Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Skybox help

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by sajak, Feb 4, 2013

1. Nov 11, 2011
    How do I fix the lighting between the 3d skybox and the map? I forgot how to fix this. :confused:

[IMG]
    Post Merged, Feb 4, 2013
    Placing the light_environment in map or in the skybox makes no difference.
  2. May 14, 2011
    Bit of a hit and miss but did you use the skybox texture on the inside of the box where the 3d skybox is? The 3D skybox isn't being lit up here. If you used the skybox texture on the inside of the 3d skybox box it should act like any other "Skybox wall" and emit light.

I feel I'm missing something.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Oh, I'm thinking my floor in the map is overlapping with the one in the skybox. I forgot to cut out the part of the skybox where the map will go in. I think. :quiet:
      Post Merged, Feb 4, 2013
      Yeah, I basically created a skybox texture on all sides.
    • May 15, 2011
      IIRC, you need to add a light_environment and environment_sun, copy pasta'd into the Skybox. I could be wrong, I haven't played with Skybox's in a long time.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        env_sun shouldn't make any difference afaik. I've used it before for other maps. :heart:
      • May 31, 2012
        The 3D skybox is lit by the light environment on the map, so I'm quite sure it's not that. It looks like the map area near the 3D skybox 'starting' line is affected by nearby lights. You could, to solve it, extend the 'normal' map area and just clip it there to your liking.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Instead of extending the normal map, I removed all lighting around that area but the results are the same.

zm_desert_burial_v1a_rc6sb0001
        • Feb 24, 2011
          Do you happen to have the 3d skybox below the "main" world?
          I believe the shadows from the "upper world" can affect the skybox below, but i'm not 100% sure.
          • May 14, 2011
            Add a light in your 3d skybox and see what happens?

Luff and envi are probably correct.
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • May 31, 2012

It seems that the 3D skybox is being lit like if it had something over it/blocking the light, could you take a hammer pic of the actual box of the 3D sky?
              • Nov 11, 2011
                I have the 3d skybox on the side of the main world. Although, I've never had issues when I've placed the skybox above or below the main world.
                I think you're right. When I was building my 3d skybox and resized it, I never removed the area where the normal map would fit into. So the floor of the real world is overlapping with the floor of the skybox.

[IMG]
                Post Merged, Feb 4, 2013
                And I got rid of all the unnecessary props/brushes from the skybox, just took a pic with the bare floor only.
              • Feb 24, 2011
                You could also make the 3d skybox into a prop and set the lighting origin on it. Just add a trigger/brush entity and set the origin to a clear lit-up area and you should be fine. (I've had some strange issues with getting info_targets/other point entities to work as a lighting origin)
                • Like Like x 1
                • May 31, 2012
                  hmmm... It shouldn't matter, but adjust the size of the gigantic skybox cube a bit if you can and try making a 'hole' in the area where the normal map is. How did you align it, did you do the old trick of putting the sky_camera in the origin or by trial and error?
                  • Apr 9, 2012
                    This is just one more example of the crappines that static lighting brings in from Source :s
                    At the other hand, it's very efficient as it's completely free.

Up to the subject, I have a hard time figuring out what is happening. 3D Skybox elements get lit by the environment_light as well, but DO differ in lighting after all. This however looks pretty hard qua difference... Try using another texture and see if it isn't simply due to the texture (by pure chance...)
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Jul 4, 2011
                      Did you change the lightmap scale? If not, that may be it. 3kliksphilip explains it pretty well in this video (2:40).
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Jan 13, 2013
                        You could try this. Pit a light entity of some sort (assuming the skybox wont be super detailed. and just test around to get the correct position. As for a lit 3d skybox thats detailed, i dont even know of one that has ever been lit, except for potc which still has a lighting difference in it. Also, make the the env_sun is placed at the propper position above the skybox and real world. Placement is everything when it comes to that sun. You need to have the coordinates affect both areas of the map.
                      • Nov 11, 2011
                        I use the origin of my grid to line up the skybox. I also made the hole where the map fits into, no difference.

Not the texture, nothing in the vmt.

Yeah, tried changing the lightmap scale but made absolutely no difference.

I've said already that I know how to use env_sun... and it won't help one bit since this is a night time map. And if it's a day time map, not only is the light_environment important, but so are the positioning and settings of env_sun, shadow control, angles, etc.

I'm going to go with enviolinador's theory that the somehow the lighting from the real part of the map is somehow affecting the 3d skybox. I'll post back in a few after I extend the normal map further away from the lights.
                      • Nov 11, 2011
                        Okay, I increased the real world map size and I think envil is right... the lighting from the regular map is reaching too far out (I usually don't set the fall off distances on my lighting). I made the image a little brighter so you can see the difference.

[IMG]
                      • Nov 11, 2011
                        I guess ultimately it was just an issue of real world lighting illuminating past the imaginary 3d skybox start line so it had an abrupt ending. Well, decided to do this shit instead. Had to make a sacrifice :pain: . Thanks to everyone who responded! :heart:

[IMG]
                        • Like Like x 2