Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Samsung Galaxy Gear

Discussion in Android started by rxn, Nov 19, 2013

1. Aug 2, 2010
    So, after a few days of playing with this thing, here's my rxn to it:

Convenience is definitely there. I can check messages, make and accept phone calls, check my calendar, and take pictures without ever taking my phone out of my pocket. People say you have to charge it everyday. I charge mine every 3. It also auto unlocks my phone when the watch is near. The phone goes back to the default lock setting when the watch is not present in close proximity. Definitely handy when I'm driving and I need to check a message.

The bad: App support is definitely weak because of how long it's been on the market. The 3rd party apps don't work properly. Can't check my email directly on the watch. It does automatically open the email for me to read when I want though so that's nice.

The best part about this thing? @Zenzr doesn't have one.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I didn't actually think this would be a big hit. Seems like watches would be out of touch already.

How much did you get it for?
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    Unfortunately only for Note 3 and 10.3. And future support for at least S3 and higher.
  4. Jul 8, 2012

But no, I see lots of dev possibilities once a bit more time goes on. Last I checked they were $300 which kind of sucks, but a bit cheaper and I would be all over it.
  5. Aug 2, 2010
    Wrong. The S4 works with the Gear thanks to its update. <3

I got it for the full MSRP of 3 large. It was there, I figured why the hell not. Reminds me of my Casio calculator watch. So futuristic.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dec 6, 2011
      What would you say are the advantages/pros of having it? Honestly, it seems more inconvenient than just whipping out your phone.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      You can say you have one? @rxn doesn't....

But no. Not sure. At least not yet anyway.
    • Aug 2, 2010
      When my phone is in my pocket and I'm rocketing along at 80+ mph, whipping my phone out isn't a very good option.

Pros: I can check my call log, dial/receive calls, use S-Voice to send texts, take pictures of women's panties (upskirt that shit yo), check notifications, scroll through my contacts list, change music tracks, pedometer, make voice memos, find my device if I misplace it somewhere in my house, check my schedule, and check the weather, all without having to take my phone out.

Cons: App support is very very limited at this time because of how long it's been on the market. Apps are starting to come out so it should be a better tool for one to have in the near future. Think of the smartphone back when it first came out.
    • Jul 1, 2010
      I was a bit skeptical about it as well but it seems like a neat little device with a lot of convenience.. I was also surprised that the first ROM came out for it relatively quickly.
    • Aug 2, 2010
      It is extremely convenient. I personally LOVE the auto unlock feature. Gear is close enough? Hell that means you own the phone so no lock is needed. 10 feet away? Bitch, I'm locking you out.
    • Feb 8, 2014
      Not to Necro a thread, but @rxn do you still have you Gear? I just bought a Note 3 (N900p -- Sprint edition) + Gear for $300 today. So far I've been too sick to really test the thing outside of putting it on and pairing it with my phone, and a few voice text messages.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Aug 2, 2010
      • Feb 8, 2014
        Do you have any complaints or any cool tips you can give? So far I'm liking it as just a watch with a camera. The popups for notifications are nice, though S Voice is 80% as far as texting goes.