Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Server software updated.

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Ray, May 10, 2011

1. Aug 18, 2006
    Earlier we upgraded the kernel (2.6.38-gentoo-r4) on the server and updated various packages. We hope that the updates, combined with the server rack move that also occurred tonight, will help to address some of the issues some users were having, especially with pings. The downtime was unexpectedly extended when the network would not boot up as a result of OpenRc removing regex support to make their shit POSIX compliant (dumb). This required us to reconfigure the network on our end. In a sense, we are running a new OS install. Thanks goes out to Kyle for doing the update and leaving me to reconfigure the network. :tongue:

We also tested a new kernel setup, a heavily patched kernel with BFS (Brain Fuck Scheduler) on a 300Hz timer, but BFS started to throttle SRCDS after a certain point because it recognised it as a CPU whore. We aren't running this kernel as a result, but it was an interesting performance test.

Please post feedback. Server pings, at the very least, should not spike to 400 any more. Ideally, average pings will be lower and lag will be reduced.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    When would it be a suitable time to test without BFS?
  3. May 27, 2008
    I'm checking my limbs and everything seems in place. Looks like we're okay on this one! :grin: