Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Server Illegal Word Filter

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Noodles, Apr 5, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    Some servers have policies for swearing, and have a filter. Whenever a player uses an illegal word (i.e. racism), it responds with a message "STRONG LANGUAGE IS NOT ALLOWED!" These messages and words are all changable.

I suggest that we have this for our servers, and block out common racial slurs. This will let players know about our rules against that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
    • Apr 9, 2007
      There is a fine line between being racism and ignorance. I don't think were arrogant enough to do this. This would be easy to implement, though.
    • Apr 2, 2011
      I see a chink in your armor is not.
      So lets say you have the word "Ch***" as one of the words listed for warning...
      and someone says "I see a chink in your armor."... he now gets a warning... for something that is clearly not racist?

unless you could account for every possible context and sentence a word is used in... seems like a waste of space to me...
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Feb 9, 2012
        If anything, the N word should be filtered. and let's be honest, who ever really uses ''chink'' anymore other than the racial slur. But of course not every word should be filtered, just ones that have no other contextual meaning.
        • Agree Agree x 3
        • Jan 8, 2012
          How about you just don't worry about context, and avoid using common racial slurs, or swear words in a sentence regardless, and people shouldn't have a problem. Eventually people will get the hang of it, especially if their regulars, and then it will be easy. Plus banning/warning people for written cuss words gets really annoying after awhile. Only problem is people can still talk it over the mic so you can't completely ignore it, if the plug-in was implemented that is.
        • Feb 12, 2012
          I'm pretty sure nobody ever uses that term like that, especially in a FPS game :/

Blocking basic words would decrease a lot of newcomer slip-ups. This may not block all racial slurs, or words that can be related to racism, but it does take a workload off of admins. Personally, I like to play on maps, not scout the chat for people shooting off slurs. This is just a simple suggestion that doesn't really have a Con for, and a small-sized Pro to it that can be easily implemented.
        • Apr 2, 2011
          Honestly, I still find it a waste... HOW HARD IS IT to see/hear a racist word, decide context (if context applies) and apply appropriate action... I mean really, are we that lazy?
        • Oct 29, 2010
          I hate the mindset that because people are trying to make things easier that automatically means they are being lazy.
          • Like Like x 1
          • May 15, 2011
            I like this idea and I've seen the plugin at work. Although it's a pain in the ass when you accidentally type something you're not suppose to and you get banned and you have to ask to be unbanned but it was an accident. D:

It's bullshit. But a useful plugin.
          • Oct 29, 2010
            I definitely don't like the idea of an auto banning plug-in, that sounds dangerous.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Nope. I'd say it should be an auto-kick, if it's a repeat offender, then bans. This would be the best implementation, were you to go forward.
            • Feb 9, 2012
              There's not need to have it auto ban or auto kick or anything. Blocking the msg itself and telling the player that the message contains an inappropriate word is good enough.
              There are always other ways to say what we need to, this is whats is the great thing about our english language.
              [sorry for the inapropriate words im about to use to demonstrate]
              For example:
              Nigg*r --> african america, black
              Chink --> asian, dent, oriental?
              wetback, beaner --> sweaty back, mexican, cuban, latin.

You get the idea. if they choose to use a common racial slur just to say something otherwise, then they obviously are using it for the wrong reason. i see no need to say ''there is a chink in your armor'' when you can easily say ''there is a weak spot in your armor'' or ''there is a dent in your armor''.

Laziness has nothing to do with it at all, when im deep in a game, i won't always notice the chat or it's hard to see a chat and check on other things at the same time. once i ended up having to ask an admin to join the game with me because way too much was going on for me to handle (someone said something racist in chat and i didn't even notice, there was an inapropriate spray, people were saying crap on mic, and some were griefing). If anything, racist words don't appear as often as we think so it's not like we're on the patrol to check chat everytime something pops up.

TL,DR : Just block inapropriate words (no kick/ban), whether they're used in the wrong context or not there are other ways to say what you need to say. ex: Chink>Dent.
            • May 14, 2011
              I think if it says "Racism is not Allowed" every so often thats good enough.
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Mar 20, 2011
                Auto ban plug in, please hard code player name @DopeScope J/K :razz:
              • Nov 11, 2011
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Mar 20, 2011
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Feb 18, 2011
                    No other word but that can I attribute to being okay in a different context.

I sugested this too, just warn em yourself so you can do a little more work. Sometimes it works out for the greater good.
                  • Jun 4, 2006