Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

"Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice"

Discussion in In The News started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Oct 20, 2012

1. Feb 27, 2012
    Wow, just shows how fucked up the world of medicine really is.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    It seems this has been around for at least a year, and similar methods as far back as 2007, why is this only surfacing now? =\

I'm not surprised that the reason is completely because of the money...
  4. May 14, 2011
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Heard about people getting close in the past aswell, and neither am I surprised it's all about the money. I agree it completely sucks, I guess we can only HOPE for research to go on, and discover more stuff like this and eventually make it worth helping people with the knowledge.

(btw another example about the money: in the Netherlands are like 500 people with some very rare diseaze, which takes a couple of thousand euro's a year, a person. The government actually brought up not supporting their health care any more cuase it is SO COSTLY.) How many is a humans life worth? Average income.
  6. May 14, 2012
    I don't understand why people are so money hungry especially super rich companies.
  7. Jan 12, 2011
    "Treatments are more profitable than cures."
    Not sure where I heard that quote, but yeah, unfortunately it's true. Some truly profound scientific discoveries are overlooked because they either won't pull as many investors as businesses like or they "aren't practical." It's basically polite shorthand instead of saying it won't make the businesses enough money. :frown:
    Vadleon, Oct 20, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Oct 20, 2012
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    When you're exposed to the ultimate power and wealth, there's never enough to satisfy you, you keep wanting more and more. Going through this, people tend to turn selfish and not care about the well-being of others.
  9. May 14, 2011
    The reason rich people are rich is because they take profitable decisions.

In any case, I wonder why small startup companies didn't roll this out. The product is there to sell. It would have had an impact. Doctors could have then gone, "You know X and X have this new drug that can help you". I don't think the doctor would lose out and neither would the company producing it.

I can only imagine it costs a fortune to get these drugs tested especially for long term effects.
  10. Feb 21, 2007
    Before this gets out of hand, keep in mind this is one biased view article.

There will never be a one-thing-cures-all-types-of-cancer drug in our lifetime. Tumors are simply too variable and too many types exist.

With that being said, this article is woefully inaccurate. Mitochondria are not cells, as the article suggests, but rather they are "organs" if you will, of all human cells. They are small, and simply one (usually numerous mitochondria per cell) part of the cell. The nickname for these cellular organs is "the powerhouse" because they do produce ATP which is energy needed for basic cellular function.

Anyways, a quick google search brings up wikipedia (yes, a very accurate and reliable research resource), in which they mention the study quoted in the OP was a small research study (not a clinical trial). They state two human clinical trials, one involving 5 people, and another one involving 50 people, each of these studies (according to wiki, keep in mind) show less than promising results. Its actual efficacy is yet to be seen in humans and cancer.

And contrary to what the article stated (again, in wiki) the compound has actually be patented (or at least filed for a patent as a cancer drug), which to my understanding, means drug companies would make some money off it. Plus keep in mind, before drugs can just be "given" to humans, as least in America, they must go thru years of research to prove their effectiveness and safety and side effects, then the companies present this to the FDA, where they often do more, larger studies on the drug. The whole process can take 20 years or more before they drug becomes widely available to the public (there is a "fasttrack" way around this but it is much less common). This lengthy process can cost quite a bit when its all said and done, thus why drugs can sometimes (ex:HIV drugs) become ridiculously expensive.

After reviewing the highly credible source, wikipedia, I decided to conclude my research into this.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Apr 1, 2012