Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Server Rollback

Discussion in Minecraft started by Thorazine, Feb 1, 2012

1. Jan 14, 2008
    Someone still working on this? Dynmap is showing a recent image from earlier today. Lots of ppl including me are hoping we don't lose a week's worth of work.

Did mcbackup fail? Now that I think about it I haven't seen those backup chat messages for days. Logblock has been broken too.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    If SAVE is the only thing that writes the current MC world to actual files (which seems odd), and there was no auto-save plugin installed from the time the MC worlds were moved from the HD to RAM, then yes, the last weeks worth would be lost. This seems silly though, MC does a shit load of I/O hence why it was moved into ram in the first place, thus the world files in ram would be updated, and there was a cron that ran every 5 mins which took the world contents in ram, and copied them to the HD for safe keeping. When the box was rebooted, the contents on the HD were moved back into ram. Either the script that copied files from ram to the HD failed, the cron failed, or as stated previously the server didn't have an auto-save plugin, which I don't think is the case, and even if it were the case I still think MC writes the world as shit changes, not whenever the save command is ran, but I could be wrong - I'm just speculating. :confused:

This is all of course presuming that shit was indeed lost, which may not be the case.
  3. Jan 14, 2008
    Thanks for the update. I'm not going to start rebuilding yet, in case tonight's work gets overwritten too. :smile:
  4. Jun 4, 2006
    I'm pretty confident it was entirely overwritten, unfortunately... seems the contents on the HD match what's in ram. I'll try to pinpoint the issue so it doesn't happen again, but from what I've checked it should be fine from here on out.

Also confirmed there is indeed a world saver plugin installed, so the issue was likely due to the cron / world backup script, which I've since edited.