phosphor bronze is better for finger picking but I'm still leaning toward the heavy gauge 80/20 bronze.

Any advice pf?
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    Hmm, I'd suggest asking at a music store. I don't really remember the names of all but I used nickel strings for my bass guitar. The ones that don't break too easily are good, normally more expensive. For finger picking I'd suggest something softer, also because it is an acoustic guitar and I assume you don't play heavy stuff on it. For electric especially if you play some heavy stuff like metal its better to have harder strings that don't break too easily but they are a bit tougher on the fingers.
  3. Feb 1, 2011
    I don't know much about the numbers of the sizes. Also I usually use a pick but I do also do some fingerpicking. I've always been partial to light gauge strings. I think they sound crisper and better. they are easier to bend and difficult fretwork like bar chords sound much better and less muted with light strings, unless you have really strong fingers I guess. My brand of choice is elixir
  4. Mar 4, 2012
    Well I wanted to strengthen my fingers so I thought I'd go with the heavy gauges. Plus I've been playing for two years now so I don't think they'll be a problem. I've heard elixir is good I will probably go with those if the store in town doesn't have d'addario.
    Post Merged, May 14, 2013
    Yeah that's what I'm probably going to do.
  5. Feb 1, 2011
    You might be surprised how heavy "heavy" guage strings are. I've always found them very cumbersome. Its a much different story on electric guitar however
  6. Sep 6, 2010
    Yeah, different story for bass too. I have two electric basses and I managed to break my G-string on it! If you know the instrument, the strings are pretty thick but I was doing slap and pop stuff.
  7. Mar 4, 2012
    Hm. I'll have to ask my dad what he's been putting on my guitar then in case I've been playing light strings and not medium like I assumed.
    Post Merged, May 14, 2013
    I have a habit of breaking strings when I get really into playing which is why I am looking at heavier strings.
  8. Mar 12, 2008
    I always used to use Ernie Ball strings when my guitar was in commission. They had a nice sound and lasted a while. They were the nickle wound ones, not sure if they make bronze ones though, check em out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Love Ernie Ball electric strings. Do they make acoustic too? If so I never knew - for some reason I thought they only did electric.
    • Mar 12, 2008
      It might be electric only, and it's been a long while since i checked. I bought enough strings at a time for my guitar so i wouldn't have to go back to Hipster Center and deal with them and their "all-knowing knowledge of anything that makes a tune".

EDIT: I just googled this. They indeed carry acoustic strings, at the online store.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/acoustic-strings
      Taters, May 14, 2013 Last edited by Taters, May 14, 2013
    • Oct 13, 2011
      First of all, there's no specific thickness of strings for finger picking. It's all about you.

Personally I think Elixir are the best. D'Addarios are good if you play a lot because special coating on elixir wears off quickly. That means you are paying $4 more for nothing.

aaaand if you are new to acoustic guitar I recommend using lighter strings. Because it starts to hurt after sometime this is exactly what happened to me. I started learning with an acoustic and it was too hard, when I had my first classic guitar I was more comfortable.