Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Should I finish Holmes Escape or do something new?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by ZombieFurbie, Jul 20, 2013

Should I finish Holmes Escape or do something new?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2013.
Finish this map! 23 vote(s) 51.1%
Work on something else instead! 9 vote(s) 20.0%
Quit mapping! (The doctor option) 13 vote(s) 28.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 19, 2012
    So i've been absent for a while, pretty much when Source SDK blew up I quit mapping for a while, but now that the new SDK's out, i'm ready to get cracking again.

First, what holmes USED to be (what you played in march):

via http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i87_P9tZP5Q

Now, as much as i'd like to start a new map, I feel like I have unfinished business with Holmes. Things have improved, and i've done a lot of work on the map in the time I had with it. In fact, to get a better idea of what is new, here are some screenshots which i've been holding back for a while:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

If you have played this map on any prior version, you are probably seeing areas you don't even remember being in the map, because i've overhauled the level of detail in each of the levels while utilizing new methods of optimization to consolidate entity count.

I also have a new defend marker that will be used about once per level to indicate the times require for certain defend points..

[IMG]

So as it is right now, i'm pretty close to completion of the new version, but there are still things I need to tweak, and still things I need to add. It will be quite some work I expect as I need to redo the skybox as well as add new mission structure to certain levels (extending the prologue in particular), but before I go forth on it, I would like your opinion: Should I finish this map, or work on something new instead?

You can see more footage of an old beta build on my livestream account:

http://www.livestream.com/counterst...a5f9&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb
  2. Oct 18, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Jul 8, 2012
      • Like Like x 1
      • Sep 25, 2010
        Why are you asking us what you should do? Do what pleases you.
        • Agree Agree x 6
        • Good Idea Good Idea x 2
        • Oct 18, 2012
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • Jul 14, 2010
            If you put off this map, you might as well put of the next map. Procrastination never solved anything :razz:
            • Like Like x 1
            • Mar 20, 2012
              Honestly? I enjoyed the map for what it was, hard and confusing at times but it was fun non the less. If you ARE close to finishing, i say go for it, but if you're sick of it then do as you please.
              • Agree Agree x 2
                tarot, Jul 20, 2013 Last edited by tarot, Jul 20, 2013
              • Jul 20, 2010

Never found the map enjoyable, the music selection was beyond horrible as well. It seems like maybe now you're actually listening to people about the issues with your map instead of just being close minded and thinking that you're a map king that knows everything. Your stock as a mapper in my opinion is very low the way you handled yourself when people brought up issues about the map that NEEDED to be fixed, you got a long road a head of you.

EDIT: Also if you want to make a new map should make one about the Boston Marathon :grin:
                • Funny Funny x 4
                • May 15, 2011
                  I am more than willing to help with this. Could even have the president as a hostage, just to add dynamic.
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Mar 12, 2008
                    You just added yourself to the CIA, NSA, and FBI watch list at the same time with that sentence. #Snowden
                    • Funny Funny x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • May 15, 2011

[IMG]
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Nov 17, 2012
                        Don't quit mapping but perhaps create another map. Holmes was a good idea / concept but was rather broken and everything kinda looked like it was randomly put in, not tying anything together. I admire your passion for innovation (ZE needs some, items + boss fights are so old now (I miss the old days >_<)) Now I'm not sure what happened between Doctor and yourself but just forget all that and make another map :smile:
                      • Dec 6, 2011
                        The lack of maturity in this thread is ridiculous.

Do what pleases you as Detonator advised. The map really has some potential, I just haven't been around much to continue helping with it, nor had the time to actually sit down for a whole day and fix up the map with you. Maybe we can get it going again soon, since the busy schedule will change.

Also, ANSWER THE QUESTRION.
                        • Agree Agree x 4
                        • Apr 4, 2009
                          No map is ever perfect, people always look back on what they have done and wish they could change things (@Luffaren pred elevator no offense). To me the dislike and view of this map was more of a mob mentality then anything. You have a chance to change it and fix it to what you want so take that opportunity to improve it.

It wasn't a horrible map people saw how you reacted when they criticized it and it became the acceptable view. I don't have an interest in mapping and I know I can't make what you did, the only thing I view in a map is how it will fit into the server.

To call a map garbage or horrible and to tell someone to quit mapping is a bit far, it in no way is bad enough for the reaction it received. It's by no means perfect and it did seem like it was smashed together with no clear vision but to call it horrible is out of place.
                          • Agree Agree x 5
                          • Funny Funny x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • May 31, 2012
                            I loved your map dude! Glad to see you around. I don't know what these other fools are talking about they are just freakin' haters.
                          • Dec 6, 2011
                            It was a bandwagon of ass-hatery that was practically middle school level maturity. I agree with you I did enjoy the map, but however, I also agree with @Haplo about how it was slapped together. The open world idea can still work, but there are many problems that need to be resolved, which is why I attempted to take large chunks of time out of my schedule to help you.
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Apr 4, 2009
                              If there is a way to make the defense marker smaller and off to the side use it for every hold.
                            • Feb 11, 2012
                              • Agree Agree x 4
                              • Mar 26, 2012

- I liked the map, but I don't believe it's truly open world. DayZ is open world. :grin:
                                - I didn't think it was pleasant to the eye. You already told me you had to cut some things out of the map to make the rest of it prettier, or just deal with it. :[
                                - I think most people hated your map because you trash talked other mappers and maps. :[
                                - I don't think your map should have been removed in the first place.

1st and 3rd screenshot looks like what I remember. The other two don't look familiar to me.

I think Holmes Escape has kinda dragged out longer than it needed to be. Make some final clean up updates, and work on something new. Like I said in Steam chat, long time no see, missed ya, hope to see ya stick around. :smile:
                                • Informative Informative x 1
                                • Jul 23, 2012
                                  Because I'm not allowed to have an opinion right?
                                  • Agree Agree x 3
                                  Thread Status:
                                  Not open for further replies.