Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

SETI

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Ray, Jul 24, 2011

1. Aug 18, 2006

https://setistars.org/donations/new
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    Personally I think the intelligent life that is out there has evolved into a digital form and has/is evolved/evolving so incredibly fast that we wouldn't be able to recognize it as life and they would have absolutely no interest in us.

For instance, the static that is always gathered by SETI and any sort of receiver could in all likelyhood be the intelligent life that they are looking for. What I mean is one of the most recent winners of the Fields Medal, Cédric Villani of the Henri Poincaré Institute in Paris, received that honor for his work in the principles of entropy. He found that entropy increases at varying rates: sometimes faster, sometimes slower. (The study had something to do with the dispersion of gas) That makes entropy, in my simple understanding, at the very least, a binary system capable of containing a coded sequence, perhaps one that houses a reversible computational structure. It is conceivable that a life form could evolve to a point that it would be able to code those increases in entropy, a sort of subatomic computing. Perhaps that seems really sci-fi, but I think the reasoning is sound.

tl;dr I'm sorta a singularity nerd :geek:
  3. Mar 25, 2011
    I knew about SETI before it was cool :geek: Donated already!
  4. Feb 21, 2007
  5. Nov 2, 2010
    I saw a few Discovery shows on SETI usually on quite late, but really makes me think! I always get a nice pack of popcorn before watching their stuff. Very mind blowing..
  6. Feb 17, 2011
    haha when i read the title i thought u meant setti (the cracked css site) and i thought the heat finally got to u and now asking for donation for that xD