Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Secondary Monitor Issue

Discussion in Technical Support started by zenzr, Jan 17, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Okay so I'm not really sure how to explain it, though I think it is a driver issue that happened when I installed Windows 8 on my laptop and I am unable to find what caused it.

So I have a 17 inch laptop and a 24 inch LED tv that I use as a monitor. When I had Windows 7 there was no about 1/2 inch black border around it that there is now. But when I installed Windows 8 and plugged in my TV I noticed it right away. I have talked with my boss and he thinks it's a driver issue, but I have no idea as to how (if possible) to go about fixing it. Any kind of help or suggestions are welcome please, and let me know If further information would be helpful.

Thank you for your help.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    black border... sounds like some scaling issue. Look in your video cp for scaling options and see if anything in there fixes it. You can also look into creating custom resolutions which might also do the trick.

If you're ATI, in CCC you can find these options under 'My digital flat-panels' -> 'Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)'. You might check 'my digital flat-panels' -> 'properties' as well and enable gpu scaling if the previous options don't work. For custom resolutions, 'my digital flat-panels' -> 'HDTV Support (Digital Flat-Panel)'.

If you still can't solve it, there's always google + "black border around screen".
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jul 8, 2012
      You sir are a genius. I found out for whatever reason I didn't have CCC installed, so I downloaded it from here http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/amd_catalyst_12_8_whql_64_bit,1.html and then went My Digital Flat-Panel and then Scaling Options and found out it was under scaled for whatever reason. I fixed it back to 0% and it is perfect. Thank you Brian this has been annoying me for the better part of 2 months.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jun 4, 2006
        2 months, good lord... and for a fix that takes less than 5 mins lol. At least you'll likely remember this next time you format / change OS's. Glad that was the solution.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Yeah I feel like a complete idiot right now lol. Oh well.