Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Seeking assistance on a new PC (Hello Brett)

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Conker, Apr 17, 2013

1. Mar 31, 2010
    Anyways, I'm looking for a kick-ass rig to be able to work properly with Video Editing (Adobe Premiere + After-Effects), Image Editing (lots of BIG sized files for Photoshop) and Gaming (I'm talking, I want to MAX out my graphics on Battlefield 4 when out).

My budget is less than 1500-2000. I know this may sound like a stretch, but I know @Brett is very good with these and I thought why not come ask here. I know you've told me on Steam before, but I forgot to save the list, and I want to make sure you see this and post it all on here!!!

Anyways, much thanks in advance to whoever can help me with a kick-ass computer!

(If you can make me 3 different lists to choose from: one for 1000, one for 1500, and one for 2000 -- that would be very much appreciated!)

ALSO,

I want a dual (or trio) monitor. Right now I have an ASUS VE276q, but that seems to be discontinued. It's an LCD, and there's another product almost identical it seems from ASUS, the VE278q, but that's an LED. Will it work if I simply buy the extra LED? Or do I absolutely need two monitors that are the exact same?
    Conker, Apr 17, 2013 Last edited by Conker, Apr 17, 2013
  2. Apr 9, 2012
    Then, as opposed to an i5 gaming rig, I would certainly go for i7 cores. Brett should help from here on as I only know that for video editting (which I'm doing for over 3 years already), image editting and all the pletora of stuff other than gaming at a serious level requires a decent i7.
  3. Jun 11, 2012
    Hey @Brett can you be a dear and spam this post with your PC building info. Also you "don't" need exact monitor technology unless you're matching crt with led, then you're looking for a headache. I have the Asus LED monitors and they are wonderful to look at it, but you need to find the exact settings/color/brightness that suits you. But once you do, they are beautiful
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    While it isn't absolutely necessary, its highly recommenced IMO to have each monitor be the same, due to slight performance/looks differences. Can't say for certain whether LCD's and LED perform noticeably differently side by side, as I have yet to see them in such a setup together. However, different monitors tend to look different(think of walking down the TV isle at an electronics store), so you usually have to have the screen settings changed to match the rest, which can be quite a tedious process (speaking from experience since i have a setup with 3 different screens).

As for a CPU, I'd go with an i7 for both gaming and image/video editing.
    If your willing to spend a little bit extra for some more power, grab the 3930k, and a decent liquid cooling system for it too, in case you want to OC it down the road.

However, keep in mind that Intel will be releasing new cpu's in the next few months, so I'd recommend holding off on getting the cpu, if you can, until the new line releases, as they will be slightly better than the current ones, for roughly the same price.
  5. May 14, 2011

BASE HARDWARE

MSI Z77 MPower Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130660 - $200 - $200
    i7 3770k CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501 - $330 - $530
    Corsair HX 750W PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 - $120 - $650
    G.Skill Ripjaw X 2*8= 16GB Kit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568 - $120 - $770 <-- Kinda meh about this one but all 16GB kits are in that price range.
    Corsair H100i - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032 - $110 - $900

CASE

Pick any Mid/Full tower case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006304&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20&cm_sp=CompCase9-_-VisNav-_-ATXFullTower]Link[/url] - $150 - $1050

STORAGE

You can expect $50/TB on Hard Drives.
    You can expect $1/GB on SSDs. There are simply no better or worse SSDs as long as thier from a wellr egarded comapny. Don't let anyone fool you.
    You can grab a cheap Optical Disk Drive (ODD)

GRAPHICS CARD

Go for the 7970/7950 depending on how much you want to streach your budget. A 7970 overclocked is about enough to run BF3 at 60-80FPS on maxed out settings. If you want to spend a bit more you can buy two and crossfire. In BF3 it scales very well.
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    Already discussed all this with @Conker and he already generally knows what to buy/when but I'll just put this out there.

Don't see the need to spend an extra $70 for the same motherboard. An ASRock Z77 Extreme4 runs just the same.

Better to wait for Haswell CPUs and Z87 motherboards that release in June. The 4770k and ASRock Z87 Extreme4 will most likely run the same price.

For a high quality rig, you want a top notch PSU. Sadly, the HX series from Corsair isn't that great, being that this series was made by Channel Well, who makes most of the mainstream, cheaper PSUs (PSU companies just rebrand PSUs from a handful of main companies). Although, the Corsair AX and AXi series was made by Seasonic (AX650/750/850) and Flextronics (AX1200, AX760i/860i/1200i), so I'd go with one of those for sure. Also, for a bigger rig, the AX series is going to offer FULL modular support, meaning you choose which cables go on, including the main ones (which means no more extra SATA power cable BS clogging your system and blocking airflow).

RAM is RAM, basically find something that matches your system if you're going for style points, and make sure there's some type of heatsink on them.

A closed-loop watercooling CPU cooler will depend on the case, so he may have to go to H80, but H100 or H100i are fine nonetheless.

I'll help you pick a case Conker, some are very shitty in terms of airflow.

HDDs usually run to about $70-$80 atm.

This is what really gets me, SSDs are not the same. There's 1 or 2 that are currently the best out there, with rock solid performance for a good price.

Crucial M4 256GB
    Capture

And the Corsair Force Series GS 240GB
    Capture2

I'm seeing a pretty big damn difference for the same price.

For GPUs, if you can just wait until Q4 for the AMD 8970 to release, because it's going to be a big upgrade to the 7970. If not, crossfire two 7970s and watch the beast fly. Should be able to pick some up cards for $750-$800. Two MSI Twin Frozr OC cards will run about $400 each, or the HIS IceQ X^2 can be a little less at around $380 each.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Don't have time to discuss other things but I wanted to point out that although there are spec differences in SSDs they are synthetic benchmarks. You would NOT be able to tell the difference between the two SSDs you put there. That meaning that if I built a computer and did a test with you playing around with the PC and in a test told you to tell me which drive was faster. (Without using a timer)
    • Dec 6, 2011
      In terms of small files and booting up, of course the differences are miniscule. But overall, in larger processes such as running resource heavy, high-res texture games, there's going to be a difference. Benchmarking my Crucial M4/Agility 3 SSDs against my Plextor M3 and Corsair Force series GS, there was a pretty big gap in the speed differences, and the Crucial M4's "sustained read speeds" did NOT "sustain". There were dips in performance, and usually ran at least 100MB/s slower. Also, some SSDs such as the newer Corsair Force GS series maintain their high speeds, even when nearing full capacity, while the Crucial M4 slows up more and more the fuller it gets (noticeable changes start around 20% left). So all in all, generally SSDs stay the same performance wise, but some are still better than others, while there's also those that crap out constantly (like the damn OCZ SSDs and some older Corsairs).
    • May 14, 2011
      You say 100mb/s slower. This depends a LOT on the file size of the file. In-game most textures will be hovering around the 1mb and anyway, most textures are loaded up onto the ram (vram) iirc.

+ I wasn't talking about older gen drives.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Conker does not know that a Crucial M4 is 2 years old, and that a Corsair Force Series GS is only a couple months old. And the SSD still has to read and go through all of those game files to send them to the GPU to process, which makes a huge difference when the varying speed is 100MB/s+.
    • May 14, 2011

- Huge difference in what? Loading times will maybe go up by < half a second per loading screen if thats what you mean. In-game its all on the vram anyways so frames won't be affected.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Actually SSDs do play a big part in FPS, especially in a game like CS:S. I think quite a few people here have experienced the boost (can't remember who). And for loading times, the difference does really add up (depending on how large the game is). I assume GTA IV would make a HUGE difference in loading times as well as FPS to load the godawfully large map areas (even more if you mod with HD textures, the game really craps out if you don't have the top-of-the-line hardware).

@Conker are the monitors included in the price? Because if they are, that may be hard if we're not doing cheaper 24'' 1080p monitors.
    • May 14, 2011
      I'm not an expert in gaming but I am doubtful. :/

Just did a quick google an turns out I was right. Although cs:s is an old game so maybe. But in BF4 I am sure everything is loaded onto the vram.

And no let me do a quick calculation. Lets say your SSD can work at its max speed and needs to copy 1GB of data to the VRAM during the loading screen. Assumeing the vram is not a bottleneck.

550mb/s = 1.86 secs
      500mb/s = 2.05 secs
      450mb/s = 2.28 secs

So like I said; <0.5 secs, that's being hopeful as these are very small files so its more about consecutive read speeds. and realistically you are looking at far more data.

Anyways until the very recent css update the bottleneck in css loading time was the compressed files in the vpk which caused the massive lag spike before "sending client data". <-- (I may have derped here!)
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Loading doesn't work that black and white lol...

Anyways, not going to derail this. Going to keep this open for a reply from Conker, but not sure why, since I was already helping him in private.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mar 31, 2010
        Alright, I read up reviews about the new Intel Haswell cpus being not much of an upgrade.

Do you think I should wait for these to come out anyway? Also, here are the things I already have and won't want to upgrade unless necessary:

Tower: - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
        PSU: - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High
        GPU: - 1 x SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
        SSD: - 1 x Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Okie, I know the video card needs to be updated, but I can wait till December for this. Otherwise, I know y'all talking about AX and HX series from Corsair, but is the TX that bad? What kind of difference will I see if I shell out another 200 dollars for an AX850? It's modular, so there's that, sure. But is it really worth spending 200 extra dollars? What do you both think? @Ghost @Brett

Much thanks in advance! :smile:
      • May 14, 2011
        • Case is perfectly fine. In fact its a really good case.
        • PSU is fine, didn't know you have one.
        • GPU is very power hungry. However if you don't mind waiting I recommend you do, 8xxx and 7xx series are coming out around Christmas time.
        • SSD is perfectly fine unless you want to upgrade for more fast storage or you want to have 1 second faster loading time (discussion above).
      • Aug 2, 2010
        ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - $430
        ASUS ROG ARES II - $1,000

You don't need all the other crap. Just put those 3 items on our desk and feel your epeen grow... massively.
      • May 14, 2011
      • Mar 31, 2010
        Well, if we go by statistics, the Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB-DX is even faster than the Corsair Force Series GS 240GB, lol!

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 120GB SSD:
        • Capacity: 120GB
        • Dimensions: 100.2 x 70.0 x 9.3mm
        • Temp. Range: 0-70°C
        • Read Speed: up to 560MB/sec
        • Write Speed: up to 515MB/sec
        • Shock Tolerance: 1500G
        • Vibration: 20G Peak, 10-2kHz, 3 axis
        • MTBF: 2 million hours
        • Controller: SF-2281
        • Interface Type: SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s)
        • Warranty: 3 years limited
        • IOPS: 90,000 (4K random write, 4K aligned)
      • May 14, 2011
        Sandforce controller is outdated. Don't know enough about it to discuss but new controllers are better for reasons.