Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Review on NFS Most Wanted (2012)

Discussion in Gaming started by Brett, Nov 4, 2012

1. Dec 6, 2011

Now, many (including me) thought this was going to be some bullshit NFS:Most Wanted re-work spewed out to roll in some extra cash, but I was proven wrong. After a couple hours of racing, my view was changed.

Alright, to start, this is almost nothing similar to the original Most Wanted, except for the large free-roam area. I know some want to head back to the Underground 1,2/Most Wanted/Carbon direction, but this isn't so bad. It's a new generation of NFS and I'm looking forward to Criterion making more NFS titles in the future.

~Graphics/Visuals-
    The first thing that hit me was the graphics. THE GRAPHICS ARE INSANE. The game is optimized very well, and I run a smooth max 60FPS no matter where I go. I haven't encountered a single "early stages for the game" glitch in the gameplay or the graphics. Sun glare is just right, the street reflections aren't mirrors, and the buildings are very detailed. Everything is just right.

~General Gameplay-
    You're almost immediately thrown into the game, which was quite enjoyable. There are minimal amounts of menus, and you're almost always racing. Your upgrades are in an "EasyDrive" drop-down menu you can access while in free roam, and it offers a variety of different parts to choose from. You may want off-road tires or track tires, depending on your terrain; or a lightweight body vs. a heavyweight body depending on if you want to absorb more damage or fly around the corners faster (and many more). Now what I thought was out of the ordinary was the way you changed cars. There's no garage to store your rides, or car lot to purchase some from. It's basically just hot-swapping in the middle of free roam! These "jack spots" have set cars in each spot that you can discover throughout the game, with 125 in all, varying 41 different cars. Each car has its own set of races that unlock parts for that car alone, so you're not using a single car throughout the whole game.

~Game Realism-
    Now you're not going to get your fancy Dirt 3 car damage, or Forza Motorsport car statistics, but Most Wanted does quite a bit better than its previous NFS titles. There's a lot more detail to roadside hazards that can stop your car if you slam into them, and realistic city cars that can slow you down. To combat the ugly damaged cars that you may probably not want to look at, they added in many "auto shop drive-throughs" that you literally drive through and it repairs/repaints your car.

The car handling and steering is always hard to get to everyone's liking, but I think this will suffice. I'm not the biggest fan of their steering and how fast it auto-pulls you back to the center, but I can get used to it. You feel quite in control of your car.

In conclusion, many of you will enjoy this game, and I recommend getting it. I picked it up for $37 on www.greenmangaming.com on pre-order, so I'm really happy.

Here's a small bit of it, showing the jack spots to swap cars.
  2. Aug 18, 2006
    Indeed. I've been playing this game the past several days as well. It looks great and runs great. I have few complaints. Although if you want realism... LOL... This game is DEFINITELY not for you. Go play some Gran Turismo 5.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    Damage is a lot better which is nice. I just wish they would've went a tiny bit more realistic on the steering.
  4. May 14, 2012
    hate this game. the customization sucks and the AI's always find a way to cheat. the cops are quite annoying also. the only good thing about this game is the multiplayer since actual players cannot cheat. and the actual gameplay is like playing an arcade game(not realistic at all).
  5. Aug 18, 2006
    The NFS series is NOT a driving simulator. Play GT/Forza for that.
  6. Apr 9, 2012
    I've been playing NFS:MW for years lolz, it's still the best NFS title out there. The graphics may not be top but the gameplay certainly is!
  7. May 14, 2011
    I didn't like the game. When I couldn't figure out how to customize my car I gave up. Where the simple car spinning on a disc with a massive menu garage screen? :frown:
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    AI's are actually a lot better in this game, compared to others where they magically catch up. Like Ray said, they have Forza/GT for all your realism needs.

Wrong game silly nilly. This is the 2012 version.

You don't like the game because you're trying to play with a keyboard. The game is not meant for a keyboard!
  9. May 15, 2011
    The NFS series has always felt like an arcade racer that wanted to join the realism club way to hard. (Much like the Gran Turismo series.) I played a few a long time ago, and although I loved the cop chases, the races were incredibly dull for me. It didn't feel like any skill was being used as I simply hit the gas and went as fast as I could. Corners were easily creamed with but a tap of the E-brake and a swift drift.

Looking at the video, and other videos, I noticed that billboards and gates were added. Being a Burnout fanboy I had to laugh. Especially when you said they have auto repair shops. Let me guess they have auto boost shops too? :giggle:

I don't know if they improved on the steering and handling. From what I saw, it looked a lot better than it used to be. The only real turn off for me is the boost.

To me, this game looks exactly like Burnout Paradise, only it's missing the destructive part of the game. Like someone gives you a bowl of Captain crunch, you go to take a bite and 'oh look, someone shit in it.' How nice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 14, 2012
      im just saying. but the NFS games before this one were way better
    • May 15, 2011

Knowing it was made by Criterion makes me a lot more forgiving of this game. So everything being similar to Burnout Paradise makes me feel that it isn't all bad. Right now, the only thing driving me away from the game is the crashing and damage. From what I saw, the damage is severely nerf'd, as T-boning a pedestrian car has little to no real effects on your car and you can just drive away from crashes. This would become incredibly annoying if you crashed and lodged your car in an awkward position at times.

Still not a huge fan of the NFS series, but the game is starting to look rather appealing to me.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Well, I know they're not back to the old NFS style, but with this I think it's a large step towards making it better than the previous bullshit we've put up with. I heard there's an online petition going around for a complete remake copy of Underground 2, remastering all of the game's racing. I would just outright love this, but I know it's a long shot since they have dollar signs for eyes.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I wanted to update on Most Wanted, since I just beat the game but still have a large amount of parts/cars to unlock.

What I've noticed is that this is an "unlockers/achievement junkie's dream". I've found that the more and more I unlock parts for cars and complete races for them, the more addicted I become. Yes, a few things need some tweaking and others need complete revamping, but overall, if you like unlocking and upgrading, you'll find this game to be quite the addiction.
        • Like Like x 1