Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Seekers Creations thread

Discussion in Creativity started by Seeker, Dec 11, 2013

1. Jan 21, 2011
    Well I figured I'd post a thread about the little projects I work on from time to time to share some cool stuff with you guys. For those of you who don't know me all too well, I'm a senior Electrical Engineering major in school, but I also do just about anything else manual labor related you can think of. I grew up rebuilding a car with my dad and have worked for him as an electrician for summers for the past few years. While working for him, I did carpentry, plumbing, painting, and of course some electrical work. I have a very broad background in making things and greatly enjoy doing it.

Automated Light Show
    I got the idea when I saw some low voltage controlled relay modules for Arduino microcontrollers which I frequently use. Basically it can generate a light show for any song input based on the song itself. While not as intricate as most light shows are, its infinitely adaptable so it makes up for it. The LEDs are representative of strands of christmas lights, I just don't have the money to finish it completely at the moment.
    • Like x 9
    • Artistic x 5
    • Wizard! x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • May 31, 2012
      Fun! I am a big fan of the Arduino microcontrollers because they are so useful for little projects :smile:; it looks like you're off to a great start on yours.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Oct 29, 2010
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Mar 26, 2011
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mar 12, 2008
          • Feb 3, 2012
          • Jul 1, 2010
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Mar 12, 2008
              Speak for yourself. I, for one, can't wait for Skynet: Rave Edition
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jan 21, 2011
                • Like Like x 1
                • Mar 26, 2011
                • Jun 11, 2012
                  oooOOOHHHHHHH Funky lights with that Arduino. That little thing is so versatile in things it can do. I wonder, and I think it does, if it has a DSP stack on it. Maybe code up some sound processing thingy or library that does this. If it does, I can see some crazy stuff that can be done. Off the processing to the board and let the circuit just on/off the led.

Possibility to add variable light colours? You can always use your engineering labs to acquire what your heart desire for free...At least that's how it worked for us
                • Jan 21, 2011
                  I have an 8 channel relay board that will work with the arduino and switch 120v stuff which I plan on implementing when I get the money. The plan is to have 6 LEDs replaced by strands of christmas lights and 2 replaced with strobe lights. The strobe lights will come on when the bass hits and the christmas lights will come on for the other bands.
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Jan 21, 2011
                    I revisited this thread and re-read this response with new knowledge of microcontrollers. Have you heard of the Teensy microcontrollers? You program them with the arduino IDE so its super easy to program them. The newest one (3.1) has a D to A converter onboard so you can do actual audio processing with it and not have to do PWM output.
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Nov 20, 2013
                      @Seeker is very cool seeker good job:cool:
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Jun 11, 2012
                        I never heard of it up until your post. Looked it up and got interested on how easy it is to use with a breadboard. Yeah DAC are always nice to have for something like this. I used the AD on the arduino for my graduating project for servo motor control (it's more complex than just that since there was a beagleboard with linux running on a another module), if I can track the pics, I'll post some stuff. Also this looked cool to try and play with all for 20$!!

[IMG]
                      • Apr 24, 2012
                        Nice work :thumbsup: would be cool in the dark with color changing.
                      • May 31, 2012
                      • Oct 24, 2013
                        This is pretty sick im starting a class in circuits now to get my a+. Then start my bio career again. Im learning multisim right now.
                      • Sep 9, 2012
                      • Jan 21, 2011
                        My dad and I got his elevator running today. It uses a 3 phase motor controlled by a Plc and VFD which I programmed.
                        • Programming King Programming King x 2
                        • Wizard! Wizard! x 1