Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Server kicking active players for reserved slots

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Jake, Dec 30, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 30, 2011
    I understand that in the server, there are reserved slots for admins/donators.

When said admin/donator wishes to enter the server while it is full, the server kicks x number of players. Sometimes it kicks active players who are in the middle of playing. More annoyingly so when I'm playing Minas and I'm only 1 win away from White Knight, when all of a sudden I get kicked... You can understand how frustrating that would be.

Could you please change it so that it kicks only spectators/AFKs to free up space for reserved slots in future? Any attempt at this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies

2. Aug 1, 2011
    Easier said than done. Easy solution for you would be to purchase donator, its cheap and supports the community as well as gives you access to the reserved spot and you won't be one of those people kicked.
  3. Dec 7, 2010
    The AFK Kicker is currently setup to only kick those in spectate. It should not kick players in game or dead status.

The criteria on the AFK Kicker is to remove people that are in spectate for a set period of time. The exceptions as you indicated are admins, donators and mappers.

I personally have not witnessed any events where the AFK Kicker had removed people that was not already in spectate.
  4. Apr 9, 2007
    Intended functionality.

If a donor wants to play, it should kick players from Spec ->in game.

EDIT: To clarify, the AFK system is separate from the Reserved Slot system.
  5. Jan 21, 2011
    Easy solution: Become a donator.
  6. Dec 30, 2011
    I've been thinking of buying donator, but at the moment there are much more important things that require my spending

I'm not talking about the AFK kicker specifically, I'm complaining about the server kicking active players for reserved slots, which in my opinion is unfair. The server has kicked me twice now, (once on Minas Tirith, and once on Voodoo Islands) both instances were when I was actively playing the maps.

I'm afraid it doesn't prioritise spectators for kicking when a reserved slot is taken. Twice now I have been kicked for a reserved slot whilst actively playing the map, both times there were several people spectating.

I understand the two systems are seperate, but isn't it possible for the reserved slot system to work co-operatively with the AFK system to pick out the AFKs and kick them for reserved slots instead of active players?
  7. Nov 14, 2010
    The AFK kicker kicks people that don't show any console/command activities. Hense, AFK - assuming they are away from keyboard.
    It will not kick spectators unless those spectators are actually AFK, meaning they haven't pressed anything on their keyboard or they haven't moved/used their mouse.
    If there are no players that are recorded AFK by the AFK kicker, and the server is full, the reserve slots is going to kick anyone that is active on the server.

Though they may not be playing the actual game, they are still active according to the AFK kicker.
    So in spectate or not, the reserve slots will kick someone to make room for VIP members.
    I'm sorry the reserve slot seems to choose you more often out of the bunch, but that's just how priority works.
    Like a few people said before, buy donator.
    THAT, or become an admin/mapper.
    Otherwise, there is nothing that can be done because that's just how it works.
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    No need to explain how it works, I know how it all works

I want it changed so that if space is needed for a reserved slot, it should kick spectators first, and then proceed to kick active, in-game players. It seems simple, so surely it is possible?
  9. Jul 4, 2011
    He's talking about the reserved slot kicker, not the AFK. What he means is;

Server's full and a donator joins > check for and kick spectators, if no spectators, kick a random player.
  10. Nov 14, 2010
    It probably is possible, but not going to happen.
    Obviously I didn't explain well enough.

Why should spectators have to suffer as well?
    It's not their fault a map they dislike is currently playing, and they'd rather spec till a map change.

If they were AFK spectators, sure, they'll be kicked, but not by reserve slots.
    They'll be kicked by the AFK kicker.
  11. Jul 4, 2011
    I still think it should prioritize kicking someone who don't want to play/AFK over someone actually playing.
  12. Nov 14, 2010
    Well that's a matter of opinion then, and that decision is left up to certain people.
    I think if they don't like it, they should donate.
  13. Feb 18, 2011
    The whole point of kicking you is to make you want donor more. Buy it dude, doesnt cost much and comes with a shitton of perks. Its totaly worth it .
  14. Jun 4, 2006
    Are you sure those in spectate aren't all donors/admins themselves as well?

Our setting on ZE: sm_reserve_type 1

As you can see, it _should_ prioritize spectators. :confused:
  15. Dec 30, 2011
    The point of the game is to play and escape from the zombies, people who want to do that are unable to because of idle people sat in spectate providing nothing to the team.

I know if they're AFK they'll be kicked by the AFK kicker, but that has nothing to do with my suggestion
  16. Dec 30, 2011
    That's not fair at all, it's like saying 'give us a tenner or you're kicked'

If I had the money to spend (which I don't) I'd buy admin all year round, I have other things in my life that take priority over CSS so I hardly ever have any disposable cash left at the end of the week.

Thanks for the explanation, Brian. However, the two times I've been kicked for a reserved slot there's been many spectators (atleast 6)and I doubt all of them were admins/donators. Although, I always have high latency with me living in the UK but I can't help that.
  17. Apr 9, 2007
    We're not using that.
  18. Jun 10, 2011
    In which case it may be the high latency that's getting you kicked, not an admin/donator connecting.

I live in the UK also, and was requently removed from the servers automatically before I became an admin.

Can you be certain of what is removing you? Can you get a friend to screenshot the in-server message when you get kicked?
  19. Jun 4, 2006
    Thanks for clearing up what we ARE using and what the intended behavior is... :whistling:
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    My latency never gets me kicked, or so I'm told by the console anyway. Both the times I have been kicked for a reserved slot I got told by console that I was kicked for a reserved slot. So it's not due to high latency, I'm sure of this

The next time it happens I will screenshot my console to show you guys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.