Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

SLI Temps

Discussion in Technical Support started by N B K, Jun 14, 2013

1. Mar 19, 2011
    So after running some benchmarks I have discovered that of my 2 GPUs one runs significantly hotter.. about ~20 degrees give or take. It has me a bit puzzled because my case has pretty good airflow Imo and I have some pretty nice fans (Case is pretty dust free). I have 2 Asus Direct Cu II cards that have pretty good cooling designs.

https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX670DC2T2GD5/

Another thing to note is that I'm running at stock clocks (been a bit lazy about OCing) and that I have set my own fan curve.

I am curious is this normal for dual-card setups and also why is this occurring? Shouldn't there be a 5-10 degree difference max?
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Mostly depends on the case. With cards like those, they're really just spitting air all around in there if you don't have a top-notch case with a near-perfect direction of airflow. What kind of case do you have?
  3. Feb 9, 2012
    well with SLI, arent they nearly next to each other, so one is actually just intaking hot air from the other rather than new fresh air. only way to stop that is probably having an intake fan that flows in the direction of the gap between the two.
  4. Mar 19, 2011
    Fractal Define r4 and I'd like to think I have pretty good airflow as I have more intake fans. I have also replaced all the case fans with aftermarket fans (2 Cougar Vortexes, 2 Thermalright TY-147s)

Here's a mini album of my PC; (Meh cable management can be better)

http://imgur.com/a/ouHgv#0

First image shows fan orientation, 2 front intake fans, 1 intake at the bottom and 1 exhaust at the back of the case.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    Holy shit man, that's way too cramped for SLI. Besides the bad cord management restricting airflow, the top card is feeding off of the bottom card's heat. Not only that, but there's no airflow going THROUGH the cards, maybe just a little in the front where the front fans bring air to the CPU cooler. The reason I've always stuck by the Raven RV02 for recommending it to others is because you have a perfect direction of airflow (straight upwards) going over each component equally and allowing exit airflow near the top with the 120mm exhaust fan (where the 120mm radiator is). The three Air Penetrator fans on the bottom bring up air and push it across the GPU, CPU, PSU, and Drives, sending an uninterrupted flow of heat away from the parts and out the top of the case. Other cases can also achieve this good, uninterrupted direction of airflow, this was just an example.

RV02-E
    [IMG]
  6. Mar 19, 2011
    Yeah actually looking at the images I do have to agree.. Main issue now that I look at is that Hard Drive cage Im sure if I removed it and found other mounting places it would be better. Cable management isn't great but it's not as bad as it looks (Should be the best possible though). I do wish the PCI-e slots weren't as close but nothing I can do about it, gonna probably upgrade to the x79 platform... later and probably a new case.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    Just get a new case to be honest. Everything is so packed in there, I'm surprised you haven't burnt anything out yet. Seeing how that runs makes me cringe.
  8. Feb 9, 2012
    his case looks fine to me. it's that too much isnt always a good thing. but i guess one of the main issue with the card heating is that u dont have a side panel fan option for SLI. there's very little fresh air going through ur card and the air at the top is being vacuumed by ur cpu heatsink fans
  9. May 21, 2012
  10. Mar 19, 2011
    Case: Fractal Define r4 w/Window
    Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-UD4H
    Processor/Heatsink: Intel i5-3570k/ Phanteks Ph-TC14PE
    RAM: 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Cards: 4GB Asus Direct CU II 670s (2-way SLI)
    HDD/SSD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda/128GB Samsung 840 Pro
    PSU: Seasonic 850W 80 Plus Gold

Went ahead and redid Cable management (did a better job this time around), and also tweaked my fan curve. Probably gonna retest with some benchmarks and see if it helped any.

Edit: So after finishing the benchmarks... I am not sure what to think. Afterburner seems to not be working properly. When I first did testing I noticed that GPU 1 was like 20 degrees higher than GPU 2. Now after re-testing, it seems GPU 2 is the one that raises temperatures while GPU 1 stays nearly the same in temperatue even while benchmarking? >.>
    N B K, Jun 14, 2013 Last edited by N B K, Jun 14, 2013
  11. Feb 9, 2012
    well i still think biggest factor is getting some fresh air between those 2 gpus. if only u had an intake fan on the side panel. have u tried testing the temp without the side panels on?