Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Server Rules

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Thorazine, Jan 20, 2008

1. Jan 14, 2008
    I think the server rules need to be easier to read in-game.

- On the login screen at 1024x768 (which is typical if you want high fps) the PF graphic is nice but it's HUGE and that's all you really see before clicking ok and choosing a side.

Solution? Graphic needs to be smaller so that the list of rules can at least be partially seen and give you a reason to scroll down.

- Typing !rules ingame really sucks. It's a neat feature but not only does it completely interrupt the game with a login box and a lag spike while it loads a forum page, I can't even scroll down to read it. Again at 1024 all I can see is a big PF forum graphic and the topic of the post. I'm wondering if that's typical. I've heard a few others complain about it.

Solution? Point the !rules to a plain text page with no graphics, please. If someone is going to sacrifice gameplay to read them, it shouldn't be that difficult and buggy.

- While I do have a sense of game balance and I understand why there are illegal camping spots, most kids don't. They just think it's bullshit admin abuse when teleporters are set up and/or they get harassed for being in those spots. They also think if the map designer put it there, they have every right to use it.

Solution? Add a few simple explanations to the rules:

1) Illegal spots are the price you pay for having completely unlimited ammo with no reloads.

2) Admins can make some spots like high, narrow ledges off-limits when it's obvious that zombies have no chance of reaching one or more defenders.

Edit: 3) These maps were not designed specifically for Plague Fest gameplay. Until we get a good map editor/designer or scripts to automatically set up teleports, please respect Admin decisions on where you can and cannot camp.

2. Jul 31, 2007
    Thats a really good idea and I totaly agree, the "!rules" bit should be a nice short plain text file.
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    I tried implementing a !rules script that popped shit up in a menu, didn't work out too well. Maybe I'll ask Jordan to help out with something, I know right now he's working on this weird script called "Exploding Zombie"
  4. Dec 7, 2007
    I think those are some great ideas Thorazine.I hate when people dont listen and follow the rules,then bitch about it.I dislike spots where zombies have no chance........its like whats the point,and takes all the fun out of playing. :thumbsup:
  5. Jan 14, 2008
    Thanks all for the thumbs up. It's not going to make everyone read them (or follow them for that matter) but it might help. It's mostly for when there isn't an admin on and one of us has to tell some idiot to READ THE RULES and they insist on bitching/crying/arguing about it. They're certainly not going to disconnect to look at the login screen which practically everyone skips past as fast as possible. And some of them whined that they couldn't read the !rules so I decided to check it out. Somewhat in their defense I found they actually couldn't because neither could I.
  6. Jan 11, 2007
    Excellent suggestions, Thorazine. I agree completely with every point you have brought up in this thread.
  7. Feb 21, 2007
  8. Jan 14, 2008
    The !rules page is still not scrolling. Just got into yet another argument with several players who hadn't/couldn't read them and didn't understand why we were griefing them for being in unfair spots.
  9. Dec 30, 2006
    Im not sure if throwing the server rules into a blank html page would make it easier to display in the motd? I might do it but I have to talk with cam or kyle first.
  10. Apr 9, 2007
    The rules are in the MOTD (First page you see when you join look below the Plaguefest logo)
  11. Dec 30, 2006
    I know that kyle, i was saying would it be easier if the rules were just displayed in the motd so you didn't have to scroll down hence a blank html page with just a little banner and the rules. No scrolling required.
  12. Jan 14, 2008
    Ya, make the motd graphic smaller and point !rules to that same page plz.
  13. Mar 17, 2007
    Or hell just make a custom MOTD, not linked to PF.
  14. Posts
    As if, nobody looks at the MOTD. :rolleyes:
  15. Mar 17, 2007

Edit: But then again why else would this thread have started. :banana:
  16. Dec 30, 2006
    I guess that is the point but most rules are just common sense anyways. Dont spam, dont hack, are pretty common sense. Than the no camping in spots you can crawl in pops up every once and a while.
  17. Jan 14, 2008
    Um. It happens constantly when no admin is on. Every map. They go straight for the crawl spaces because that's what they're used to doing everywhere else. The rules don't bother to explain why that's unfair, it doesn't even mention the crawling part, and (again) they can't even read the !rules and had no idea they were on the motd because of that huge fookin graphic. They aren't spamming, blocking, or hax0ring but they still get yelled at for doing something perfectly acceptable on almost every other server. Hell even I got yelled at for camping some of my favorite spots when I first started playing here.

PF is pretty unique and so are the crawl space rules. It's like changing a few of the normal rules and expectations, hiding them, and then saying ignorance of the law is no excuse. I don't think a couple minor info changes to make things easier on newer players is too much to ask for.
  18. Jan 14, 2008

"It displays the rules to every player who connects. You can choose 1 (agree) or 2 (not agree, = kick) to get rid of the rule display (well that can be bypassed, but anyway the players should notice it)."

I'm not too keen on the kicking part, that should be removed. At least display the rules in a way that cannot possibly be missed and just press 1 to close the box. It's a very simple script.
  19. Dec 30, 2006
    Ive seen that script before, the only thing though would it decrease player count in the server?
  20. Jan 14, 2008
    Why would that decrease player counts? If anything, new players would be more likely to stick around if they don't get yelled at and/or admin 'abused' within a few minutes for doing something acceptable anywhere else. Why is it not obvious that unusual rules need to be more obvious? I'm sick of explaining why crawlspaces are illegal in game. So is everyone else who cares about the rules and has to try to enforce them. Fine, forget the script, it was just another suggestion. But please do something.