Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Scientists create a material that can stare into the depths of your soul

Discussion in In The News started by RedM00N, Jul 14, 2014

1. Jan 30, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Imagine the amount of people thinking they are alone....then fapping furiously in the streets
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • May 15, 2011

I hope this alien material makes cartoon physics the only physics.
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Apr 1, 2012
        • May 31, 2012
          I wonder what would happen if you put that as wall paper in a room and turn on a single light bulb. You would see the light bulb but would the room appear to light up? It would be a counter-intuitive and confusing feeling. Awesome!

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQR1r1KTjaE
          • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
          • Aug 7, 2012
            You'd probably accidentally the universe.
          • Nov 29, 2012
          • Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
          • May 31, 2012
            So, it looks like this is on Yahoo news, which is a super (un)reliable news source besides gossip and celebrities; however, this linked me to an interesting video and I recommend looking into it if you are interested in science and engineering.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQN7LxBqm0

I'm ashamed to say this... but I didn't know how close Goddard was to Washington DC, lol. Anyhoo... I did some research in this area and performed growths using a very similar method called Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PECVD); PECVD does not require a catalyst and can be done in lower temperatures compared to other CVDs to grow graphene. Graphene is a magical material that is pretty much the same thing as these Carbon Nanotubes (CNT), where CNTs are considered a "rolled up" version of a graphene sheet. There are many publications on this information.

@Secprotocol I remembered telling you that I wanted to show you what that reactor looks like when it is on, because seeing it off is so boring:

If you guys are wondering what a Scanning Electronic Microscope (SEM) might look like, here you go:

I couldn't take you or Aprz into that room because the lab you have to pass through is dangerous :struggle: (those are images of nanowires).

Believe it or not, outside of this "black" stuff, CNTs and graphene have a lot of other awesome applications you may have heard of or might be hearing about in the future... Any Harry Potter fans here? (Don't be fooled: They can only make a small amount unlike the pictures shown on the website.) This material isn't very new, and I have seen research papers that were published before the 90s. I did some past research in characterizing graphene based on new growth parameters; I'm using my old samples with some other stuff to make possible supercapacitors. During this Summer, I am also working with another CVD method called Vapor-Solid (Some of you ChemE or Mater. Sci. people might be familiar with VLS except this is also without the liquid catalyst) to develop some piezoelectric nanowires.

I have a super-passion for nanotechnology, and to use these materials for electrical applications. I'm not majoring in Materials Science because a lot of the research alone is kind of boring, but the applications and development is super interesting; Nanotechnology is too specific and I'd be pissed if they came out with pico- or fempto- engineering in the near future.

Just some fun facts since some of you seem to have interest.

If you wear this black, you would appear 2-dimensional (besides your shadow).

[IMG]
            • Like Like x 2
            • Winner Winner x 1
              Joshy, Jul 15, 2014 Last edited by Joshy, Jul 15, 2014
            • Feb 25, 2014
            • Dec 30, 2006
              Leaking government property! I have no idea what you're talking about.
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Oct 24, 2013
                Science didn't do shit, all I did was piss on some foil.
              • Jul 20, 2012