Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

RIP Mumble

Discussion in Website Feedback & Bugs started by Noodles, May 30, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 12, 2012
    Mumble is probably the worst voice communication software ever. I understand it's open source and free, but with just 1 extra server admin per month ($11.20 to be exact), that'll spot a 50-slot Ventrilo server. I've used Ventrilo and Teamspeak and Ventrilo is by far the best.

Was talking to a few people on Mumble and we were discussing about how PF has the greatest servers and the shittiest voice com software :razz:

So, can we get Vent? :heart::heart::heart:

Edit: Hell, I don't mind paying about $10 a month for a Vent server :/
  2. Jun 10, 2011
    Uhh, are you high? Mumble is 20millionx better than Ventrilo, especially for sound quality and latency
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Apr 2, 2011
      I disagree with Nezumi... While I personally like Mumble and TS3... all three of them do exactly the same damn thing. They sound the same to me, they do the same thing... it is just the UI that is different.
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Feb 9, 2012
        i havent used ventrilo in a long time, but it was definitely easier to figure out how to use than mumble. my attempt to use mumble failed pretty badly when i couldnt even figure out how the channels were done and whether or not i was able to use the mic at all. although mic chat is nice, i just wish they had better chat as well.
      • Jul 28, 2011
        Well my mic was magically fixed, maybe I will have to give mumble a try now and see what this fuss is all aboot.
      • Feb 14, 2012
        I'd be willing to fund said vent server if people are actually serious about the change over. I don't know why we would though. Mumble is fine IMO.
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 27, 2008
          Mumble is much better than any Vent we've ever used. We're not going to ditch it.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jan 21, 2011
            We had vent before. It was terrible. IIRC, we host our mumble ourselves, something you can't do with vent. Also mumble has much lower latency and a much better interface than vent. Vent looks like it was designed for windows 3.1...
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Apr 9, 2007
              We can easily get a free 512slot TS3. Ventrilo Pro you're going to have to hookup for us @Noodles. Their pricing structure of a minimum of 1000 slots looks horrible.
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Okay, I've played in professional online leagues and LAN tournaments all over the east coast before I retired. We always had the best of everything from sponsors that included servers to computer parts to air fare and hotel expenses. Naturally, we wanted the best servers and initially, our primary use was Ventrilo. It worked well and served its purpose. Then this Mumble craze started so we looked into it and had our sponsor set it up on the box. The only real advantage we felt was the transmission latency. It is definitely a few ms and closer to nearly a second quicker than Ventrilo. Now weigh your options... unless you're on comeptitive team that wants to communicate quicker in a hot round in a match that can mean the difference between your call being heard then and after a second, your best bet is to use Ventrilo. Now the problem with my suggestion is that I've only factored in latency (Nezumi, you are wrong in your presumptions). It also comes down to the ease of use of the GUI as well as the options.

Now personally, I use Ventrilo and have my own server. When I played professional, I used Mumble (more like forced to use it out of necessity). The reason I don't like Mumble is due to the fact it relies on AGC, so you can't lower or increase the volume of an individual user, everything is normalized. That alone is enough for me to not use Mumble when I don't have to. Noodles, I understand where you are coming from and share the same sentiments about Mumble...

@Seks I don't care if it was made to look like DOS, it's user friendly and the interface is clean and to the point.
            • Feb 12, 2012
              Yes, I've seen the price for hosting Ventrilo, which is why sites host it.

This is just a suggestion, I've used Vent for years and never had a problem with it. The setup and management side of Ventrilo is a lot easier in my opinion, whereas Teamspeak and Mumble are a little harder to work with user-side.
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jan 2, 2012
                I use and will most likely only use TeamSpeak. I use TS when I go moderate servers on GMOD that I am required to in a clan or when I am "On Duty" since I can be outside the servers and browsing on the internet and can still be contacted by players seeking help in a specific server even if I am in a private channel chilling and relaxing with friends and I personally love TS since it can be very easy to use and to communicate with specific Servers player bases if the server is organized correctly. I also like how easy it is to manage permissions and groups on TS. I am pretty sure you can host a TS directly from a computer instead of wasting money for a dedicated server hosted by a server provider.

I never used Mumble though, therefore I really don't know how it works :razz:
              • Apr 9, 2007
                At the time of this writing, this is never going to happen.

Thanks.
                • Like Like x 4
                • Winner Winner x 1
                Thread Status:
                Not open for further replies.