Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Roll your Skyrim adventure!

Discussion in Gaming started by Taters, Oct 25, 2012

1. Mar 12, 2008
    This game might have lost it's luster over the time it's been out, but the best thing about this type of game is you can be anyone you want to be. Whether you want to have a thief character who steals everything and pickpockets for a living, or a Champion of the people who helps free prisoners and always lends a hand to those that need it, or even the Wild Card, doing as you please, at any time.

I've ran into this problem many times myself and i thought of ways that could make this really interesting. This is what i came up with:

You may roll a pair of dice, or if you happen to have one 10 sided die you may use that. You may also use the website listed below. (Armor/clothing choice is completely up to you. You may wear whatever you please, but know that it probably won't be very beneficial to you if you get certain rolls.)

http://www.random.org/

Roll in this order:

• Race
    Roll 1-10 (Re-rolls allowed:1)

The numbers are defined as follows on this page(http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Races)

1 would be Altmer, 2 would be Argonian, etc. You may customize your character however you like. Gender is up to you.

• Fighting Style
    Roll 1-4 (Re-rolls allowed:1)

This is defined by Melee,Bow and Arrow ranged, Magic, or Spellsword. 1 for Melee, 2 for B&A ranged, 3 for Magic, 4 for spellsword (using spells in your right/left hand and using 1 handed sword/mace/axe in the other). For Bow and Arrow ranged, you may use melee if attackers get close, but your primary form of damage is with a bow.

(HARDMODE: If you roll Magic/B&A ranged, you are not allowed to utilize melee or a physical shield. If you are magic/spellsword, you have wards/mage armor. If you are Ranged, you better stun and run. You can get around this through careful use of paralysis poisons, or slowing poisons. For Melee, dual wield.)

• Skills
    roll 6 times, 1-18. (Re-rolls allowed:2) If you get the same number twice, roll again. Use this sheet to determine skills. Count the first column FIRST, then the second, and then the third. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skills

These will be your primary skills that you must max out before committing to level others. I know that you might accidentally level something through reading a skill book or as a reward for a quest, etc... but these are your primary focuses. You are not allowed to utilize a skill trainer for any skill that isn't your primary. If you didn't get Alchemy as a main skill, See the Additional Modifiers section (NOTE: If your Fighting Style is melee, and you rolled archery or a magic skill, roll until you get something different. Same goes with ranged and magic.)

• Disposition
    Roll 1-6 TWO times.(Re-rolls allowed:1)

If it adds to OVER 8, you are EVIL. At any point during the game, if you have a chance to lie or cheat someone, steal something, or backstab someone you should do it. Anyone, and everyone is your enemy. You look out only for yourself. You may bribe, intimidate, or persuade.

If it adds to UNDER 8, you are GOOD. If you see someone being robbed, or see prisoners with Thalmor/Imperials/Stormcloaks, you are compelled to help/free them. Highway robbers are an exception. If you can't persuade them to leave you alone, you are free to kill them. Bandits too. You Don't steal anything unnecessary or non-quest related. You tell the truth, when asked about something. You are not allowed to bribe. You may Intimidate, and you may persuade ONLY when is is quest-related.

If you get a perfect roll of 12, or land on exactly 8, then you may go about as you please. This is pretty unlikely, but i'm not there to tell you otherwise. It's much more fun however, when you stick with your roll.

• Faction
    Roll 1-4, 7 times. The most rolled number out of those 7 times is your faction that you MUST under ANY circumstance, follow. An exception is when you are learning your shouts at High Hrothgar, You are allowed to train with them until they say they are finished training with you for good. This is the main rule you are NOT allowed to deviate from. Once your faction is picked you CANNOT help/change factions. Any choices you have to make later on must benefit your faction regardless of other options. At this point, if you are on the GOOD disposition, for example, If you sided with Stormcloaks, you have to stop freeing Imperial prisoners and vice-versa. If you are sided with The Blades, or The Greybeards, you still have to help the prisoners.

1 is The Legion, 2 is The Stormcloaks, 3 is The Greybeards (Way of the voice), 4 is The Blades.

• Additional Modifiers: Utilize these for more of a challenge.
    I left these til the very end, only because these don't work for rolls.

Slapped in irons: If you are unfortunate enough to get caught, you must serve jail time. Unfortunate as it may be. You may dodge this if you use the "I'm the thane" excuse. Bribing not allowed.

No fast Travel: This is seen as Teleportation, something that only Daedric princes can do at the moment, so you must travel by horse, or town to town by carriage.

Sleep and Eat: (This also applies if you didn't get alchemy as a main skill) In order to heal, your character should buy/find/hunt food, eat raw produce, or food that it prepares through a cooking pot, which means you have to go buy ingredients and find a cooking pot if you want to get the most healing out of it. If you have the EVIL disposition, you may steal these, or even steal food. GOOD disposition isn't allowed to do that. In addition, you are NOT allowed to wait. Waiting for days on end with no sleep would kill a normal person, even the Dovahkiin. If you need to pass time, rent a bed or sleep in one. Waiting = Enemy.

Companions/Hired help: You may use these as you please.

• NOTES:This is meant to be played as near-vanilla as possible. I'm only talking weapon/armor/NPC/content mods. You can have as many graphic enhancing mods as you please I might have left some stuff out, but if it's mentioned, i can work it into this, in hopefully a fun manner. This is what i threw together in an hour.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
      Taters, Oct 25, 2012 Last edited by Taters, Oct 25, 2012
    • Jul 8, 2012
      This game has lost a little bit of draw from me, but this seems like a good idea. I will definitely try this. It kind of relates to the people who do it for League. I forget the website that's fairly popular for randomizing items/builds.
    • Jun 18, 2012
      Sounds like a lot of fun playing different from your ordianry style, but ... do you wanna play through a 100+ hour game with settings you might not like at all?

Guess you'll grow into it, eventually like it and broaden your horizons and get a more skilled player in the genre you rolled.

FUUU ... I just answered my own question. -.-
    • Apr 9, 2012
      ze_skyrim is better than the game! :kiss:
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
      • Feb 14, 2012
      • Apr 1, 2012
      • Jul 8, 2012

Yeah Skyrim> ze_skyrim
      • Apr 9, 2012
        I'm aware of your unprofessional behaviour on one of the tests on ze_Skyrim and as such I would have not expected anyone but you to answer this.
        • Zing! Zing! x 5
        • Feb 14, 2012
          Not sure where this came from but get your facts straight.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
        • Feb 12, 2012
          Comparing a game that was made by a company that has thousands of employees to a map that was made on an engine that is very limited.
          [IMG]
          • Like Like x 1
          • Kim
            This message by Kim has been removed from public view. Deleted by Peter, Oct 25, 2012, Reason: STupid.
            Oct 25, 2012
          • Feb 14, 2012

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
          • Dec 6, 2011

@Taters this is really cool. I'm just about finished with my current Skyrim character and I know I definitely will be doing another playthrough. What's funny is that I actually downloaded a mod to where you start off in a random location with a random back-story (very in-depth) every time you restart a new game, making sure every new game is unique ( over 255+ starting locations and dozens of background stories that all tie back into the main story). The mod will go hand in hand perfectly with this idea, I'm actually quite excited to get started on my new playthrough.

For reference, the mod is called: "Random Alternate Start" in the Steam workshop.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Jul 8, 2012
              I'll have to give that mod a try. Sounds like it could be fun paired with this idea.
            • Mar 12, 2008
              Hey, fuckers. lets keep this on topic. This isn't no count.

tl;dr just do it. I made it easymode if you want to use the re-rolls, but you don't have to use them.

This is about challenging yourself. Normally you would get your character, make it as powerful as possible and just stomp on everything. Where's the fun in that. Consider this: Put yourself in the bandit's shoes, or the mage's shoes. They usually don't have spells (Bandits) and they are stuck trying to run at you while you blow them apart with magic. Mages usually miss a lot with their spells if you dodge properly, so being their only form of damage, it's pretty ineffective if you counter it with ranged bows.

Have you ever taken a more economic approach to a character, and tried levelling speech/smithing and gaining as much gold as possible before levelling up? You never need to buy gear, and when it comes to the point you need money for a place, you can buy it straight up.

Have you tried playing a bona-fide thief, hiding in shadows and stealing from the rich? Your neighbor is also your cash cow. You pawn their valuables for your benefit. You are the enemy of the law.

All of these are different approaches to the game instead of having a powerful character, you have a set of rules that you want to play by.

This list was inspired by one person who started a character that was an Alteration mage. He was ONLY allowed to use alteration magic. No melee, no ranged, no destruction magic, ONLY Alteration, and was not allowed to use fast travel to get around. I can't find the article, but it might have been on reddit.
              Taters, Oct 25, 2012 Last edited by Taters, Oct 25, 2012
            • Mar 12, 2008
              I did my rolls, and this is what i came up with

Race: orc
              Fighting Style: melee
              Skills: 1 handed, heavy armor, alchemy, pickpocket, alteration, enchanting
              Dispo: Evil
              Faction: The Greybeards

No Fast Travel, Sleep and Eat.

This may not end well.
            • Nov 6, 2011
              hmmmmm to much to read but it looks like some interesting stuff from glancing through it :smile:
            • Dec 6, 2011
              lol ouch. I'll let you know what I get when I restart in a few days.

I'm always doing archery in every game, so this'll force me to try something new.
            • Jul 7, 2013
              This seems awesome, and I already have my race and class (Argonian Mage), but I'm confused as to how you roll up your skills.
            • Mar 12, 2008
              There are 18 total skills, so in essence you would only be able to level 1/3 of them, or 6 total skills as primary skills. Any other skills are not allowed to be levelled untill you max the first 6. Using the random.org random number generator, you would roll a range of 18 numbers. each number corresponds to a skill on the web page provided. I worded it so if you are a sword fighter, you wouldn't have to train bow damage/etc and vice-versa if you rolled them. I can put up examples later today as a guideline. Skill books, however cannot be avoided sometimes, or you will have quests that level up "secondary" skills and these are fine. You just can't manually put points into skills that you didn't roll. It's all about challenge.

• Jul 7, 2013
              Examples might help, thank you.