Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion SMAC speed hack suppression

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by Seeker, Aug 6, 2014

1. Jan 21, 2011
    Is there a way to shut off the speed hack suppression part of SMAC when an admin is on? It would make it much easier to get on demo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • Jul 14, 2010
      I just ran into someone attempting to speed hack but it didn't work so they stopped. I was thinking of banning him for attempting to hack with a shady demo but decided not to. Should we allow SMAC to prevent these hackers and allow them to stay in the game or should we try to ban players who attempt to hack with demos? I think this SMAC prevention is good for when admins aren't on at various times in the day, but it does make it tough to get a good demo.
    • Oct 11, 2012
      I'm not an admin so I'm not inclined to the same access, but I believe seeker is referring to an issue he had with Kinetic earlier tonight where he perm'd him then later revoked it. I spoke to Kinetic shortly after as I was very surprised he would have been hacking. He indicated he left his PC for about two hours and then came back and it was all laggy and such. You can see in the demo Seeker provided on the ban what I mean. It appears Seeker thought it may be a lag/packet loss problem but all his checks appeared to come back fine.

Not sure if this helps provide insight into why Seeker brings this up, but I reviewed the demo and it was interesting to say the least. SMAC said speedhack, but visually it looked like a packet loss/lag problem to me. Seeker unbanned and labeled it a goofy bug. Perhaps others with more intimate knowledge on SMAC/Admin usage might understand better than myself.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I've experienced SMAC speedhack suppression on Serpentis Temple, as something that Medusa does messes with SMAC. If SMAC thinks you're speedhacking, it will suppress you. So if there is some weird kind of parenting bug in a map (Serpentis) or you are getting random frame rate drops or packet loss, it will suppress you, even if you're not speed hacking.

To be honest, i don't think there is anything we can really do about speed hackers. Because whether or not someone is speed hacking, it will always suppress them if SMAC thinks they are Speed Hacking. My advice is to just leave the suspected Speed Hackers alone, and watch them for other hacks, unless they are still somehow breaking the suppression and going super fast. But if they're bouncing forward and back, ignore it.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jan 21, 2011
        Not just him. SMAC will go off if they're using a speed hack and suppress it which makes it look like they're lagging. SMAC will also go off if they're lagging really bad and their movement will appear identical. The same bug happened to me shortly after it happened to him, so I unbanned him.
        I banned him because SMAC also said he was using a no-recoil hack, but I was unable to verify it as he never shot anything. He then reconnected, and SMAC was not going off so it seemed he had unloaded his hack when his reconnection had just gotten rid of the bug.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Mar 30, 2013
          Type speed.toggle in console to get perm banned by SMAC Speed-Hack.
        • Jun 4, 2006
          I permaban speedhackers if I can verify it's not their connection or the map causing the detection. nt_display helps. Generally speaking you're right, looking out for other hacks less prone to false positives is always a safe route, but if you see a player that appears to be speedhacking, or lagging, and he's setting smac off... don't ignore it, investigate, nt_display him, check his latency, his location with pinfo, see how far away from the server he is and so forth. If he lives close, his latency is low, he continually triggers smac (remember smac messages only show once, then are suppressed for 30 seconds before showing again, so it's possible for him to appear as if he's lagging without setting off smac AFTER he's already triggered smac), isn't complaining about lag, etc... chances are he's speedhacking. You can google his id for bans on other servers as well, perhaps he speedhacked on a server that didn't have smac loaded and got banned for it.

As far as @Seeker's feature request goes, this isn't something we would add to the smac module ourselves. The suggestion belongs on the alliedmodders forum in the smac section. It sounds like you basically want a convar added where server owners can specify if they want the speedhack module to suppress a hacker's speed if any admins are currently connected. e.g., smac_speed_supression_mode <0 - always on | 1 - always off | 2 - off only when admins are connected>.
        • Jan 21, 2011
          Or smac is glitching out and says the player is speed hacking and triggering eye angles while suppressing their movement speed making them look like they're lagging but their ping is fine so they get banned because smac decided to be stupid.

I guess I'll take my case to allied modders and see what they say.