Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Rising Storm Review

Discussion in Gaming started by Bender Rodriguez, May 24, 2013

1. Jun 11, 2012
    Well since @Pac posted in his comment about Rising Storm I might as well finally post this that I've been holding off for a while. If you know who Tripwire Interactive is and are familiar with Red Orchestra 45, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad then you know about the upcoming Rising Storm game and (maybe) playing the beta as of last week. I've been in the Beta testing before this went public for couple of weeks and I am happy this went public since we went with a server population of 30~50 people to 5000 in couple of hours of the pre-order being available. [This is written with grammatical errors and for that I apologize, I wrote this in a daze and under the influence of a 10hrs youtube vid of Port Town from F-Zero]

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3K8EM11VU

Rising Storm is a standalone game builds on top of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad game that came out last year which uses the Unreal Engine 3 really well. While Heroes of Stalingrad is based on the war on the Eastern Front (hence Heroes Stalingrad, between the push of the German troops and the counter of the Russian Army), Rising Storm takes place in the Pacific Theaters between the US Marine Corps and the Japanese Army. The games takes places on many well-known WW2 battlefront islands such as Iwo Jima, Peleliu, or GuadalCanal...etc where the term Island Hopping came from. I always found Pacific Theater WW2 shooter to be the best when it comes to FPS since there is unknown aspect of difficulty that is met with tense and a survivor aspect. If you want to see gameplay vid, see the youtube vid at the end of this word vomit.

[IMG]

As you can see from the previous image, you are looking at the infamous battle of Iwo Jima where the American shelled the island for a long time and pushed the island against the Japanese counter offensive and defensive weapons. You can see from far the US Navy. Other settings are available such as GuadalCanal where Henderson Fields was and the Battle of Saipan. Each maps and settings can be played with the different modes the games offers such as Territory Conquer or TDM...etc

[IMG]

If you are familiar with Pacific Theaters WW2 based games such as Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault or Medal of Honor Rising Sun (yes they were both released about the same time and yes they are both Medal of Honor but there really isn't that much out there) then this games falls under the same realm but with so much more added to it. By utilizing the Unreal Engine 3, the Rising Storm team was able to render beautiful jungles, colorful water to look at, night sky that that is amazing and beautiful, and of course the players characters are animated and rendered extremely well. The engine runs in ways that is able to calculate on 1 thread but at the same animated and respond on another, thus leaving you with a very smooth heavily high graphical game that doesn't constantly break...and the game is still in beta (This is pointed at Bethesda :wink:). Running in this game is based on your stamina bar where you are able to run fast depending on your stamina bar. When your stamina bar runs out, you will start to slow down and be more exposed. Other aspects are being disoriented when being suppressed and having 3 bandages available to heal yourself if you get shot and it only wounds you.

[IMG]

Rising Storm has 2 factions to play as, either for the US Marine Corps (USMC) or the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) with each their own strengths and weaknesses. Both sides have the same base classes but formed with different weapons:
    -Assault (Automatic weapons, side arm, and grenades)
    -Rifleman (Bolt action weapons or M1 Garand, side arm, and grenades)
    -Sniper (Sniper weapon, side arm, and grenades)
    -Squad Leader (Can either be Rifleman or Assault)
    -Command Leader (Can either be Rifleman or Assault)

[IMG]

Squad Leader and Command leader are able to order artillery strikes and Command Leaders are able to respawn those waiting in the waiting queue since when you die you are respawned in a 15 second interval. Here is where both sides differ. USMC have a class with a flamethrower where once opened on the IJAs can immediately have an effect and kill them in a horrible agonizing pain (as you would be too if someone just burned you alive) where you will hear them scream in their pain. This can be sprayed like a hose on an entire squad of IJAs and they wouldn't be able to counter. The IJA have 2 different capabilities: Knee Mortar and Banzai Charge. Knee mortar is a class only the IJA have where the main weapon is a knee mortar (small mortar about the size of a watermelon) and either be directly pointed at an enemy for a direct hit or can be used as a traditional mortar where you have to adjust for elevation and do an area damage from far. Banzai charge, a favorite among the testers, is where your stamina bar depletes slowly and you are less prone to be affected by suppression fire against the enemy. If, while in a Banzai Charge, you run directly against an enemy you will stab them with your bayonet for an instantaneous kill. This is quite fun since the enemy usual have a slower reaction time because some maniac is running directly at them with, sometimes, a katana sword. If you happen to find a katana sword as a USMC, you can do a Banzai Charge but only while you have that sword and you don't die.

[IMG]

This is a very dark and gritty shooter that focuses on realistic outcomes for everything. From bullet drop for every weapon, non-regenerative health, realistic damage such as dying from 1 bullet if it hits you in a manner where you will die in real life and a whole team oriented gameplay. Also if you play as an IJA, you will hear nothing but Japanese languages from your characters and your teammates characters which are really immersive and captures the WW2 Pacific Theater quite well. An orchestral music plays in the backgrounds which is different for each map which makes the immersion truly complete and enjoyable. It's truly innovative and brings back WW2 shooters to which I love. In the upcoming months more maps will be added (free of course) which will have vehicle base fights that are already in RO2:HOS.

[IMG]

This game is slated to be released in summer 2013 so in the upcoming month or so. It's a standalone game from the RO2 and the cost at the maximum will be 20$. If you own RO2 then the game will be 15% off in steam and if you pre-order RO2 and have the INB4 achievement it's 25% (I got the game for 15$ but would pay 60$ for it). It's a PC only title with SteamWorks thus expects Workshop integration (which currently is set up but not available yet). The game is still in beta but has gotten better to the point where I would call it Gold Release. If you you enjoy WW2 based shooter you will enjoy this and for others, I highly recommend it.

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exAZhChUWH0

I have 2 beta keys to give out and I also have 2 copy of the game to give. Sooooooooooo, if you want a key for the beta please respond in this thread and I will generate a random number depending on your post number (like Post 1, Post 2...blah blah). As for the full copy of the game I shall think of something sooon and will respond in this thread. I might be getting 10 more beta keys, will update this when I do get them. If you do pre-purchase this game you will have instant access to the Beta.

EDIT: RELEASE DATE FOR MAY 30th
    • Like Like x 2
      Benderius, May 24, 2013 Last edited by Bender Rodriguez, May 28, 2013
    • Jul 20, 2010
      Psssh I don't need a number you shall simply hand me a beta so I can kill you :3 or order you around the battle depending on the situation. Looks nice and the 1 shot kills if you aim for areas where it would kill you if shot sounds nice since I always aim for center mass. Wonder if the M1911 side arm has good stopping power and if they will add other WWII weapons like the M1 Carbine is the US Army sniper rifle just an M1 with a scope or the Springfield 1903?

[IMG]

The Type 89 was nasty against the Marines you could just stop fire a round and then retreat and repeat.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Side arms are to be feared, also when you have a side arm your characters has a really cool stance when he's shooting. Snipers have Springfields but a Rifleman can use a M1 Carbine if they want a bolt action type weapon.
    • Jul 20, 2010
      The M1A1 Carbine isn't a bolt action you fool it's a semi-automatic gun hold more rounds than a M1 Garand.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      It's rotating bolt which is what I wanted to say. M1 Garand is also present.
    • Jul 20, 2010
      Can you launch nades with the M1 Garand to mortar the enemy?
    • May 15, 2011
    • Jun 11, 2012
      I don't think so but the game is constantly updating for me so you never know. But for now I would say a definite no.
    • Jul 20, 2010
      They better! That was an amazing feature of the M1 Garand. Game sounds pretty damn cool and I'm always game for some good WWII games. Like back in the old days of Medal of Honor.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      @Badgriuel heres is a unofficial list, well they are all in the game so it's semi-unofficial, weapons from the game.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra_2:_Rising_Storm

If you do get access to this game or you buy it. Do the tutorial, it's not long and will help you. There is some variance on how to play this game
    • Apr 3, 2011
      I'm interested in the Full copy, so remind us whenever you chose something to decide who can get a copy :grin:
      Thanks for that @Bender Brodriguez
    • Jun 11, 2012
      I will choose the Beta Key Giveaway in 22hrs. Sorry that the giveaway isn't well organized, I'm not in a 100% health states.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Well Bad I sent you the second beta invite.
    • Apr 9, 2012
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Since 2 people showed interest for the Beta, I won't do the whole random post number thing. So @Dirtbag and @JorisCeoen you both get a beta key. Contact me on steam or if you don't have me, add me :smile:.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
      • Jan 11, 2012
        RO2 clone with Imperial Army huh, sounds good, written down.

Time to burn them allies. Loved to burn them in CoD 5 but found no servers.
      • May 15, 2011
        Damn, this game is intense. And incredibly noob friendly. I never could get into the ArmA series due to it having some serious knowledge barriers, needing to memorize every key just to play through a single mission. This however, really helps simplify the commands, making it easy to command a squad, which will definitely help people be motivated to actually learn the ins and outs of being a commander.

Although right off the bat you will only get to play Action (fast paced) it wont be long before you are able to play under other game modes, such as Tanks, Realism, etc.

As Bender stated in the OP, RS has great optimization, and can be run with Ultra settings, full FX and AA with even a moderate PC, giving everyone a level playing field in terms of performance.

I definitely recommend getting the game, and really hope to see more people playing together in a team. Here are some gameplay pictures:

01 02 03 04

IMO, the games a lot like ArmA, just more user friendly.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I forgot something actually important.

Some of the maps from RO2:HS are included in RS so even if you don't RO2:HS you can still play it in RS. All it does is that is switches the 2 faction from USAvJapan to GermanvSoviet Union. So you'll, in 1 game, play both games at the same times.

Thanks for the screenshots Dirtbag, I completly forgot about this.
      • Feb 23, 2013